• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2008
    Steven wrote
    Defiance James Newton Howard

Enjoying much more now that I cut it down to 33 minutes. The theme more than deserves to be on any JNH compilation, it's beautiful. What a fantastic composer, it's so great to hear him produce stuff like this after a score like Michael Clayton.

Yeah, it's growing on me. The theme is lovely, I agree. I wonder if the CD release will be arranged any differently?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2008 edited
    NP: Fly Away Home - Mark Isham

I'm so happy finally I can listen to this score of my favorite film. But it really deserves an official release, even this promo thing is in good quality.

The "flying music" are all gorgeous. I also love the fun western music represents cute birdies! biggrin
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Yep, and I still think The Happening is one of the better scores from 2008. May not always make a pleasant listen, but at least it's intelligent film music (or at least intelligent music).

Have you seen the film? It's had awful reviews.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. LSH wrote
    Steven wrote

Enjoying much more now that I cut it down to 33 minutes. The theme more than deserves to be on any JNH compilation, it's beautiful. What a fantastic composer, it's so great to hear him produce stuff like this after a score like Michael Clayton.

Yeah, it's growing on me. The theme is lovely, I agree. I wonder if the CD release will be arranged any differently?

It should the track titles sound like cue sheet titles. And two Camp Montages?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Yep, and I still think The Happening is one of the better scores from 2008. May not always make a pleasant listen, but at least it's intelligent film music (or at least intelligent music).

It is very pleasant to me, those tragic celli soli are simply beautiful. They could have easily edited out the loud creepy bangs heard in places though, in the sake of a better listening experience.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

I saw it and loved it. I thought the people who didn't like it did so because they expected something totally different. The film's premise is very up-to-date and partly realistic, imo. Not perhaps in the way it was presented in it, but nature is surely going to reject us one day they way we kill it each and every passing moment.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

I saw it and loved it. I thought the people who didn't like it did so because they expected something totally different. The film's premise is very up-to-date and partly realistic, imo. Not perhaps in the way it was presented in it, but nature is surely going to reject us one day they way we kill it each and every passing moment.

I guess it's worth a rent on DVD then.

I think I'll get this out tomorrow along with The Mist.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Although I didn't like The Happening, The Mist is very much worth a look!

smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    With the monsters and all? Nah...
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Yeah, that one.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote

smile

Yeap! I'm really looking forward to The Mist.

NP : THE FILM MUSIC OF RON GOODWIN

Perfect music for while I cook cool punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

It is very pleasant to me, those tragic celli soli are simply beautiful. They could have easily edited out the loud creepy bangs heard in places though, in the sake of a better listening experience.

As for DEFIANCE, i can't get enough of the beautiful celli / violin soli of tracks like " Aron Finds Survivors" or "Mourning", a musical philosophy which reminds me of his work for the SHYAMALAN movies, something i consider his best outcome to date as a whole. I think we all agree that JNH is one of the most gifted modern composers working in the film industry and one with a very refined sound and personal musical identity.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    LSH wrote
    Steven wrote

I hope so! I agree with the general consensus that there's some really fine music in there. Presented properly it could make for one of the year's most engaging film music albums.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    LSH wrote

smile

I thought the mist was very well done as well. Tom Jane was excellent.
    The end however, is one of the most emotionally disturbing scenes I've ever seen. But still under the scene in Downfall when Goebbels wife (correct me If I'm wrong) kills her children.

Plus I really enjoyed the happening. I think it had the most serious tone of his last three films. Mark was excellent.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    omaha wrote
    LSH wrote

smile

The end however, is one of the most emotionally disturbing scenes I've ever seen. But still under the scene in Downfall when Goebbels wife (correct me If I'm wrong) kills her children.

Plus I really enjoyed the happening. I think it had the most serious tone of his last three films. Mark was excellent.

Did you put a "SPOILER" in this post? I've only glanced at it.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Timmer wrote
    omaha wrote
    LSH wrote

smile

Hmmmmmmmmmmm... not really.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    omaha wrote
    Timmer wrote
    omaha wrote
    LSH wrote

smile

Hmmmmmmmmmmm... not really.

cool

As I started to read it looked as if you were heading that way.

DOWNFALL is an incredible film and one I'd recommend unreservedly to everyone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: The Tudors ~ Trevor Morris
    One of the scores I have returned to quite a lot the past few days. A Historic Love is my personal favourite.Very well composed music in general, with the an irish/scotish air in most of the cues.
    Has anybody else given this score a try?
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Street Scene by Newman
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Stavroula wrote
    NP: The Tudors ~ Trevor Morris
    One of the scores I have returned to quite a lot the past few days. A Historic Love is my personal favourite.Very well composed music in general, with the an irish/scotish air in most of the cues.
    Has anybody else given this score a try?

