• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2008
    The Bernstein Box wasn't compilation just reconstructed material.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2008
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Gentlemen, I think it does matter who does the releasing. I don't care either but in my opinion if this had been released by Intrada a certain number of posters would consider it holy grail influencing others to buy buy buy, attracting the e-bay people to invest.
    Thomas smile

Well those people are strange and very nerdy.

You tell em geek boy! punk wink

A geek I am.
    A nerd I am not.

The difference is important!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Gentlemen, I think it does matter who does the releasing. I don't care either but in my opinion if this had been released by Intrada a certain number of posters would consider it holy grail influencing others to buy buy buy, attracting the e-bay people to invest.
    Thomas smile

A geek I am.
    A nerd I am not.

I figured you knew that anyway!? A compliment it was!

Me proud geek biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Why the Yoda-speech all the sudden?
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas smile

A geek I am.
    A nerd I am not.

Indeed, the difference IS important; about a couple sizes smaller the geek's glasses and braces are than the nerd's biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Proud geek I am too! punk

I'm not worrying about this release. Not one of his best in my opinion.
    Now if it was an expanded release of Explorers or Innerspace or The Trouble With Angels
    that would be a different story!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote

Indeed, the difference IS important; about a couple sizes smaller the geek's glasses and braces are than the nerd's biggrin

Geeks can be cool and relativity normal people who happen to have a lot of knowledge about a specific subject which is not usually considered cool (although a general music geek is an exception among others since music IS cool).

A nerd is someone who is socially awkward and usually adheres to a stereotypical image.

Out of those two, I'd like to think I'm am the former!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Atham wrote
    Proud geek I am too! punk

I'm not worrying about this release. Not one of his best in my opinion.
    Now if it was an expanded release of Explorers or Innerspace or The Trouble With Angels
    that would be a different story!

Yes! I would love a proper release of Explorers. cheesy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    HeeroJF wrote

Because geeks know stuff about Star Wars cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote
    HeeroJF wrote

Because geeks know stuff about Star Wars cool

That, we do... that, we do.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Geeks can be cool and relativity normal people who happen to have a lot of knowledge about a specific subject which is not usually considered cool (although a general music geek is an exception among others since music IS cool).

A nerd is someone who is socially awkward and usually adheres to a stereotypical image.

Out of those two, I'd like to think I'm am the former!

Curiously, in Norway it's the other way around!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2008
    sdtom wrote

Agreed! To call the Bernstein set a compilation is a bit of an insult.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2008
    Some will do whatever is necessary to make a point.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2008 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    sdtom wrote

-Erik-

No offense intended, really... but, I saw the track listing... Wasn't it basically as set of some of the best track from selected scores? Essentially incomplete presentations of famous scores? If the scores were incomplete, in my book that kinda sounds like a compilation... Maybe I didn't get the right gist of this release? Again, sorry for unintentionally offending you.
    J-F
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2008
    HeeroJF wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    sdtom wrote

-Erik-

No offense intended, really... but, I saw the track listing... Wasn't it basically as set of some of the best track from selected scores? Essentially incomplete presentations of famous scores? If the scores were incomplete, in my book that kinda sounds like a compilation... Maybe I didn't get the right gist of this release? Again, sorry for unintentionally offending you.
    J-F

You didn't offend me but I think there should be a little more respect for what Bernstein did with his re-recordings and how FSM saved these wonderful albums and made them available for a whole new generation of fans. Like Charles Gerhardt, Bernstien's film music collection played a significent role in exposing film music to the masses in the 1970's Some of the scores Bernstien recorded were the first time they had been made available to the public. And these albums weren't just short suites, they were carefully produced albums that could only play as long as an LP... about 45 minutes. While that's not close to a complete presentation for SOME of the scores in the series SOME of the scores recorded were complete presentations... To Kill A Mockingbird being one of them. Bernstein stated in the liner notes, "I think the primary value in what we intend to do is to produce completely faithful reproductions of entire scores. It is not our intention to reproduce every note for archival purposes, but rather to present all the pieces of a particular score which represent it well and which can stand alone." It's funny but Bernstein actually DISAPPROVED with Gerhardt's approach by recording only short suites rarely exceeding 10 minutes in length for one film.

