• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2011
    I really liked the clip from THE JAR, it's still stuck in my head.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2011 edited
    Odd comment from Varese on the Midway release:

This is a historic album. Midway was the only remaining John Williams score composed since Jaws to have never received an official soundtrack release. That has now been rectified and the gap has finally been closed.

Varese actually released this album before (in 1998), which is the version I own.
    So this rerelease is hardly "historic".
    I suspect they just CTRL-C/CTRL-V'd the original review to the new release without checking?

Anyway, on the music: it's actually one of the least interesting Williams scores I have heard.
    I really like the theme/march...but that's it. There simply isn't much more to the score, which just babbles along without much clarity, direction or statement. Much like the film, come to think of it. smile
    If you are on a budget, I wouldn't recommend this score.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. I think what they mean is that this is a release of the original soundtrack as used in the film. The previous release I think may have been a re-recording.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ah. I guess that's possible. smile
    I still don't enjoy it very much though.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The previous release IS indeed a rerecording.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Timmer wrote
    I really liked the clip from THE JAR, it's still stuck in my head.

"The Jar" is my least favourite of the clips. Reading the FSM forum this one seems to be the one that is most anticipated. But, for me, I just don't like that sort of calliope/circus-sounding music.

Now the style heard in the "Death Scene" suite clip, that's more my style!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Oh dear Varese. Did somebody put together the new CD Club banner on the front page and forget to change the Photoshop blending options? It even has the default yellow tint around it.

#godimsuchageek cry
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Anthony wrote
    #godimsuchageek cry

biggrin
    Aren't you though?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I don't like the Midway re-recording, but it doesn't sound like a particularly good re-recording to me so I always wondered whether I'd like the original one any more. I don't think I'm willing to pay $20 + shipping to find out.

I'd certainly be interested in the Herrmann set and the Beltrami but I just noticed in my pile of unopened CDs is the first volume of that Herrmann set, so what's the point of buying the second? And I can't even remember the last time I listened to the first release of Mimic, so what's the point? Am I finally learning my lesson?
  3. Southall wrote
    I'd certainly be interested in the Herrmann set and the Beltrami but I just noticed in my pile of unopened CDs is the first volume of that Herrmann set, so what's the point of buying the second? And I can't even remember the last time I listened to the first release of Mimic, so what's the point? Am I finally learning my lesson?

Those statements would get you tarred and feathered by some at the FSM board. How dare you not buy EVERYTHING ever released (even if you already own some version of it).

That being said. I wonder why so many of us are changing our buying habits? Is it just the worldwide financial crisis, oversaturation, changing tastes, etc.? I still haven't gotten around to buying McKenzie's the "Great Miracle" something I would've purchased instantly a few years ago.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2011
    Yeah it's interesting. I would have bought 1941 from La La land without any thought at all a couple of years back. Can't really afford to buy everything I want nowdays (not that I really could then either).
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    I'll be sure to pick up Midway. That secondary march is great (it's a bit like Patton - where the second march is better than the main one).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote
    Yeah it's interesting. I would have bought 1941 from La La land without any thought at all a couple of years back. Can't really afford to buy everything I want nowdays (not that I really could then either).

Same here Pal, I'm with you, Nathan and a few others on this.
  4. Herrmann box:
    http://www.varesesarabande.com/servlet/ … 0th/Detail
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2011

Impressive, although most -- if not all -- of those have had some form of release previously.
    I am extremely serious.

5. That is an impressive set and there are several titles that do offer significant additions to what is currently available.

But asking people to fork out $200.00 in one go for all these titles (and goodness knows how much more for shipping and custom tax duties)? I am a big fan of Herrmann but you have got to be joking! I see people on other forums talking how much of a "bargain" this is - $15.00 a disc - but I don't think that I have ever forked out that much for film music in one go.

As well as the price (and the inclusion of a lot of stuff I already have), there are a couple of things that put me off buying this:

1) Several titles that have been "exclusives" contained in previous boxes have subsequently appeared as single CD releases from other labels

2) Several titles that have been "exclusives" contained in previous boxes have subsequently appeared as digital download releases

It is good to see that Varese has deemed that the economic crisis is past and feel confident that they can sell this...but I see that it does appear to be selling well. Which is good - it has been a good year for Herrmann fans.

Hopefully the 1,000 units will sell out and then the choice titles from the box will be released individually at a later date.

There. Rant over! shame
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    yeah

100% in agreement Alan.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    There is no way I can afford this one.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  6. I guess we have a new phrase then:

"I cannot afford this watermelon!"
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2011
    sdtom wrote
    Tom

Having said that I'm pretty sure it will sell out.
    Tom
  7. sdtom wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Tom

Having said that I'm pretty sure it will sell out.
    Tom

You could be right about that

Fewer than 150 copies remaining
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  8. I don't have long to keep my resolve then! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2011
    Oh dear! I was going to wait until my credit at Amazon.com from Movie Wave clicks built up enough and then use that to buy it (as I did for Spartacus). Sadly that will take about two years (not joking) - not 100% sure that those 150 copies will last that long.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2011
    You can certainly bet on the fact that there were speculators making purchases.
    Tom
  9. Normally I am up to announce when the Varese Club hits -- usually coincidental to my circumstances, but tonight I am handling this huge nerd baton to another. Yes, there is another.

Whomever wants the Nerd Baton, go for it. ;-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2012 edited
    Chinatown - Jerry Goldsmith (limited to 3000)
    The Alfred Hitchcock Hour, Vol 3 - Lyn Murray, Leonard Rosenman, Lalo Schifrin and Benny Carter (limited to 1000)
    The Karate Kid, Part III - Bill Conti (limited to 1000)

Varese Encore:

Eye of The Needle - Miklos Rozsa (limited to 1000)
    Amazing Grace and Chuck - Elmer Bernstein (limited to 1000)
    The Clan of the Cave Bear - Alan Silvestri (limited to 1000)

Alien: A Biomechanical Symphony (DVD/CD) - Fimucité 3

Amazing Grace and Chuck for me perhaps. I remember enquiring about this one here a few years back and it was recommended then.
  10. not interested, but good news for those who are still searching for these titles
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  11. Is the Alfred Hitchcock set the only thing that is previously unreleased (the live concert release excepted)?
  12. I'm considering Chinatown, I have to see if I like the score enough on album, before I make the decision.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2012
    I either have them or I'm not interested.

Pass.