• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Should I just carry my love and obsession with TV scores all the way and simply create a site devoted to such?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2008
    If it's LOST-centered, why not? wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    No. Liquidate your assets, buy a donkey and head for the hills.
    There's a storm coming...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote

Because I'm already running one. tongue wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Of course. But justin's page could also feature all the other tv-music with a central theme and statement that "it's hugely inferior to Lost anyway so...;yeah." biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Of course. But justin's page could also feature all the other tv-music with a central theme and statement that "it's hugely inferior to Lost anyway so...;yeah." biggrin

Pah!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2008
    Check out wordpress
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
  2. No, nothing flashy or showy, as a matter of fact, the design for the site will be very simple and straight forward -- if I do it.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2008
    The first request from me is I'm on the prowl for some watching material. I want to see the shortlived tv series called Asphalt Jungle with music by Johnny Mandel.
    Thomas smile
  3. Well, with help of various online sources and fellow music lovers, I have compiled all the composers for both seasons of "The Colbys", a lot of "Dynasty", "Dallas", and "Falcon Crest".

I also have half of the 1985 Twlight Zone series.
  4. justin boggan wrote
    Should I just carry my love and obsession with TV scores all the way and simply create a site devoted to such?

For what it's worth, yes, I think that if it's something that you want to do then go ahead. There's certainly room for a resource devoted specifically to TV scores.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. Still givign it thought. If anyone wants to contribute, here is the criteria:

1. Must be a TV series (decade is irrelevant)

2. Must have three or more composers credited for the entire run of the series.

3. Must have two or more seasons, unless it has one season with three or more composers.

Feel free to make a review or some words about any specific score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2008
    Like Golden Scores you'd have something quite unique and you certainly have a lot of material to work from.
    Thomas smile
  6. How would you all list the composers? For each page it would start with a list of the compsores and a ntoe of how many episodes they scored, before listing all the episodes and composers. Would you list them by how many scored? Alphabetically? By first time composing?

Take this for example:

How many scored:

Mike Post (1)
    David Bell (7)
    William Olvis (the rest)

Alphabetically:

David Bell (7)
    William Olvis (the rest)
    Mike Post (1)

First time:

Mike Post (1)
    William Olvis (the rest)
    David Bell (7)
  7. If we got with how many scored, I would *start* with the most often scored.

I think the timing is the most important, at least with the first composer, who often is responsible for the series' theme.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2008
    Do you have the availability of the name of each episode?
    Thomas
  8. Yes, via IMDB. The example I provided above was from "Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman", which has pure orchestra scoring in hte style of John Barry, and the TV series "Firefly".

I am actually constructing the site now. Very simple, very basic. Nothing showy or too fancy. My original idea was just plain black and white, but I scrapped that.

Want at least five votes on the ordering before I take a stance.
  9. NEW LINK: Here is an example page:

http://www.tvscoring.150m.com/Colbys.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2008
    a brief synopsis of each show?

I think there is merit to what your doing

Thomas
  10. justin boggan wrote
    Here is an example page:

http://www.tvscores.150m.com/Colbys.html

I like what you're doing, Justin. It could turn out to be a valuable one-stop-shot resource.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  11. Any suggestions for features?

Thanks for the compliments.
  12. What would be of interest, would be some comments on how differently the composers attacked their projects. Do they just produce generic, samey scores or are their "signature sounds" obviously present?

Looking at The Colbys entry from above, I have no idea of what the music is like and so just a list of composers and episode titles is just that - a list. Adding something like I mention above would make it more interesting to people who may not know the TV shows.
  13. Unfortunately for half my compilations so far, there are no videos to watch -- I am getting help from other people. And for the differance on the scores, I woul have to ask for user help since it's just far, far, far too many hours of TV to watch.
  14. justin boggan wrote
    Unfortunately for half my compilations so far, there are no videos to watch -- I am getting help from other people. And for the differance on the scores, I woul have to ask for user help since it's just far, far, far too many hours of TV to watch.

So is the site seen more as a central database?
  15. Well, I am open to people reviews of what the scores are like or reviews of individual scores. I'm still working on the site and I don't know how far I intend to go with it.

I am open to suggestions.
  16. I'm writing a few short reviews; one for each compser's first time on a series (maybe one for a popular episode score by them too) and picking some pieces of music out from each one for a suite.

Starting with "Dynasty". Will be a while. Don't know when the site will be premiered.
  17. It took help from fans, but the "Dynasty" credits are now complete. And only six credits to solve and "Gunsmoke" will be complete. "Gunsmoke" has been a holy grail of titles I wanted completed. 40 credits composers from season 5 to the final season. The show's composer list read as a Who's Who is the world of TV scoring and film scoring. Surprise composers popped up including Paul Dunlap, William Lava, and even another Franz Waxman episode (bringing him to three scores total). I don't imagine many of you will care though (well, maybe Jon Burlington would).

But I think some of you will with "Starsky and Hutch" -- which is also completed. And to boot I have lengthy samples from two of the three episodes Alan Silvestri scored.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2009
    justin boggan wrote
    It took help from fans, but the "Dynasty" credits are now complete. And only six credits to solve and "Gunsmoke" will be complete. "Gunsmoke" has been a holy grail of titles I wanted completed. 40 credits composers from season 5 to the final season. The show's composer list read as a Who's Who is the world of TV scoring and film scoring. Surprise composers popped up including Paul Dunlap, William Lava, and even another Franz Waxman episode (bringing him to three scores total). I don't imagine many of you will care though (well, maybe Jon Burlington would).

Is that Jon Burlingame's evil brother?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2009
    When did you both start speaking in tongues? spin
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn