• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I'm all for combining all Tom's writing into one website that would be this one.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2008
    Right now William nothing is going to happen. Bregt is far too busy to put up new reviews let alone any improvement or changes in MainTitles. The overall idea would be to make it easier for him.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2008 edited
    Thought I'd bring this up in this thread. Could THIS replace CD's? The biggest issue still is the fact that it's MP3 based and can only deliver up to 320k files.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Most people are truly happy with the quality Erik. If 999 people like the way Pepsi tastes and 1 person thinks its too sweet they won't change so 1 person is really happy and 999 people now think it taste like castor oil. Maybe it will evolve to yet another format.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Agreed.
    As long as you cater to the greatest common denominator, you can't go wrong, business-wise.

I think though this is NOT the way of the future, but it MAY serve as an extra incentive to develop a proper lossless format.

SD cards being relatively small in size will be popular for -indeed- the likes of cell phones, and easily swappable, but the market will soon cry out for more size and better quality (as it always have done before...how many people still accept 128 kbps quality? EVERYONE did in 1999!).

It's an interesting development.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I understand that, Tom. But what bothers me about the whole lossy revolution is that we are taking a step back instead of taking a step forward. We are going to get rid of something with superior sound quality (CD's) and replace them with some thing of lesser quality (MP3's) It's as if Blu-Ray delivered lesser quality than the DVD. It doesn't make any sense.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The camera/photo business has been hurt by the cameras in the cell phones. I hope my Klipsch speakers last until I die.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    But what bothers me about the whole lossy revolution is that we are taking a step back instead of taking a step forward.

Only when quality would be the only defining benchmark.
    And while I agree it should be, it isn't.
    Availability, ease and finance are just as important in general.

Currently the revolution is focusing on a balance between quality and availability, where quality is "dumbed down" to NOT the best, but the best that is still widely acceptable, to accomodate space requirements (which is the availability part).
    Calculate that this is also significantly cheaper than music on CDs and there's your business case!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    It doesn't make any sense.

But it makes cents.

And thats what they care about.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Erik:
    1...Blu-Ray is due in part to the 1080 quality TV coming into play. But the price better come down or?
    2...Most people are happy with nice FM quality, we're not.
    3...They'll be something available for us.
    4...We all know where the market is going. Just think about the vhs to dvd or lp to cd.

Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I still have a hard wired into the wall rotary telephone. It has much clearer sound than anything I've heard today. No longer viable because all you can do is sit on a stool by the phone and talk into it. We want to do dishes, run outside, or make love while we talk.

In my opinion I still believe someone should do what Chandos in England does. High lossless quality download or a CD. The CD is twice the price. All the artwork is available. The consumer chooses.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    I understand that, Tom. But what bothers me about the whole lossy revolution is that we are taking a step back instead of taking a step forward. We are going to get rid of something with superior sound quality (CD's) and replace them with some thing of lesser quality (MP3's) It's as if Blu-Ray delivered lesser quality than the DVD. It doesn't make any sense.

-Erik-

Nah; discs will always be the feature. The newly-born DVD-AUDIO is quickly developing in labs as it's the only medium that can carry a huge amount of crystal-clear channels of HD audio of much higher resolution than the CD's.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Any proof?
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2008 edited
    I work in such a lab, performing such tests. I read the industry's news in pro sound magazines (subscribed under the studio / lab i am currently in). Will also participate as conventioneer along with my teacher on the subject matter of advanced HD surround techniques (recording and playback / reproduction) in a European acoustics conference here in a week, covering such areas. (http://acoustics2008.arch.duth.gr/). My name is in the final programme for anyone who can read Greek.

As for the DVD audio, you can always google it and if you can't find any good info, i'll be most happy to share what i know about it, the basics.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Wow, Demetris, that sounds cool! Congrats with such interesting and wide spread project! Good luck with it next week then. cheesy
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    your the man!
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    My name is in the final programme for anyone who can read Greek.

And so it is! On the third day, 17.45 – 18.00! (Yeah, I like showing off biggrin )
    Nice one, D.!

That said, it's not an INDUSTRY convention, but rather a SCIENCE one.
    I'm NOT at ALL optimistic on the commercial chances of DVD-A, which, as you may recall, has been tried for a number of years, and hasn't caught on one bit yet. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Price
    Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2008
    DVDs aren't going away. Blue Ray ain't what DVD was to VHS, sorry.

DVD is satisfactory for most people..even moreso than MP3s.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Blue Ray will have to come down in price and be heavily marketed or just end up replacing DVD's.
    Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    I just don't see it. Not everyon's ready to invest in a Blu Ray player (or an HD TV)

Besides. no reason to put standard stuff on the Blu discs, you would jsut be able to store more data and use less discs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I agree with Tj. The shift from VHS to DVD was MASSIVE in quality. Not so much the same with a good dvd system / big screen tv / home cinema to a blu-ray system; yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    People don't want to change and they have to be coaxed into doing so.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Which is exactly what's happening: try and get a decent CRT TV screen...you can't (without considerable effort).
    All flatscreens are either HD-ready or HD-compatible, which of course goads the customer into getting a HD DVD player.

Already in my Video rental store Blue-Ray rentals are taking up several cabinets (way out of proportion to the amount of Blue-Ray owners).

It's quite inevitable.
    I don't mind though: as long as DVD players remain backwards compatibe with "normal" DVDs, why should I mind extra functionality? Prices are already coming down, and I'm sure in six-seven years time I'll own a Blue-Ray as well.

I'm much more annoyed about the sudden phase-out of CRT TV screens. angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    And CD Players although some DVD units you can play CD's
    Thomas smile