• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2008
    Fair enough
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
  1. I've had a read through all the posts and here's a few throughts that came to mind when reading them:

1 - The example of limited edition releases and how they are handled is something that affects recently composed scores as well as more Golden Age releases and so I think that it would be just as relevant to discuss this at Golden Scores. Tom, there are a couple of possible avenues you can take to air your views (Golden Scores and your blog). A bit of self-advertising would help get the opinions contained in any column-styled articles out to a wider audience.

2 - If Bregt has an initial gut feeling that he'd prefer to distance himself from a column that could be seen every now and then as being "inflammatory", then this should be kept in mind. It's fine for someone to open a topic on a messageboard but to have a "semi-official" column? That's something different.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    The fact that there's not really a consensus or generally positive feeling (which I mostly agree with), I will just delay and hope Tom tries his idea on his blog, or possibly, on our forum. I hope you understand Tom.

smile
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Two points:

(1)
    I'd LOVE an inflammatory column, and I think it's a brilliant idea.
    The more controversial the better!
    It's a fantastic style element to get attention and to get people talking, and I'm all for that.
    (But then I of course *like* discussions, even if they get a bit heated at times.)
    However, it should be made very clear that any such column is a personal note, and not some sort of consensus statement from anyone else on the board. What anyone writes down is his own responsibility.

(2)
    Bregt owns and runs this site.
    Whatever he says, goes. It really is as straightforward as that.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2008 edited
    What would you all think if we made golden scores a part of maintitles/column.
    Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    sdtom wrote
    I don't think anyone is going to burn my apt. down, fly to San Diego and put a gun in my mouth, or sue me in court. By the way I applaud the fact that El-Cid/Tadlow is going to be available for people to listen to in my public library. What a nice way to introduce people to film music and great material, recording, everything.
    Thomas smile

Are you donating it there? How else is it gonna get there. And why would a limited quantity have any factor on that?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Good question TJ. They are going to purchase it from Tadlow. Since any bureaucratic government moves a bit slowly getting up at 3 AM to make a single purchase of an item is out of the question. They are also going to purchase the Thomas Newman Silva release and the Vintage Cinema Telarc. Honestly why would the general public have any interest in Scorpio anyway? But the three I mentioned is a different story.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm for anything to promote the listening of film music.
    Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    I pretty much agree with what Erik's said throughout the thread. I don't know why you get so angry when these CDs get released in limited quantities, equating it to BSX's shoddy service or harkit's bootlegs doesn't seem fair. Chances are, if they weren't released in limited quantities, then the labels would lose money and then either start releasing far fewer items, or were, go bankrupt, and then we have no CDs.

I just don't understand the fight here, people (at least, most of them) are more than willing to provide their fellow fan's with CD-Rs of stuff that isn't available anymore. Its only the *collectors* who will shell out big bucks because they weren't around at the right time and want that shiny original--and I daresay they should have known better---place a pre-order with something that won't come out for another month, or ask a friend to purchase it for you, but clearly they have far less concerns about their money than their time or they wouldn't shell out the big bucks.

Do I like having to pay 20 bucks a CD and having to make that decision in short time? No, not really. Would I rather have all these relatively obscure titles like the Cannon catalogue sitting in MGM vaults never to be released? Absolutely not.

If FSM and Intrada are guilty of anything, it's providing fans with good-enough music at a business model to keep them afloat.

The problem I have with the soundtrack fandom re all these sellouts and such is the way people are so quick to judge and point when people download or cd-r or whatever...i mean, honestly....its not your job to police the world. Its like they want to feel special for owning the item or they don't want their CD to diminish in value. Meh. Its something that I find exclusive to soundtrack fandom--i never thought twice of a DL before, the change was more out of necessity/lack of availability than ethics.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    smile I was merely pointing out three different things ie harkit, bsx, and limited quantities.

1... These companies TJ have a right to sell their product however they want and do whatever is necessary to stay afloat. If people have fun with guessing games I'm all for it if it helps sell their product. I'm not angry at all just saddened that I see the market going the way of baseball cards which are no more archival than a CD. I've seen plastic pages ruin a collection or two of cards because there was way too much acid in the plastic. As you can tell I'm not a collector. And you're right about the collector mentality also. I have it and you don't and you can't listen to it so there. I'd guess a fair amount are still in the plastic wrap but I own it. Perhaps my view is slightly warped having spent 40 years in the camera business and having to deal with collectors the likes of which you've never experienced before. I liked to take pictures not stare at a camera in a humid controlled cabinet and then complain after 20 years that the camera didn't work. Well, cameras like to be exercised (used you know with film etc.). And then they want you to use special tools because if you don't you might see a slight mark on some of the screw heads indicating it has been touched which ruins the camera's value.

