• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2008
    I spoke today with Bregt on messenger about starting a weekly column with a variety of different topics, some which will raise an eyebrow or two. As an example some of you know how I feel about this limited edition/low quantity alert bs. Bregt seems to be against this because he doesn't want to make any waves. I feel different and hope that my opinion over time could make a difference. I also have some pretty strong feelings about 12 tone, golden age music, and on and on. I would like to hear your opinion.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2008 edited
    I don't see why not Tom, this is one of the most civilised boards ( THE most? ) on the internet, on the majority of forums an Obama V McCain thread would have been locked down long ago.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. I agree, it could be really interesting.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. Not that I doubt the strength of your opinions Tom, but I'm curious what it is about the way 12 tone music is composed that you'll be able to influence with your column? wink (Just teasing, of course.)

I don't really object to the idea of the column, but I can see why Bregt would be reluctant to have maintitles.net seem to be an anti-Intrada hive. (Remind me - what changes by complaining about it? The business model will still be used as long as it works because outrage never translates into product embargoes.) Might it not be a better idea if you published the columns at Golden Scores and posted links to a thread here? smile
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    1...Let me make it perfectly clear that I'm not just talking about Intrada. FSM is just as guilty.
    2...You and I don't necessarily agree but if there was a fight we would be shoulder to shoulder defending what we believe in.
    3...Golden Scores is a website for older scores from now on. Any discussion would need to be related to older material only.
    4...One of the things that does make us stand tall in this industry is the fact that we don't get paid from anyone. Intrada, and FSM are hawking their product and CC, DG, JB, accept advertising. Money has a way of influencing your decision no matter what you say.
    5...A business model doesn't have to change and likely won't. Being a little dramatic McDonald's doesn't promote themselves as a healthy food store nor junk food when there is nothing else open. On the otherhand when a vitamin company promotes themselves as a healthy product and uses the worst plastic they can find to bottle their product that isn't right.
    6. Another example of something that I was thinking of doing was sort of a consumer testing program with the different companies.

Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Spread the looooveee, the only way that is; especially if it involves hot juicy ladies.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    well you made me smile mate biggrin
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Tom... why can't your weekly column live on your blog? At least there you have no one to answer to but yourself and you don't have to get Bregt involved.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The #'s that read. Nothing is going to happen to anyone. Remember that we do this whole thing for free. Others can't say that. There isn't communism in this country yet. Erik, Ford, RK, Thomas, and James all have a right to their opinion.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I don't think anyone is going to burn my apt. down, fly to San Diego and put a gun in my mouth, or sue me in court. By the way I applaud the fact that El-Cid/Tadlow is going to be available for people to listen to in my public library. What a nice way to introduce people to film music and great material, recording, everything.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2008 edited
    sdtom wrote
    I spoke today with Bregt on messenger about starting a weekly column with a variety of different topics, some which will raise an eyebrow or two. As an example some of you know how I feel about this limited edition/low quantity alert bs. Bregt seems to be against this because he doesn't want to make any waves. I feel different and hope that my opinion over time could make a difference. I also have some pretty strong feelings about 12 tone, golden age music, and on and on. I would like to hear your opinion.
    Thomas smile

Interesting idea, Tom! I look forward to seeing this develop in the (hopefully near) future! beer
  3. sdtom wrote
    I don't think anyone is going to burn my apt. down, fly to San Diego and put a gun in my mouth, or sue me in court.

You're being extreme for argument's sake, Tom. I don't think anyone was suggesting the Belgian soundtrack mafia was going to knock down Bregt's door.

But if Bregt is uncomfortable (interesting that he hasn't posted here), well, I can see why. And since you already have TWO other web publishing avenues at your disposal, it doesn't seem like you have to do it here to get the column working.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    The fact that people find it a good idea or are positive about it, makes me think I might be wrong? I'd have the most problem with (indeed like Michael said) that the people of these websites might think the wrong idea of this site a.k.a us. Also, I don't think maintitles is big enough to create much of an impact? But as I'm not the boss here, and I happily take opinions of the others here, we might give it a try...
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    I don't see why not Tom, this is one of the most civilised boards ( THE most? ) on the internet,

Who? Maintitles.net? Who? Everybody knows we are evil, tough and fearless!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    But if Bregt is uncomfortable (interesting that he hasn't posted here), well, I can see why. And since you already have TWO other web publishing avenues at your disposal, it doesn't seem like you have to do it here to get the column working.

