• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthordjdave
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2008 edited
    plindboe wrote
    Hehe, you missed some big news then! biggrin

Morricone got 13 minutes of the Oscar show, which is pretty nice compared to poor Alex North's couple of minutes. You can see it all here:

Peter smile

Molto grazie, as Morricone would say wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2008
    ENNIO MORRICONE - Magnificat

Listen to this! http://sae.rciwebhosting.net/media/8332-4989.mp3 shocked

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=8332
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Yep, that "Cantico del Giubileo" is a real goody, I have it on "The sacred & profane" CD, which also includes a video clip of the event. I'm not a big fan of tenors, but the rest is just a breathtakingly brilliant piece, especially for anyone who likes "The mission". The last half is the best with ethnic drums and catchy chanting, equalling his famous "Earth as it is in Heaven" in power (I'm serious!).

It's a shame he never performs this piece at his concerts, I think he only performed it that once when he was commissioned to do it at the Vatican during the 2000 new year celebration. Perhaps it's because of the troubles getting a tenor to participate in only a single piece, that he never does it.

I found the clip on utube, where you see and hear this extraordinary climax, though the clip is not in a terribly good quality, and interrupted by an interview with the man himself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSWmo1d8ZEk

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2008 edited
    plindboe wrote

I'm not a big fan of tenors,

But you have no problems with soprano, alto or bass/barytone voices?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Well, not a fan of baritones either. I do like many sopranos for some reason, and I'm a sucker for choirs.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    plindboe wrote
    Yep, that "Cantico del Giubileo" is a real goody, I have it on "The sacred & profane" CD, which also includes a video clip of the event.
    Peter punk

That's cool! I didn't know it was present outside of the Magnificat cd (which used to sell for a few cents a year back). I love that piece. It's very much like Mission! There are other good tracks in Magnificat too... featuring a recent fave composer of mine wink

plindboe wrote
    Well, not a fan of baritones either. I do like many sopranos for some reason, and I'm a sucker for choirs.

Hah! I'm amused that I find more and more things in common with Peter with each passing day. wink

Thanks for the link to the video!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    plindboe wrote
    Yep, that "Cantico del Giubileo" is a real goody, I have it on "The sacred & profane" CD, which also includes a video clip of the event. I'm not a big fan of tenors, but the rest is just a breathtakingly brilliant piece, especially for anyone who likes "The mission". The last half is the best with ethnic drums and catchy chanting, equalling his famous "Earth as it is in Heaven" in power (I'm serious!).

Yes, I love the piece. I put it on all my self-made Morricone compilations for both myself and others. I was beginning to think I was the only person who actually had even heard it though - I've never read comments from elsewhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    It is indeed amazing that a piece so divine can be so obscure. Perhaps Morricone himself is to blame as he don't perform it regularly, as it deserves. It's the ultimate piece to perform live, so it's such a shame it only happened on that single occasion.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    So what else is on those compilations James? Let me guess, "On Earth as it is in Heaven", "Where?", "The legend of the pianist on the ocean", "The silver of the mine", "The ecstacy of gold", "Dammi la mano".

Peter punk
    • CommentAuthordjdave
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2008 edited
    Best Morricone cue (of the ones I've heard)? Has to be The Ecstasy of Gold from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

I know it's a cliche, 'cos he's done tons of other good stuff, but it was one of the first two soundtracks I bought (the other being Francis Monkman's The Long Good Friday) and I LOVE IT!!!!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2008
    plindboe wrote
    So what else is on those compilations James? Let me guess, "On Earth as it is in Heaven", "Where?", "The legend of the pianist on the ocean", "The silver of the mine", "The ecstacy of gold", "Dammi la mano".

Yes! Always some room for all the Leone scores too, of course.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2008
    I once made my own Morricone compilations divided by genre. I was extremely discriminate and only chose my absolute favorite tracks. Somehow I still ended up with 25 CDs. biggrin

It would probably amount to 35 CDs if I made such compilations today.

