• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2008
    And I can't believe that Joep hasn't commented on M.

Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
  1. Oh I can read from time to time franz. dizzy It's just I wanted to repeat it and express my opinion on that piece because of how it affects me in the film.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Timmer wrote
    Hard to believe no one mentioned one of the most obvious uses, and brilliantly so, of Wagner's Ride of The Valkyries in Coppola's APOCALYPSE NOW.

Haha, Yeah!!!!

And don't forget the Die Hard Trilogy, I guess it isn't a trilogy anymore. Just ignore the latter of the films.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Tchaikovsky Swan Lake=Dracula (1931)
    Thomas smile
  2. Tom, you're right - I did leave out ELEPHANT MAN. But not M. That's music that emanates from the world of the story. Lorre whistles Grieg. wink

DreamTheater wrote
    Oh I can read from time to time franz. dizzy It's just I wanted to repeat it and express my opinion on that piece because of how it affects me in the film.

Lol. Sorry, didn't mean to sound aggressive. It's the best use of that track in a film that I can think of.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    sdtom wrote
    Spend a day only listening to Mozart and exploring the true genius of his ability. Then watch the slick film, designed to make money as it should, and then tell me that the music doesn't distract you from intelligent listening.
    thomas smile

It doesn't. The music was cut to the film and they had organized the music (not saying that they re-arranged Mozart's music) to help enhance the story, IMO, functioning at time as both source and score. You weren't suppose to just listen to music. I mean, look at the death bed scene with Mozart constructing the Requiem as Salieri is writing/interpreting it down on paper. THe filmmakers were very respectful of the source material and it made the movie even better.
  3. Somehow I don't think an adaptation of a Peter Schaeffer play is a cash cow waiting to happen. It just doesn't gel with me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    franz_conrad wrote
    Somehow I don't think an adaptation of a Peter Schaeffer play is a cash cow waiting to happen. It just doesn't gel with me.

spin
    is
    Milos Forman did a great job, IMO, and the movie, the production, the visual, is just timeless.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2008
    Here is a pretty reasonable Naxos CD of classical material used in newer films.
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2007/12/21/c … s-artists/

Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Hard to believe no one mentioned one of the most obvious uses, and brilliantly so, of Wagner's Ride of The Valkyries in Coppola's APOCALYPSE NOW.

See my opening post. If it's source music - that is, emanating from a source within the story of the film, that's not what this thread is about. APOCALYPSE NOW was given a nod from the start though.

Does noone read? dizzy

shame

Caught out by my own bug-bear slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. All is forgiven. I was cranky that day. shame
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    All is forgiven. I was cranky that day. shame

No need for forgiveness, I get pissy if people don't read threads properly so I don't begrudge a ticking off where appropriate.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2008 edited
    No mention of SOMEWHERE IN TIME ( scored by John Barry ), How is Rachmaninov's 'Rhapsody on A Theme by Paganini' used in the film, is it just source music? Both the liner notes from the original soundtrack and John Debney's re-recording say ziltch.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2008
    http://www.naxos.com/musicinmovies.asp?letter=A

that is the current list from Naxos.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    I tend to react somewhat coldly to classical music trying to pass itself as film score... I'm only truly on board when it's source music, and especially when the use of the piece bears direct impact on the plot, such as Tchaikovsky in V for Vendetta, as it's been pointed out already. I found that brilliant.

If anything, I greatly encourage the quoting of classical bits enmeshed or hidden directly into film scores (such as Rachmaninov in Aliens, Ives in Wolfen, Schubert in the anime Princess Nine, or even the famed disco remix of Beethoven in Saturday Night Fever), but not actual uses as stand-alone pieces. Like Holst in The Yards. Didn't like that at all. It felt forced, and totally at odds with Howard Shore's brilliant score.

Just, IMO, of course.
    J-F
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    To save a lot of money Woody Allen has been known to use only classical music. Watch Scoop.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    HeeroJF wrote
    If anything, I greatly encourage the quoting of classical bits enmeshed or hidden directly into film scores (such as Rachmaninov in Aliens,

Rachmaninov? You mean Khachtaturian, right?
    I am extremely serious.
  5. I think he does!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    I think I do, too! shame Please ignore my ignorance.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2010
    sdtom wroteAnd I can't believe that Joep hasn't commented on M.

Yes. Brilliant, brilliant... I think it's the smartest use of a classical piece ever. Since Peter Lorre couldn't whistle, it was Fitz Lang himself who did it for him. A great way too depict a villian. I think I'd have to go with Shostakovich for Battle Potemkin as second best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2010 edited
    The Danish comedy "Olsen Banden Ser Rødt" from 1976 also has a brilliant use of classical music. The music is from a danish ballet called "Elverhøj", composed by the german composer Friedrich Kuhlau in 1828. It was re-arranged by the film's composer Bent Fabricius Bjerre.

The clip has no subtitles, but basically our main characters have to break into the Royal Danish Theatre (without being heard) and steal two suitcases. Enjoy... smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2010 edited
    Artworks wrote
    The Danish comedy "Olsen Banden Ser Rødt" from 1976 also has a brilliant use of classical music. The music is from a danish ballet called "Elverhøj", composed by the german composer Friedrich Kuhlau in 1828. It was re-arranged by the film's composer Bent Fabricius Bjerre.

The clip has no subtitles, but basically our main characters have to break into the Royal Danish Theatre (without being heard) and steal two suitcases. Enjoy... smile

The Norwegian Olsenbanden has the exact same scene in their film OLSENBANDEN FOR FULL MUSIKK, although in our case they're breaking into the National Theatre:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSPDJEtGgUU

There was a lot of cross-stealing going on between the Danish, Norwegian and Swedish versions of the concept.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2010
    Yeah, I actually watched that clip earlier today. Weird concept really, to shoot the same movie in different languages... I wonder what the Mexican and Canadian Indiana Jones would have looked like? smile
  6. How about Beethoven's "Fur Elise" and "Moonlight Sonata" in Elephant, Debussy's "Clair de Lune" in Tokyo Sonata, Tchaikovsky's "Hamlet" and "Romeo and Juliet" in A Christmas Story, and Penderecki's "Symphony No. 3" in Shutter Island.
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2010
    Shutter Island had some great music in it, as I remember it. Maybe I should buy that soundtrack... Wasn't Clair De Lune used in Ocean's Eleven as well?
  7. I wouldn't know; I never saw the film.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2010
    Artworks wrote
    Shutter Island had some great music in it, as I remember it. Maybe I should buy that soundtrack... Wasn't Clair De Lune used in Ocean's Eleven as well?

It was used extensively in the Pacino film Frankie and Johnny.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2010
    There is a book written about the use of classical music in films but I don't remember the name of it
  8. After seeing Black Swan, I'll have to add that film to the list, for its extensive use of Tchaikovsky's "Swan Lake".
  9. I love the way they used Beethoven's 9th Symphony in Knowing.