• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2008
    Bregt wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Sailed to Bilbao on the 'Pride of Bilbao', a huge ferry that sails from Portsmouth to Spain over the notorious Bay of Biscay, during the 35 hour journey we hit a force 10 storm, in the morning the whole ship stank of puke.

That was great fun! punk cool

biggrin

I'm lucky, I don't suffer sea sickness cool

It was awesome going out on deck ( and holding the handrail tightly ) and seeing huge waves.....makes you feel very mortal.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I get sick on a swing... slant

Boats are NOT for me.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    I get sick on a swing... slant

Boats are NOT for me.

I doubt you are alone.

Anyone been on a Hovercraft?

I did it once, from France to England in one of those big one's that carry loads of cars, very fast and very "bumpy", very uncomfortable. They even call it a "flight".
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote

Anyone been on a Hovercraft?

I did it once, from France to England in one of those big one's that carry loads of cars, very fast and very "bumpy", very uncomfortable. They even call it a "flight".

Exactly the same experience.
    I was absolutely riveted and glued to the porthole to watch it "glide", but of course when it hit the water all you could see was the foam and drops splashing onto the glass. slant
    If was fast, but bumpy, and not particularly exciting.
    It was way cooler watching that huge Thunderbirds-like contraption from land.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. I once went from Portsmouth to Le Havre on a cross-Channel ferry on a school trip to Paris in a force 8 gale. The end result was very similar to Timmer's story about the ship smelling of puke... except that some of the puke was mine, and I had unfortunately (but completely accidentally) managed to... um... coat the back of some unsuspecting passenger's legs with it. He was wearing pants with turn-ups, and it was all pooling in them... ewww.

I'm trying to think if Southall and I had any bad travel experiences on our legendary Tour Round California in 2001. The only thing I remember is being stuck on the Bill Bixby Memorial Bridge up the coast between Los Angeles and Monterey. Oh, and being forced to drive into an 18-lane toll plaza on the Oakland Bay Bridge! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Jon Broxton wrote
    Oh, and being forced to drive into an 18-lane toll plaza on the Oakland Bay Bridge! shocked

...while cutting it dangerously fine to catch the plane I remember!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    My worst travel experience was just this summer when I arrived in Japan. After getting off the plane, I had to go through immigration. When I got my card to fill out, and filled out everything except the address I would be staying at. Since my brother lives in Japan and was going to pick me up at the airport I didn't really have a reason to know his address, so I just left that area blank.

When I got up to the immigration counter (after waiting in line 30min or so), the immigration officer told me the address section had to be filled out and said I should speak to the information officer. The information officer then directed me to a pay phone. Luckily I had some Yen with me that I got in the States, and I decided to call my brother's cellphone. The pay phone was rather confusing with several different buttons and directions, all in Japanese of course. I finally started to dial and got an error message I didn't understand (I later found out I was dialing the Japanese country code plus my brother's cell number since that's the number that was programmed in my cell for calling when I'm home in the States).

It took me some time to explain to the information officer my problem with the phone because of the language barrier, but he eventually understood and took my immigration card and asked me wait. I watched him walk across the room and go into a little windowed office where he conversed with 5-6 other officers for around 5 minutes. I was just a tiny bit panicky at this point wondering how in the hell I was going to get into the country, not to mention I was exhausted from an 18 hour flight since I can't sleep on planes.

He finally came back with my card. In the address portion, he had put in the name of a local hotel. He told me no need to go to the hotel, but it'll get me past the immigration officer! He took me all the way up to the front of the immigration line, smiled and told me to have a nice stay! To which I smiled as well, bowed, and gave a very grateful arigato gozaimasu.

The rest of my stay in Japan was amazing and is a country I would recommend everyone visit!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2008 edited
    Southall wrote
    Jon Broxton wrote
    Oh, and being forced to drive into an 18-lane toll plaza on the Oakland Bay Bridge! shocked

...while cutting it dangerously fine to catch the plane I remember!

You never did tell us part 2 of your story from the ScoreReviews board!?

And Jon B, How did the 'puke dressed' person react?? wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2008
    David,

When it comes to the bit where it says 'Adress' do what I do....

LIE!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2008 edited
    Well I had the exact same problem coming into Australia last week. I just left the area blank and, when questioned about it by the immigration officer, mentioned that I was staying with my aunt. So he took a pen and wrote in the space: "Aunt's address".
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    Well I had the exact same problem coming into Australia last week. I just left the area blank and, when questioned about it by the immigration officer, mentioned that I was staying with my aunt. So he took a pen and wrote in the space: "Aunt's address".

