• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. No, I doubt that. It´s too short and too much embedded in the known Doctor´s Theme to be something else, I think, although the suite certainly has its Titanic moments with those beautiful female solos

I must say I love the new CD. Yeah, there are some themes we already knew, but they are not only done in theie most spectacular versions yet, but embedded into a lot of new stuff as well. The "Voyage" suite alone is such a great piece of work I find myself regularly replaing it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2010 edited
    Woah, huge thread to the past, but I recently started listening to the season 4 score, and what a beautiful song n°6 is: Songs of Captivity and Freedom. The first impression it gives is like it's from some opera or musical, but you wouldn't say it's from a Sci-Fi show.

Now my question is to you: what other scores (or music) can you advise to me that is very similar to this?

The first to come to mind is 'Vide Cor Meum' as featured in Hannibal, and I also vaguely remember some opera in The Fifth Element as well, but am I missing some important bits?
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
  2. I personally struggle with the way the revived show uses music. (Despite the fact that it sounds like the kind of music that would be good to listen away from the show.) Did the older Doctor Who border so closely on self-parody with its use of music?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2010
    franz_conrad wrote
    Did the older Doctor Who border so closely on self-parody with its use of music?

...what? confused Self-parody?
    How do you figure that one?
    Melodic, huge, some might even say bombastic at times...but self-parodying?
    I don't see it.

The old Doctor Whos employed rather unlistenable electronic ambience/noise, by the way.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Ah, never mind.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    What?
    Apprehensive at a little discussion?

cluck
    cluck
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. No, I sense the end road of the discussion is a point where we discover that it doesn't bother anyone else. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    angry I don't care about the greater good!
    I'm spoiling for a fight! crazy

Ahem.
    Yeah.
    OK.
    shame

Good point.
  5. Martijn wrote
    angry I don't care about the greater good!
    I'm spoiling for a fight! crazy

Bring it on.

I believe the music of DOCTOR WHO borders of self-parody. It fits well within the tradition of outlandish English pantomime that piles on camp emotion so you can take it all with a laugh. biggrin

I'll leave you guys to work up a barrage of humiliation for when I wake in the morning.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I agree Michael. So at least they'll have two targets now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    I agree Michael. So at least they'll have two targets now.

Make that three. I've always hoped it's intended to be parody music (otherwise it leaves questions which are better left unasked, let alone unanswered).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2010
    I'm trying to wrap my mind around this.
    Parody music...like what? Spike Jones?
    I don't even understand what you mean?
    Is it because Doctor Who is constantly so hilarious? Or as a parody of the series, although it actually is the series proper?

I'd love to build a proper argument, but currently I feel I'd be constructing it on particularly molecularly unstable, metaphorically unsound, categorically undefined, specifically liquid and/or gaseous (depending on your point of view of level of seriousness/sobriety) quicksand...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I love the OTT'ness of Doctor Who and that includes the music which is bold, loud and very thematic, TV music hasn't been so much fun since the days of Barry Gray.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    yeah
    Timmer, as always the voice of reason.
    Thank you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    I love the OTT'ness of Doctor Who and that includes the music which is bold, loud and very thematic, TV music hasn't been so much fun since the days of Barry Gray.

OTT'ness?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Over The Top
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    We will probably get a Series 5 CD release. I'm wondering if all the specials inbetween Series 4 and 5 will be included, or if they will be ignored? I haven't seen them yet, but I'm sure they had great music. Ideally they'd get their own release.
  6. I´m sure as hell already waiting for that "Music from the Specials" release, biting nails. There is so much mind-frakkingly great music in those specials, a perfect culmination of everything that Murray did before, I can´t imagine they won´t do it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2010
    I doubt it'll be on the same cd as for season 5, because that's supposed to be a new season one with a 'new sound' alongside. So here goes hoping for a separate release along with previously unreleased material. slant
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...