• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I've just returned from a concert of Bregovic's music, featuring his orchestra. There was no program that I could see, no sense of order in any part of the night that I could see, and at the start, it seemed there was no chance of a good evening with an anemic warm-up act that must count as perverse programming...

... but Goran made up for it in every sense of the word. His concert was chaotic, but supremely enjoyable. This is a composer whose works I have been far too slow to pick up. And for the half hour of warm-up act that got things off on the wrong foot, he gave us an hour of extra performance from his own crew.

I recognised themes from UNDERGROUND and LA REINE MARGOT, but overall, I have no idea what I heard. But I do know that I liked it enough to join a queue of people lining up to buy a cd of his after a concert that ended well past 11pm.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2008
    what went wrong exactly during the first half? how does "chaotic" translate in reality?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2008
    I love Goran's work, and I'm quite envious you got to attend one of his concerts, which I think are rather rare outside of Eastern Europe. His Ederlezi, though seriously overused (I think he revisits that theme every other score or so wink ) is marvellous.
    I like that ponderous eastern moody tone combined with wild, almost gypsy-esque exuberance.
    His non-film work is wonderful as well.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    what went wrong exactly during the first half? how does "chaotic" translate in reality?

The first half hour was a group of 12 female singers from an Australia-based Bulgarian choir group. The microphone placement was such that their texture was extremely unimpressive, and when you've come to hear a concert filled with wild gypsy music, a capella choir really doesn't cut it. Whoever programmed them to open the concert should have his head examined. Fortunately Goran played an hour extra at the end to make up for their half hour.

Among the chaotic elements of Goran's concert when they came to the stage: (i) serious feedback on the double bass solo in the opening piece; (ii) Goran's guitar, though plugged in correctly, didn't seem to work, robbing 'La Reine Margot' of his solo part (though it attuned me more to the other parts, so I didn't mind, beyond his visible concern). They got it working by the time it was next needed. There were some other issues throughout the night, including a moment where it looked like the oboist was pouring out his lungs into his instrument but we weren't hearing it, but the sense of chaos suited the music well, actually.

Though the program was titled 'Songs from Weddings and Funerals', Goran explained at the end that he'd concentrated on the weddings side of the program. He demonstrated their two main types of funeral music, and then remarked that no one should die tonight, as his band are very expensive for funerals. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2008
    Hehe! Excellent. applause
    Thanks for the report Michael.
    I like his music too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Christodoulides wrote
    what went wrong exactly during the first half?

Perhaps he fell from a tree again? wink

Sorry, that was a bad joke. slant
    But seriously, that happened only in june and I thought his spine was injured... how was he doing Michael, all recovered?
  3. He seemed fine.
    He even drank quite a bit of scotch during the encore!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    franz_conrad wrote
    He seemed fine.
    He even drank quite a bit of scotch during the encore!

That was probably against the pain in his leg. slant
    Or maybe it's just an eastern european thing. Moody, dark introspection and wild exuberance generally goes hand in hand with a definite sense of over-lubrication, so to speak.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. He said his next album, due out next year, was called ALCOHOL. The first part would be could 'grania' (potent 40% alcohol drink), the second would be called 'champagne'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    punk punk
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  5. biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website