• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2008
    Sexiest Bond girl : Madeline Smith in Live And Let Die...hubbabubba shocked lick ...she just ain't in it long enough.

Sexiest Bond baddy : Orgasm killer Famke Janson in Goldeneye lick cool

Un-sexiest Bond girl : that plank Tanya Roberts in A View To A Kill moon

Un-sexiest Bond baddy : Irma Bunt in OHMSS slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. BBC Radio 2, Friday 14th September at 8pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01mk3hm

"James Bond and Beyond"
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2012
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    BBC Radio 2, Friday 14th September at 8pm

"James Bond and Beyond"

I've always wondered what lies beyond.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Sexiest Bond girl : Madeline Smith in Live And Let Die...hubbabubba shocked lick ...she just ain't in it long enough.

Sexiest Bond baddy : Orgasm killer Famke Janson in Goldeneye lick cool

Un-sexiest Bond girl : that plank Tanya Roberts in A View To A Kill moon

Un-sexiest Bond baddy : Irma Bunt in OHMSS slant

Looking at my old list methinks Eva Green could be in with a shout for sexiest Bond girl.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    BBC Radio 2, Friday 14th September at 8pm

"James Bond and Beyond"

I've always wondered what lies beyond.

More Bond? I'll be listening to this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2013
    I was recently interviewed by jamesbond.no to speak about the signficance of music in Bond films -- from Barry onwards.

For someone not particularly fond of Barry OR Bond, I thought I gave reasonably informed replies.

Here it is:

http://jamesbond.no/visArtikler.asp?ID=660

(as always, you have to Google Translate to get the gist of what I'm saying).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    freezing
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2013 edited
    He, he....no worries. It's mostly an informative interview for historical context, and I'm quite positive to several things. But I also point out a few elements that DON'T connect with me, obviously.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Here is the Google Translate version:

http://translate.google.no/translate?sl … mp;act=url
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Thor wrote
    But I also point out a few elements that DON'T connect with me, obviously.

Must. Resist.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2013 edited
    Thor wrote

Interesting but too critical of Barry's approach, a personal thing from you Thunderer rather than taking a step back though to be honest if I had been doing this interview I would have been very much the opposite.

No criticism of Arnold's approach where all of his Bond scores are totally interchangeable?

Perhaps it should have been pointed out that you're no fan of Barry or Bond, it gives it a more interesting perspective as a critique.
  2. Perhaps the preferred Bond composer is an age thing? A bit like your favourite Doctor Who? Or James Bond for that matter?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    If I want to listen to a Bond score, I listen to David Arnold (or now Thomas Newman as well). I get Barry's music and there's some wonderful stuff, but I just have no intent to listen to it outside of the films except for a few tracks.

Heck, even if I want to listen to OHMSS, I listen to the Arnold/Propellerheads version.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

Interesting but too critical of Barry's approach, a personal thing from you Thunderer rather than taking a step back though to be honest if I had been doing this interview I would have been very much the opposite.

No criticism of Arnold's approach where all of his Bond scores are totally interchangeable?

Perhaps it should have been pointed out that you're no fan of Barry or Bond, it gives it a more interesting perspective as a critique.

I felt that I was being far, far more positive than I would have been in a normal conversation -- since it was jamesbond.no doing the interview. I felt that I did the 'step back' thing fine, though....informing on some issues rather than relating my opinions.

But it's in the eye of the beholder, obviously. If the questions had been posed here or in another conversation, I would probably have been a bit more negative.

(it's pointed out a couple of times that I'm no Bond or Barry fan, but it doesn't come across that clearly in the Google Translate).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2013
    Anthony said:

Heck, even if I want to listen to OHMSS, I listen to the Arnold/Propellerheads version.

It's good and could have been a lot better if Dodds hadn't over-cranked the brass, it's cringe-making.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Perhaps the preferred Bond composer is an age thing? A bit like your favourite Doctor Who? Or James Bond for that matter?

Partly....maybe!?

To me, Barry IS Bond as much as John Williams is Star Wars, without any of the Barry sound he is no longer James Bond, it's something that at least David Arnold understands.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    yeah

I agree.
    I think the "Bond sound" is one of the very key elements in defining Bond. Even more so than the actual actor depicting the role!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Perhaps the preferred Bond composer is an age thing? A bit like your favourite Doctor Who? Or James Bond for that matter?

Partly....maybe!?

To me, Barry IS Bond as much as John Williams is Star Wars, without any of the Barry sound he is no longer James Bond, it's something that at least David Arnold understands.

In that sense, I can understand why Newman's score leaves you wanting more. But maybe you could listen to it from another perspective; think of it as a Newman action score, not a Newman Bond score? (Which is how I see it.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah, but in that mindset you divorce the music from its intended medium.
    Which of course is something we do here all the time, but for such a well-established franchise as James Bond is, it's VERY hard (indeed, I would argue, nigh to impossible) to listen to the music away from the context.
    I wouldn't be able to do that with any of the Bond scores.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I can!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Steven wrote
    I can!

Stand it?
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Yeah, but in that mindset you divorce the music from its intended medium.
    Which of course is something we do here all the time, but for such a well-established franchise as James Bond is, it's VERY hard (indeed, I would argue, nigh to impossible) to listen to the music away from the context.
    I wouldn't be able to do that with any of the Bond scores.

yeah
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I can!

Good for you. smile

For the time being I've given up on SKYFALL, maybe I'll return to it again...one day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Fair enough! I wouldn't mind Arnold coming back to score the new one, mostly because he rarely scores anything, and it's nice just to hear new Arnold scores. sad
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Fair enough! I wouldn't mind Arnold coming back to score the new one, mostly because he rarely scores anything, and it's nice just to hear new Arnold scores. sad

I would welcome seeing Arnold back, I'd also welcome someone un-tried on Bond despite how much I was looking forward to ( and eventually disappointed by ) Thomas Newman's take.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Indeed. And that person should be Powell! Or Ed Shearmur! Oh. I just mentioned Ed Shearmur. Now I'm depressed... sad I'm gonna go listen to Sky Captain...
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2014 edited
    Anyone want to watch some live James Bond music?

http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos/otro … 3/2393167/

A bit of Diego Navarro chatting prior to the concert footage itself, plus some "talking heads" (in Spanish) throughout.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2014
    The current kerfuffle surrounding the North Korea 'Sony hack' malarkey is Idris Elba as the next James Bond.

I'm for it. I think he'd make a better suave Bond than Craig's more Bourne-like version (which I like too).
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2014
    I already like Idris Elba from watching Luther, so I'd be fine with this.

When Daniel Craig came along, I had an initial "who?" reaction but luckily he's been brilliant.
  3. I thought Craig had been signed for two more 007s including "Spectre". Not so?
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.