• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2008 edited
    Read some interesting information from the Rocky Mountain Archivist society specifically from a national parks archivist in regards to compact disc storage.

1... Make sure that your CD player is properly maintained or you have backup equipment. In 20 years it will be difficult to get equipment. Makes sense. Floppy drives for computers aren't readily available anymore.
    2... The absolute no isn't so much the jewel case as I thought but the cd booklet. While the jewel case is a #6 rating in plastic (the worst) it doesn't seem to react with the polycarbonate of the CD although for the ecology the plastic can't be recycled except at great expense. How many of these booklets are printed using archival ink on 100% acid free paper? Intrada, FSM, BSX I doubt it. Seems ironic to me that what we're going to record this material for, archival purposes, is being destroyed as I type from the information booklets.
    3...The best in terms of archiving for long term storage are the special Kodak CD's and if used nothing should be put on the CD itself in terms of writing, labels etc. You could put an adhesive label on the jewel box. The paper cd holders are worse and should be avoided.
    4...They should be stored at a temperature of 50-68 (10-20c) and rarely if ever exposed to light.
    5...What should you do? Copy the newly acquired CD onto the archival Kodak material (Gold layered) Separate the booklet from the original CD and store it away from the CD.
    6...A couple of the original batch of CD's that I first bought in 83-84 no longer work. That is roughly 25 years ago. That could be the WORM format, the ink/paper problem, oxidation of the aluminum layer, humidity, temperature. I'm not a scientist.
    7...To be 100% safe all material should be checked yearly.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
  1. Interesting.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2008
    Look forward is my advice
    Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    A bit obsessive if you ask me. What's wrong with the humble MP3?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    *Every* *single* *CD* I've ever bought (and yes, I was there at the very beginning) still works for me.
    If you ask me, all these horror stories are greatly exaggerated.
    Sure, there has been a faulty batch now and again, especially in the early days, but I'm not about to backup 1000+ CDs because of that. I'm very confident these CDs will outlast *me*. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    *Every* *single* *CD* I've ever bought (and yes, I was there at the very beginning) still works for me.
    Sure, there has been a faulty batch now and again, especially in the early days, but I'm not about to backup 1000+ CDs because of that. I'm very confident these CDs will outlast *me*. smile

Pretty much the same. I even started buyng CD's a year or two before I had a CD player.

Never had a problem.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    shocked

How did you play those cd's then???
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Bregt wrote
    shocked

MAGIC!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    shocked

I simply had the foresight to know that I'd be buying a good system complete with CD player eventually. Plus I didn't want to miss out on the scores being released.

Before that, all us dinosaurs relied upon LP's wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote

Couldn't agree more.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    I even started buyng CD's a year or two before I had a CD player.

I did the same thing.
    The very first CD I ever bought (the Return Of The Jedi with the blue lightsabre...ah...the memories. cry ) I wasn't able to play for nigh to two years. shocked

...no problem of course as I had the album as well.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2008
    I'm not suggesting that anyone do anything. I merely reported what I read in a government scientific publication. My Wes Montgomery (A&M) and Verve Jazz compilation are no longer playable on my equipment. I've no idea what the cause is nor am I willing to spend money to find out why.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    sdtom wrote
    I've no idea what the cause is nor am I willing to spend money to find out why.
    Thomas smile

smile
    A most practical attitude, Tom.
  2. sdtom wrote
    I'm not suggesting that anyone do anything. I merely reported what I read in a government scientific publication. My Wes Montgomery (A&M) and Verve Jazz compilation are no longer playable on my equipment. I've no idea what the cause is nor am I willing to spend money to find out why.
    Thomas smile

Tom, have you tried these CDs on different players? One of my Masters of The Universe CDs would not play on some CD players but would on others. I know that this isn't really the same problem but it does highlight the fact that if a CD doesn't play on one machine it may on another.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    This has also happened to me but not in this case. I have (5) different CD players ranging from the auto, car, portable, clock radio, and two hooked up to the stereo system. These two CD's which are the first two I purchased just no longer function.
    Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    I even started buyng CD's a year or two before I had a CD player.

I did the same thing.
    The very first CD I ever bought (the Return Of The Jedi with the blue lightsabre...ah...the memories. cry ) I wasn't able to play for nigh to two years. shocked

...no problem of course as I had the album as well.

I bought two, Horner's Brainstorm and Goldsmith's Legend. Brainstorm came in that long cardboard packaging, do you remember those!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The type of cardboard used would determine the length of time. Actually with all of the negative comments about the Wall-E packaging it is safe.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2008 edited
    I've never really obsessed over my collection as ITEMS. They are there to be USED, after all, and LISTENED to.

That said, I do take normal care of them. I have a neatly organized shelf system and I never have CD's lying around. They are put back in their case when they're not playing. That's enough. If they deteriorate or become unplayable before my time on this planet is over, well then too bad. It's not the end of the world.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2008
    Agree with you Thor. I find some of it almost laughable which I'll comment on later.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Thanks for the tips! biggrin punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    When I say laughable I mean don't promote yourself as an archival product when you are far from it.
    Thomas smile