• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2008
    There were a couple of excellent cues from Signs.
    listen to more classical music!
  1. They are Herrmannesque. Omen is very scary too.

MillenniuM is a great work, indeed, Snow can be subtly scary while retaining some beauty. The same goes for The X-Files. Some of the best atmospheric writing I've heard.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The impression I'm getting from the responses is that the King of the Terror cues is Herrmann.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    There were a couple of excellent cues from Signs.

Excellent choice! How could I forget about the best score written this decade.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregje wrote
    Hey, that's such a coincidence!! Not only did I have to think of the SR Halloween topic when I saw this one as well, but also: two months ago Uber-Jason added me as a friend on Facebook.

shocked

Brilliant! punk
    What a great and satisfying resolution. smile
    Thanks for that, Bregje. Give him my best if/when you speak to him again (if he remembers me).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. HeeroJF wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

The clown sequence!!! It scares the bejesus out of me every time, on film AND on disc. And Twisted Abduction is so twisted I love to fear it.

Facehuggers yeah punk

What's that other cue with the silence and suddenly the loud crash... it's seat-jumping stuff if you're not prepared for it. I think it's 'Sub-level 3'.

And how could I forget The Omen with its spine tingling evil chanting? Goldsmith is GOD.

Actually, I never saw the film Peter Proud, but the music is indeed quite creepy.

Uhm, the film I was talking about was Poltergeist, hence the clown reference.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2008
    I love John Carpenter's 'Prince Of Darkness' , some nice athmospheric stuff in there with moments that make you jump . The same for 'The Fog' . And what about James Horner's 'Aliens' ? The track "Sub-Level 3" sounds pretty scary to me . And some tracks from Richard Band's 'Re-Animator' ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2008 edited
    Eric wrote
    And what about James Horner's 'Aliens' ? The track "Sub-Level 3" sounds pretty scary to me .

Aliens? I can't believe we didn't mention that one before. wink biggrin

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Thor wrote
    I really can't stand traditional horror film music, to be honest (with a bunch of stingers and all that). It has to be in a non-conventional style if I'm gonna pick it up on CD - such as the "delicious darkness" sound that guys like Goldenthal, Beltrami, Young excel at (the romantic HELLRAISER being a good example).

THAT SAID, the scariest score of all time is UNQUESTIONABLY Goldenthal's PET SEMATARY. I even have trouble getting through that and sleeping at night afterwards. Geezes, that creeps me out.

Too true. Whereas a "traditional" adventure score with brash, cliché unoriginal heroic theme can still provide entertainment on the "guilty pleasure" level, a "traditional" horror score is just plain annoying. Nothing but stingers and low rumbles. That's why when a truly good horror score comes along, you take notice!

Hm, for some reason Pet Sematary has never quite sunk in for me, and I've always considered Goldenthal's Alien3 far scarier. I should give it another go now that the season of scares is upon us. But I still maintain that the scariest score ever has got to be The Evil Dead. Joseph LoDuca is my king of scares, above Goldenthal and Herrmann, even.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ALIEN 3 is seriously creepy music.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And seriously KICK-ASS! Same goes for Sphere which i know has its lovers on this board!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    ALIEN 3 is seriously creepy music.

Christodoulides wrote
    And seriously KICK-ASS! Same goes for Sphere which i know has its lovers on this board!

Both are superb! And both films are guilty pleasures. For some reason when ever I see Sphere on TV I'm completely sucked in. As for Alien3... I've always loved it and surprisingly after my wife and I watched the Alien Trilogy back-to-back-to-back a few months ago she actually preferred Alien3 over Alien and Aliens. Interesting...

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You're talking about her preference over the movie, right? 'CAuse i doubt she actually liked Goldenthal's score wink As for SPHERE the movie, I caught several scenes of it on TV and never actually watched the whole of it, but I recall liking what I saw. It looked like a pretty tense film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    You're talking about her preference over the movie, right? 'CAuse i doubt she actually liked Goldenthal's score wink

Ya... but I haven't played the Alien3 score for her but I'm pretty sure it's not her cup of tea! wink

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Haha i wonder if Mr.Moo will one day grow into liking Goldenthal's textures which i seriously doubt too wink

Out of curiosity if the family shares the passion of the daddy, i wanted to ask you; Is your wife particularly into specific film music styles or certain scores, Erik? Or are her musical tastes completely departed from film music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Erik Woods wrote
    Eric wrote
    And what about James Horner's 'Aliens' ? The track "Sub-Level 3" sounds pretty scary to me .

