• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2008
    tjguitar wrote
    There's a difference between speculators and your assertion that the majority of people 'collect' rather than 'listen'.

Agreed! Tom there are "collectors" in every hobby. But I think when it coems down to film music there are a lot more listeners than "collectors."

sdtom wrote
    And this is especially for my friend Erik. It is being done already, the way you want
    http://www.chandos-records.com/default05.asp?refresh=0
    Thomas

Even though it's only one label at least it's a step in the right direction.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    chandos isn't a huge player in the film music world though, so it's not super relevant. They are predominantly Classical and even their iflm music is pretty much marketed as classical.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    tjguitar wrote
    chandos isn't a huge player in the film music world though, so it's not super relevant. They are predominantly Classical and even their iflm music is pretty much marketed as classical.

True! The majority of they're film music releases tend to concentrate on film composers who are well known in the concert hall such as Malcolm Arnold, Vaughan Williams, Shostakovith.

However they have also championed lesser recorded works by the likes of William Alwyn & Clifton Parker. Now if only they'd do one on BRIAN EASDALE.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    tjguitar wrote

True! But at least it's one label doing it right offering lossless files. We can only hope that if this world turns into a download only world that they follow, to a certain point, the Chandos way.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I know I used the wrong adjective TJ/Erik shame when I said majority. But there are certainly without question a larger number of speculators/collectors involved with the limited release market.

Chandos is a fine company which has survived from LP to CD to download very nicely. In fact for those who wish MP3 is possible also. And I also realize they don't have to deal with the union etc.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    I know I used the wrong adjective TJ/Erik shame when I said majority. But there are certainly without question a larger number of speculators/collectors involved with the limited release market.

The thing is... limited edition ANYTHING is aimed at the collector market. As much as I will NEVER part with any of my CD's I do know that I have a few high priced items that if I wanted to sell them I could make a pretty penny.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Agree. If you could come out with two versions a limited edition and a regular with the LE at a higher price it would be interesting to see how the sell through was.
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    There's not enough demand for something like that in film music. EL CID will be the first, and the only reason a 'regular' version is coming out because the deluxe edition did so well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I realize that TJ. It would be so interesting for me to see two choices with identical music but one has a limited edition hand number (44 of 500) for $24.95 and the other is $14.95. I wonder which one would sell out first.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    http://intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php … p;start=60

Read the thread all. Erik you can't tell me that suddenly there is this huge interest in film music especially a score like Boys From Brazil. 3000 gone already in one day. Speculating, collecting.
    Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    how do you know the intentions of those who purchased that score?

And i doubt someone would buy something just cause it was handnumbered....even if it had something like an autograph, it would need some significant difference to justify the $10+ higher price.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I just can't believe that in the last two months there has been this huge interest in film music. There would be some new members on the different boards. Do you see it? I don't. Do I think an extra copy or two is being bought for the phantom friend, yes. Do people get caught up in the buying frenzy, yes. Are people speculating, yes. Is this now a collectible, yes. Why hasn't Tribute done as well. Is it because its not an OST, no. Its readily available and not a limited edition that's why. I watched some of this with card collecting, Cabbage Patch Dolls, and other things. You and I wouldn't pay extra for anything but some people would, you'd be surprised my friend.

Who is talking about the actual music from Scorpio, Invader from Mars (noise IMHO except Young), Boy On A Dolphin, MGM Treasury Box. Very little talk other than I got my copy. Have you seen a lot of reviews, nope.

Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    With as much stuff getting released, I don't really blame people for not taking the time to write huge dissertations on the CDs they listen to.

But I don't for a minute think that the majority of people buy this stuff only to lock it away in a vault for investment purposes. What a sour outlook on our peers.

Its too expensive to not buy for the purpose of listening. And if people want to buy an extra copy or 2 to use as trade bait, more power to them. Phantom friends? Again, you're accusing people of being shady and I don't see why...it's very possible that people combine orders to save shipping costs or because one doesnt have a credit card, or wahtever the reason may be.

Regardless, the problem isn't people buying a spare copy or 2 as trade bait...it's almost necessary if they want any chance at getting a release that sells out for a reasonable price and they missed it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    TJ you have me all wrong. I'm saying what you just said "people want to buy an extra copy or 2 to use as trade bait" I'm not saying that once in awhile a couple of people don't combine. It is certainly not shady just tell the truth. I bought two extra copies to trade down the road or I want to sell one on e-bay and make extra cash a year from now.

And your wrong about these people being our peers. The point is there not. I'm your peer who sent you something a while back because I wanted to do it for you. You would do the same for me.
    Our peers can't wait to open it up and enjoy it. Our peers might have bought 1000 copies and the other 2000 copies I don't know.

As much as I love this hobby there just isn't that much interest.

Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    I just can't agree. If there wasn't interest, then the speculators wouldn't stock up on them, because nobody would buy the CDs from them and they wouldn't make any profits. and the CDs probably wouldn't sell out as fast if there wasn't interest. If the interest wasn't there, a lot this stuff probably wouldn't ever see a CD release.

1000 Ghost Warriors in 1 day? I don't know how you can chalk it up to people trying to price gauge. People keep saying theres about 3000 film score fans, and its not inconvievable that 1 out of 3 had in interest in this title or (probably evenmoreso) an interest in having a complete "Intrada Signature Edition" collection.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I was thinking more about the 3000 Boys From Brazil in one day. Everyone bought a copy? Very few on this board did. Maybe there are just a lot of new people who really think Boys From Brazil is the new Holy Grail in film scores.
    Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2008 edited
    I have no idea how BFB sold 3000 in 1 day.

I certainly didn't buy it.

Goldsmith seems to have a lot more fans than anybody else though.

I'm sure re-salers took quite a few, still I think plenty of people purchased it with the intentions of listening to it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2008
    I'll live with the LP I bought 25+ years ago. I could believe it if you said a 1000 listeners bought it.
    Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    You don't think more than 1000 people bought a Jerry Goldsmith 70s title thats been OP for many years?

Considering how fast Capricorn One, and Baby after it, went. It wouldn't surprise me if a good 2200 went to listeners.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Perhaps I'm underestimating.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I've not watched the film Boys From Brazil for a long time so I guess its time to get it out again. The interest in this score is truly amazing to me.
    Thomas cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2009
    sdtom wrote
    I guess its time to get it out again.

Oh Steven, how did you miss THIS opportunity?

Anyway, what a marvelous score this is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2009
    Good score, I agree