Peter smile
  1. Ok, this clip might not seem like much, but wait for the second vocal version of A GUN FOR RINGO:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S9pIYfQ5FQ
    NEVER heard those lyrics before!? I like them better than the lyrics of the version we know actually.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2008
    plindboe wrote
    I once made my own Morricone compilations divided by genre. I was extremely discriminate and only chose my absolute favorite tracks. Somehow I still ended up with 25 CDs. biggrin

It would probably amount to 35 CDs if I made such compilations today.

Peter smile

shocked

There are some film composers who DON'T have 35 film scores to they're name let alone have a 35 CD best of compilation. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Indeed, Timmer. It's amazing how prolific the guy has been. In the late 60s and early 70s for example he composed 20-30 scores per year, which is about 2 weeks to do each score. During his entire career he have also had so many obscure collaborations with other artists, conducting or arranging for them, or composing songs or score for various obscure projects. I love being a fan of a composer who have done so much, and still works with immense energy, because no matter how much music I find, there are still plenty of undiscovered gems for me out there to look forward to.

franz, great link! I love that song, even though the singer overdoes it, almost to a humorous degree. Funny to hear the alternate lyrics.

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    plindboe wroteIt's amazing how prolific the guy has been. In the late 60s and early 70s for example he composed 20-30 scores per year, which is about 2 weeks to do each score.

Agreed! But but that was also his giallo period... something I'm not quite fond of. I can't understand how there are so many fans of his giallos that every month there's yet another expanded release on BEAT or DigitMovies.
    But it's frustrating to find that there are some fine gems in these too (if you ignore the giallo, you ignore the gems too) sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Indeed, I can't stand the underscore of the giallos either. But there's always 1 or 2 stunning gems in his giallo scores, so one ends up missing some amazing music if one decides not to get them. That's what compilations are for I guess. wink

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Giallos?
    What's that?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Bregt, it's a genre of italian thriller/horror/slasher movies, mostly from the 70s.

Look here-> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giallo#Film

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    "Giallo" films are characterized by extended murder sequences featuring excessive bloodletting, stylish camerawork and unusual musical arrangements.

biggrin

Seems like the music is the element for which the movies are still most known then.
    Never heard any of these scores i think.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Indeed, the music is famous, especially Goblin's music, if you've ever heard of those. The genre has a surprising amount of fans. I've never actually seen a giallo though, so don't count me as an expert.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2008
    Ahh... just ordered the complete Marco Polo score... I only know the theme... (from that Yo-Yo Ma cd) Based on this is purchased the whole score... it seems to be good, any thoughts?
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2008
    "Marco Polo" is a real gem! The main theme is great, but the score is crammed with other great melodies. It's a unique score for Morricone, practically all the tracks are highly listenable. I find the themes to be kinda minimalistic in a way, in that they are slightly repetitive and hypnotic, but they are absolutely gorgeous as well. You're in for a treat.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    Good, I look forward hearing it!
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    "Marco Polo" is a real gem! The main theme is great, but the score is crammed with other great melodies. It's a unique score for Morricone, practically all the tracks are highly listenable. I find the themes to be kinda minimalistic in a way, in that they are slightly repetitive and hypnotic, but they are absolutely gorgeous as well. You're in for a treat.

Peter smile

My girl Mel's favourite Morricone score, she loves it! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    plindboe wrote

Peter smile

Couldn't agree more mate!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. I really like 'Corri, uomi, corri' from one of his old spaghetti western scores. Martijn sent me a copy of this a while ago. I think the score is called THE BIG GUNDOWN. Fantastic song!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2008
    I've always felt that singer overdid it, just a tad. wink I much prefer the rest of the score, the instrumental versions of that main theme are incredibly butt-kicking.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2008
    Hey Ralph, are you going to dare everyone a top 3 in this thread? dizzy