So, I would never call these albums compilations. Compilations contain tracks from numerous scores comprising of cues most of the time no longer than 5-6 minutes. These compilations give quick highlights of a particular score and then move on. The stuff Kunzel does for Telarc can be called compilations. Same with Silva's re-recordings.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Well explained Erik! And you didn't offend me either cheesy

Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    There must have been a grave oversight in my understanding of the release. Bernstein re-recorded all this material?? Wow, I thought that these were just his favourite pieces as hand-picked from their respective original recordings. I didn't realize the extent of the labour that went into this production!

Of course it doesn't change the fact that this box set isn't the thing for me. These presentations are indeed almost always partial, and most of these scores have been released since then in complete form, and those that haven't hopefully will one day soon. What Bernstein accomplished is a monster work of film music preservation and exposition, to be sure, it just happens that the maestro and I disagree on what a score presentation should be. But heh, he's the professional! I'm just the customer. The copy I'm not buying can instead be claimed by someone else who can appreciate it better.

Thanks for explaining it Erik!
    J-F
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    HeeroJF wrote
    The copy I'm not buying can instead be claimed by someone else who can appreciate it better.

I like that last line.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2008 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    HeeroJF wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    sdtom wrote

-Erik-

J-F

You didn't offend me but I think there should be a little more respect for what Bernstein did with his re-recordings and how FSM saved these wonderful albums and made them available for a whole new generation of fans. Like Charles Gerhardt, Bernstien's film music collection played a significent role in exposing film music to the masses in the 1970's Some of the scores Bernstien recorded were the first time they had been made available to the public. And these albums weren't just short suites, they were carefully produced albums that could only play as long as an LP... about 45 minutes. While that's not close to a complete presentation for SOME of the scores in the series SOME of the scores recorded were complete presentations... To Kill A Mockingbird being one of them. Bernstein stated in the liner notes, "I think the primary value in what we intend to do is to produce completely faithful reproductions of entire scores. It is not our intention to reproduce every note for archival purposes, but rather to present all the pieces of a particular score which represent it well and which can stand alone." It's funny but Bernstein actually DISAPPROVED with Gerhardt's approach by recording only short suites rarely exceeding 10 minutes in length for one film.

Bernstein is my kinda guy! smile

I would have picked up this FSM box if I could have afforded it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The box was one of my select purchases and I'm happy that I did. Quite unique and special IMO
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Hey, maybe he didn't know it? As it apparently is so? No need to jump down one's throat 'cause he didn't know something, i wasn't aware of the true nature of the release either but that's not the end of the world, is it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    Hey, maybe he didn't know it? As it apparently is so? No need to jump down one's throat 'cause he didn't know something, i wasn't aware of the true nature of the release either but that's not the end of the world, is it?

Not jumping down anyone's throat. Things were eventually clearly explained and the matter is now over.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

If you'd read this thread you wouldn't have posted this D. spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Everything's cool. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2008 edited
    [meh;edit]
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Is the world as we know it ending again?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

I miss religious nuts with billboards....*sigh* wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Steven wrote

If the world is ending, does this means we have to suffer a Harald Kloser score as it does?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2008
    HeeroJF wrote
    Steven wrote

If the world is ending, does this means we have to suffer a Harald Kloser score as it does?

Heh smile I actually enjoyed THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW's lifts from the thin red line and all; doesn't anyone else enjoy this, the slightest at least?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    HeeroJF wrote
    Steven wrote

Heh smile I actually enjoyed THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW's lifts from the thin red line and all; doesn't anyone else enjoy this, the slightest at least?

Nope! Same goes for 10,000 BC. UGH!

-Erik-