Aliens? I can't believe we didn't mention that one before. wink biggrin

-Erik-

LOL
    I thought someone mentioned it before ... but couldn't quite put my finger on it where it was ... You didn't mention "Sub-Level 3" though ... biggrin wink
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    ALIEN 3 is indeed creepy at times, but nowhere NEAR PET SEMATARY. I think ALIEN 3 is Goldenthal's magnum opus, but it has this "rawness" and "delicious" sound to it that makes it more of a concert piece than a creepy horror score (especially with all the setpieces).
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Yes I mentioned it, Sub-Level 3, on first page. The loud crash at the end is just shocked

Alien 3 is also one that has its moments of fright because that was supposed to be for a horrorfilm, whereas Sphere is suspense music for an action thriller.

I do like both films on their own though. Sphere has that thing where you're just sucked into it, but the end is a bit of a mess really. And Alien 3 is a pure mood-shocker. As in more moody than shocking...
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Haha i wonder if Mr.Moo will one day grow into liking Goldenthal's textures which i seriously doubt too wink

Who knows. Right now he loves good tunes and something that's up beat... so far from the Goldenthal side of things.

Christodoulides wrote
    Out of curiosity if the family shares the passion of the daddy, i wanted to ask you; Is your wife particularly into specific film music styles or certain scores, Erik? Or are her musical tastes completely departed from film music.

Ummm... they don't share the passion but from time to time I play guess the score with Janet. She loved Han Solo and Princess when she heard it at the Star Wars concert a few years ago. She loves Gladiator and The Da Vinci Code. She even mentioned the quality of the music when we re-watched the movie last week. She also really loves Frida (look at that - Goldenthal wink ) and The Cider House Rules. But she would rather listen to pop radio than film scores.

My Dad on the other hand really appreciates film scores. Not hard core mind you but he has a fair sized collection and listens to them often. Empire of the Sun is his favorite film score.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Christodoulides wrote

*raises hand*
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    HeeroJF wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

*raises hand*

I am glad! The sound texture on this score are simply phenomenal.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2012
    Genuinely Creepy Music

Here's an interesting new article to set the ball rolling, keep your suggestions coming!

Alien + 13 more of the creepiest sci-fi and horror film scores ever
    http://blastr.com/2012/06/alien-14-of-the-creepiest.php

Personally, the ones that come to mind instantly (but we are talking about genuinely creepy music both in the aural and also psychological field)

INSIDIOUS by Joseph Bishara (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkK7vJxeTR4)
    RINGU by Kenji Kawai
    FINAL FANTASY THE SPIRITS WITHIN
    ALIEN 3
    SPHERE
    IN DREAMS All by Elliot Goldenthal
    THE HAUNTING IN CONNECTICUT - Robert J Kral (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrBfFPdUB2g)
    EL ORFANATO - Fernando Velasquez
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    You HAVE TO include Goldenthal's PET SEMATARY, in my opinion the scariest score ever written. So much, in fact, that I hardly ever listen to it. It just freaks me out.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2012 edited
    One of the all time scariest and most unique tracks of James Horner's career is Facehuggers from ALIENS. That's the stuff nightmares are made of.

-Erik-

PS - Here is my Halloween special featuring 3 hours of creepy music - http://www.cinematicsound.net/halloween-special/
    • CommentAuthorJoshL
    Nice playlists, Erik! Lots of great stuff already mentioned, but I have a special place in my heart for Goblin's "Susperia"

Oh, and dipping into video game scores for a moment, I don't know if they ever released official scores for the Fatal Frame games, but they were TERRIFYING. Upon completing the first game, you opened up a "sound test" mode where you could play the tracks, and I made my own cds with that. Great scary stuff!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2012
    THIS is the most nightmarish track I can think of, something about this hits me on a much deeper level than all the previously above mentioned tracks.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    THIS is the most nightmarish track I can think of, something about this hits me on a much deeper level than all the previously above mentioned tracks.

That's the G-O-D morse code track, right?

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yes, that's right Erik.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote

Strange how we all differ.

I think that's a fascinating and 'hypnotic' track, but nothing really scary about it.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2012 edited
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

Strange how we all differ.

I think that's a fascinating and 'hypnotic' track, but nothing really scary about it.

It goes to another ( indefinable? ) level than just scaryness for me. I don't think there's any music that scares me.