Exactly!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm not going to use Golden Scores to talk about prompt delivery time from company xxx. I would use Golden Scores to talk about El Cid. My blog is buried in the bowels of wordpress and is really obscure. The problem that Bregt and I have finally worked out with Golden Scores is to keep it for those special old releases, biographies of golden age composers, etc. Nothing else. Don't you think that a column over time would attract people to the site? Or is my opinion about as valued as a lecture on the advantages of a wired rotary telephone (yes they still work)? If that is the case I won't say anything that might offend someone. I have nothing but praise for MSM and I know in my heart that this is the direction the market is going. Oh wait I shouldn't have said that Lukas might read it and think I'm telling him how to run his business. Or if Ford takes 4 weeks to mail a CD out to me I should say nothing? I think what I have to say is appropriate and I'm not afraid to say certain things.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Tom... if you took some time to promote your blog then you would see more and more people visiting. All it takes is for you to shamelessly whore yourself out to all the film music message boards and every time there is an update to your blog you post that update on all the film music message boards. Trust me... it works.

And again, why do you want to bring Bregt into this? It seems that you want to use Maintitles as your own personal soap box and I can see why Bregt is hesitant to let you air your dirty laundry on his site. Why? Because then it becomes HIS problem as well and maybe he doesn't want to deal with some thing like that.

Again, you have a place on the web where you can voice your opinions where YOU and only YOU have to answer for your actions. I suggest you beginn your rants on your BLOG, see what the reaction is like and then try to sell your idea to Bregt.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Hey hey, no need to get upset here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2008
    I think you made your point. I don't call it dirty laundry you do, Franz does and some others do and many others don't. I'll abide by your wishes. Goodbye
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The first column by the way is on the outstanding job Fitzpatrick did with the El-Cid release. I'll make sure Erik that part of the article states and I quote "that I begin my rants (praise in this case) on my blog" and that Erik Woods didn't think it a good idea to use Maintitles as a soapbox for my opinions. Do you have a problem with that or should I consult an attorney. I don't think I misquoted you.
    Thomas sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    I think you made your point. I don't call it dirty laundry you do, Franz does and some others do and many others don't. I'll abide by your wishes. Goodbye
    Thomas

Who says that my word is the law? I was merely making a point. Something for you to consider. It seems that you are getting all bend out of shape because Bregt feels uncomfortable about publishing your new column. I'm sure some of his reasons for not embracing this idea are some of the same reasons YOU don't want it on your Golden Scores site.

Look, your column might be an eye opener but I think you should let it blossom at your site or on your own blog before you start bringing it to other sites. Am I wrong in suggesting that?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2008 edited
    sdtom wrote
    The first column by the way is on the outstanding job Fitzpatrick did with the El-Cid release. I'll make sure Erik that part of the article states and I quote "that I begin my rants (praise in this case) on my blog" and that Erik Woods didn't think it a good idea to use Maintitles as a soapbox for my opinions. Do you have a problem with that or should I consult an attorney. I don't think I misquoted you.
    Thomas sad

Tom... seriously man... time to chill a bit. Deep breathes... relax.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Answer the question please. Did I misquote you?
    Thomas sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    Answer the question please. Did I misquote you?
    Thomas sad

What is your point? In your initial post you said the following...

sdtom wrote
    I would like to hear your opinion.

So, I wrote my opinions down. You didn't like what I wrote and now you are going bonkers and want, for some reason, to quote me it your first article? Why? How bizarre.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I fully accept your opinion and if the majority of the posters think it is a poor idea I am the last person to try and influence Bregt to start up a column. As I said the readership would be the best on this site thus MainTitles as a choice. I think it is a good thing for our hobby. You actually support me in the downloads as does Disney. The only argument is what choices with quality levels. Can a company like FSM offer both? I think it is time that we start discussing our future. Its going to happen whether we like it or not. I fail to see the big deal. To say that Intrada appeals to a collector market? Is that cursing? That now FSM is also leaning that way? That SAE is the place to go for your soundtrack needs?
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    You offended him.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I have a whole lot more good to say than bad.
    Thomas
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas sad

Tom... seriously man... time to chill a bit. Deep breathes... relax.

-Erik-

Agreed. Opinions were sought and offered. Had we been told you were going to get angry with us if we disagreed, we might have been less willing to say what we thought.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    So if I have an opinion about Ford Thaxton and the inferior Harkit recordings I shouldn't say anything on Maintitles as it could be considered offensive.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2008 edited
    sdtom wrote
    So if I have an opinion about Ford Thaxton and the inferior Harkit recordings I shouldn't say anything on Maintitles as it could be considered offensive.
    Thomas

You are more than welcome to post anything you like on any film music message board. But when it comes down to a column published by maintitles I think Bregt has every right to step back and evaluate how it will affect his web page both positively and negatively.

Again Tom, just a suggestion, why don't you start writing a few columns on YOUR blog or start a new one and see what kind of reaction you get. Then you will have some hard facts to give to Bregt which will help him make a better decision as to whether or not he wants to host your thoughts... which ultimately with also become the thoughts of maintitles.net... even if he puts up a disclaimer or not.

OR

You can just open up a thread here at this very message board and start writing. Update it as you please and you will also get some instant feedback from us and Bregt himself. Who knows, if it's good enough maybe some outside viewer might want the column as part of his or her web site instead.

Just a thought.

-Erik-