• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2008
    Naxos many years ago began to offer a series of 'American Classics' recordings many in the world premiere category. Ex... Many of you are familiar with the 'indian motif' sound which was quite popular in western films in the 50's. Well, I'm listening to a work from 1935 and there it is along with some jazzy Leonard Bernstein style West Side Story material.

Grofe, Anderson, Hanson, Ives, Barber, Piston and so many others. The list just goes on and on. The reason for my keen interest is this is where the roots of some of the 'hollywood' sound was formed, at least in my generation.

Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2008
    What do you think of Virgil Thomson's THE RIVER?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2008
    Thor the films he wrote for are now available from Naxos. Love his work.
    Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    Thor the films he wrote for are now available from Naxos. Love his work.
    Thomas smile

I'll take that as a heads up Tom because I didn't know that? Thompson is excellent!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Naxos has really opened up an entire new world for the listener and one of the nice things in my mind is no LOW QUANTITY ALERT nonsense. You can get what you want for many years to come at a reasonable price. You could probably even go to the library!
    Thomas smile