It's very good. Some of it reminds me of the 'Premonitary' music from Trevor Jones Last of The Mohicans.
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Most people I know who disliked the film kept talking about one thing: bad acting.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Out of Africa - John Barry

Haven't listened to this one for years and had become convinced that all those who said it was simply a series of restatements of the main theme were correct. Delighted to find out that it isn't!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Most people I know who disliked the film kept talking about one thing: bad acting.

I think it's kinda humorous, and it was intended, at least to me it's pretty obvious. Maybe implying something about the general masses? Who knows. One thing's for sure, they way i see it; the film takes itself less seriously in essence than what the majority of its audience does.
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2008
    Miya wrote

I'm so happy finally I can listen to this score of my favorite film. But it really deserves an official release, even this promo thing is in good quality.

The "flying music" are all gorgeous. I also love the fun western music represents cute birdies! biggrin

This is my favorite score by Mark Isham. I think he did a tremendous job on all the moods of this film. From the wonderful flight scenes with the glider to the tenderness in the goslings music. He also nailed pretty well Amy's grief period with the oh so touching recurring voice and of course, the quirkiness of the goslings with its accordion and fiddle jolly air. To top it off a few parts with action and brass like he does so well. It is a sacrilege that this hasn't a proper Cd release since it is for me his best.
  3. I must get around to seeing it now that it's on DVD. I'm not sure if I buy the idea of bad acting being deliberate though. That doesn't seem to be Shyamalan's game - or it'd be a bit of a risk to try a stunt like that given his credibility is on the rocks after LADY IN THE WATER and that biography that came a few years back.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    I must get around to seeing it now that it's on DVD. I'm not sure if I buy the idea of bad acting being deliberate though. That doesn't seem to be Shyamalan's game - or it'd be a bit of a risk to try a stunt like that given his credibility is on the rocks after LADY IN THE WATER and that biography that came a few years back.

Biography? Tell me more Michael.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2008 edited
    Enjoying the shit out of...

INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM (EXPANDED) - John Williams

Ooooooooooooooooooooooh baby! This cements my decision of placing Temple of Doom as the second greatest score ever composed. "Short Round Helps" contains one of the Top 3 renditions of the Raiders March EVER! And even though there's music missing and questionable edits throughout the entire set it's great to finally have the most of the previously unreleased music on CD for the first first time!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Panthera wrote
    NP: Madagascar - Hans Zimmer

I always thought people were too harsh on this score. I wish more was released, to tell the truth. I really like the Beacon of Liberty track, even though some of you said you disliked it. I'm glad the second score has more music released. I hope its good.

I heard some cues by Heitor Pereira on his website, which are better than official tracks. Perhaps there are some more good things unreleased.

As for Beacon of Liberty... I tried it again but I couldn't like it. I much prefer Hammy Time from Over The Hedge by Rupert Gregson-Williams that has similar sound.

But as I said, I like Zoosters Breakout. It's addictive!

I tend to be harsh on it maybe because I'm afraid he'll lose the chance to get a better animation project if he'll keep scoring films like Madagascar... I heard he turned down Finding Nemo because of Shark Tale. rolleyes (But its source is IMDb and Wikipedia so I'm not sure about its reliability. And I have to quickly say before getting shot, I love Thomas Newman's Nemo! wink)

NP: The Lion King (expanded) - my another hero

Yeah. Remember who you are. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Tintin wrote
    Miya wrote

This is my favorite score by Mark Isham. I think he did a tremendous job on all the moods of this film. From the wonderful flight scenes with the glider to the tenderness in the goslings music. He also nailed pretty well Amy's grief period with the oh so touching recurring voice and of course, the quirkiness of the goslings with its accordion and fiddle jolly air. To top it off a few parts with action and brass like he does so well. It is a sacrilege that this hasn't a proper Cd release since it is for me his best.

Completely agree. The music on the hatching scene is also really effective. And I like the radar sound on the action cue biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Miya wrote
    NP: The Lion King (expanded) - my another hero

Yeah. Remember who you are. tongue

The best score ever by him. So far nothing he's ever composed moved me like this. My fingers crossed for the genuine Academy Promo... wink

NP: the same

The expanded ...To Die For (albeit mono sad ) = the best Zimmer action cue ever (for me).