2...If at all possible I'm for what Mikael does. Offer it both ways. CD or high quality download. Then everyone is happy.
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    Good points, but you're forgetting the people who still just want to have the cd. Downloads are not the solution for them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Mikael offers both.

And in 20 years CD's will be like VHS is now. Somehow I don't think a copy of Wall-E is going to be on tape. Its DVD or download.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    Mikael offers both.

True that Mikael offers both but his CD run is even smaller than Intrada, Varese's and FSM's. What's the most he has pressed on one CD... 500 copies. So what happens to those people who weren't fast enough to by the CD but still want the CD and not a digital file?

I also think downloads are the way of the future as well but it's going to be some time before it's goes all download. For one not EVERY one is on the internet.

Secondly, not everyone wants to give out their credit card info over the internet.

Next, not everyone can afford the storage needed to house these files. Yes, hard drives are getting more and more cost effective but you have to buy at least two.

On top of that, there are many... and I mean many computer illiterate people out there who have no idea how to access the internet nevermind download files to their computer and listen to them through some tiny PC speakers or through their portable players... which is yet another expense and pain the royal ass for some.

So it's still going to be some time before everything goes download but I do realize that it is inevitable. I just hope that the labels and these digital music stores get it right and offer us some thing at least equal or if possible better than CD quality sound. I don't want any part of the downloading world where we don't get uncompressed DRM files with complete digital art work. Let's not work backwards and make 256k AAC or 320 MP3 the best we can get.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Quantities, schmantities...

I think I should be allowed a column here - one where I periodically lash out at C&C releases, speculation threads, the values of rerecordings over original recordings, people envelopped in nostalgia, people making pointless lists, people posting about postal delivery times or other weird fan habits etc.

Come ON! You know you want it!! tongue cheesy
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Yeah! punk

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Only if Steven can do an atheist column!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    All excellent points Erik!!!!

Saturday I asked a few people at our annual block party how did they get their music. Keep in mind that I'm the old timer of the group and most are in their 20's and 30's. All answered download and all said they were happy with the quality. The conversation came up because some of us were discussing the recyclable plastic materials. The CD jewel case doesn't decompose by the way and is the worst category of plastic.

Older people are afraid of technology. I've offered to library patrons many times to teach them to use the computer for free and their afraid. Most younger people aren't and relish the new. I try to accept and learn the new way. I'm just stubborn sometimes.

I have one friend who loves classical and subscribes to Naxos which doesn't have the high quality but you have access to nearly 4000 files for I think $50.00 a year.

Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    By the way all, speaking to Bregt just a little bit earlier the big stumbling block with him is how to do it (column) and the time involved. Remember he is working now hurrah!!!! For the present it will have to go through my blog. But eventually I think we can combine everything to this site.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Cool!
    And of course you could always link through through a separate MainTitles thread, Tom!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    sdtom wrote
    By the way all, speaking to Bregt just a little bit earlier the big stumbling block with him is how to do it (column) and the time involved. Remember he is working now hurrah!!!! For the present it will have to go through my blog. But eventually I think we can combine everything to this site.
    Thomas smile

I didn't say that, I said that the time workin on that is ANOTHER stumbling block. I still stay, although not as strong (if my voice was ever strong), with the fat that I think it's perhaps not the best idea. Though, looking at all the new positive reactions, it seems there's perhaps a need for?

But first, lets reorganize the review section! Coming to a browser on an unplanned date.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I can and will
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote

I think I should be allowed a column here - one where I periodically lash out at C&C releases, speculation threads, the values of rerecordings over original recordings, people envelopped in nostalgia, people making pointless lists, people posting about postal delivery times or other weird fan habits etc.

I Do!

Martijn wrote
    Only if Steven can do an atheist column!

You KNOW that the only column bound to have true success is my "Come and have fun with us and the deadly-hot Greek juicy ladies" column.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

Only if it also includes a post on the merits of Ladyhawke being a great film score long gone under-appreciated by film score fans!? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Thor wrote

Actually, we might want it, if we really thought about it. It could contain all these dispassioned rants of yours to one .html link. biggrin
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Demetris will have to help me
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    You KNOW that the only column bound to have true success is my "Come and have fun with us and the deadly-hot Greek juicy ladies" column.

That's HARDLY gonna be a CONTROVERSIAL column now, will it? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Depends; i have some naughty plans that include rich audio-visual spectacles
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Depends; i have some naughty plans that include rich audio-visual spectacles

You have my complete undivided attention......please continue lick biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    What are you going to do with El-Cid? God help me!
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2008
    sdtom wrote
    What would you all think if we made golden scores a part of maintitles/column.

Honestly... I think the two sites should stay separate. It's enough having the link at the bottom of the homepage, IMO.