Sounds like Mr. Customs used common sense smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Not sure if this really counts because it wasn't a "bad" travel experience.

Took a cable car ride up to the summit of the 10,000 ft ( 3000+ meters ) Schiltzhorn in Switzerland, now, I'm not scared of heights but I am immensely respectful of them and being dangled in a metal box on a wire thousands of feet above a valley floor is not quite my idea of fun.

Anyone else been in a cablecar?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote

Took a cable car ride up to the summit of the 10,000 ft ( 3000+ meters ) Schiltzhorn in Switzerland, now, I'm not scared of heights but I am immensely respectful of them and being dangled in a metal box on a wire thousands of feet above a valley floor is not quite my idea of fun.

Yes but not since I was about 10! I wasn't afraid of heights at the time so loved it but am afraid of them now.

I'm still hoping to go on an Alpine driving holiday (was meant to go this year but that didn't work out, and next year hopefully I'll be getting married and honeymooning in sunny climes) and recreating the same cable car trips I did as a boy - I remember going up Titlis in Switzerland and various mountains around Chamonix in France. Stunning.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    Timmer wrote
    David,

When it comes to the bit where it says 'Adress' do what I do....

LIE!

Duly noted!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2008
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

Yes but not since I was about 10! I wasn't afraid of heights at the time so loved it but am afraid of them now.

I'm still hoping to go on an Alpine driving holiday (was meant to go this year but that didn't work out, and next year hopefully I'll be getting married and honeymooning in sunny climes) and recreating the same cable car trips I did as a boy - I remember going up Titlis in Switzerland and various mountains around Chamonix in France. Stunning.

Oh, and James, it was Blofeld's hideaway from On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

Quite possibly the best views you'll get anywhere in the alps ( depending on weather or not being a peak climbing mountaineer ), the 360% views of the Eiger and so many more huge peaks is stunning, a MUST IMO but be careful on the seriously overinflated beer prices in the restaurant. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2009 edited
    Hiya D wave

You back in Greece now?

EDIT:-

I didn't mean to put this in 'Worst Travel Experiences' shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2009
    I am back in Cyprus my friend, thank you! Indeed the travel experience was the exact opposite to "worst", more to come soon! I'll be in Greece next Monday, i had a great time in Italy, which btw must be one of the most interesting countries i've ever visited. wave
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2009 edited
    Off to bed now. I look forward to hearing your tales......and seeing pics cool

In the appropriate thread wink
  2. Timmer wrote

Yes! But not on the scale that you'll be used to. I've been in a 2-man box when I was in Davos, Switzerland and took a trip to the top of a nearby hill. And then again from Weggis (again Switzerland) up the Rigi.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2009
    Really Alan?

I don't know the names you mention there but the two biggest cable car rides I've had were in Switzerland and France.
  3. Timmer wrote
    Really Alan?

I don't know the names you mention there but the two biggest cable car rides I've had were in Switzerland and France.

Neither of the rides I mention are big in the sense that you've experienced. I'm really just trying to get involved in a conversation and recounting my only experiences in cable cars. The Davos cable car was really just a short hop to the top of the mountain that defined the valley. The fact that it was just a 2-man cable car was the worrying thing.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Do you have pictures of your trip Alan?
    Kazoo
  4. Bregt wrote
    Do you have pictures of your trip Alan?

Which one? Switzerland or Skye 2009?

I've been on so many!! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    tongue
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I've never been in a cable car in my life! We don't really have them here in Norway, despite all the mountains.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I've been on loads. Tenerife, France, Switzerland, New Zealand, Australia and Nepal.

Least scary : Tenerife, going up to Mount Teidy, it pretty much hugs the hillside. ( the same can be said for the one in Nepal )

Scariest : Going up to the Shiltzhorn in Switzerland ( where OHMSS was filmed ) where at points you are suspended thousands of feet above the valley floor.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    I went to the Schilthorn as well, when I was little. At a certain point the train car was broken and all passengers had to walk back down - rather steep walk if I can trust my blurry memories - back to the village. Blofeld had nothing to do with it though!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    You sure!? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote

Yes, but not for many years. It would have been in the Alps (French and Swiss) on my trips as a child. Really hoping to go there next year.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2009
    Ah yes, I remember you mentioned it before. Make sure you go up to Blofeld's hideaway wink