• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2008 edited
    Tadlow has announced that they will be re-recording Ernest Gold's Academy Award Winning score to Exodus as their next project.

http://miklosrozsa.yuku.com/topic/924/t … ments.html

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2008
    That's excellent news. The old original sounds awful.

And that theme is right up there with the great classic themes of Jarre, Barry, Williams, Moross etc as one of the greatest ever written.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    It is a great theme.
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    It is a great theme.

I would go as far as to say one of the all time greatest.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. I agree smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2008
    But the rest of the score?
    thomas smile
  2. So far as I can tell, Gold only scored one episode of "Gunsmoke" -- and it was a good score. You can watch the episode online legally and hear his score now:

http://www.tvland.com/fullepisodes/guns … odeId=7684
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. And from Tadlow's website

SPECIAL LIMITED COLLECTORS EDITION
    EXODUS

World Premiere Recording of the Complete Film Score
    Composed by ERNEST GOLD

THE CITY OF PRAGUE PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA AND CHORUS
    Conducted by NIC RAINE

Solo Violin: Lucie Svehlova
    Solo Cello: Pavel Belousek
    Solo Recorder: Gareth Williams

Produced by JAMES FITZPATRICK

DISC 1

1. Prelude (2:42)
    2. Summer in Cyprus (1:55)
    3. Escape / The General (2:06)
    4. Ari (3:49)
    5. On the Beach* (2:06)
    6. The Tent – Karen / Lorries / The Convoy* (4:13)
    7. The Star of David* (0:40)
    8. Odenheim’s Death / Karen’s Story *(4:02)
    9. Approaching Haifa / The Oath* (3:03)
    10. Kitty *(2:02)
    11. Akiva’s Hideout (1:41)
    12. Love is Where You Find It / The Valley of Jezreel * (6:08)
    13. Yad El / He is Dead* (2:26)
    14. Goodbye / Intermission Music – Fight for Survival (2:44)
    15. Karen’s Father (In Jerusalem) ((3:51)
    16. Akiva’s Arrest* (3:21)
    17. Execution Chamber / Don’t Let My Brother Die* (1:36)
    18. Acre Prison / The Chess Game (Conspiracy)* (5:41)
    19. D-Day / The Bombs (Prison Break)* (7:43)

DISC 2

1. The Arsenal* (1:26)
    2. The Operation *(1:47)
    3. Children on the Hill* (2:04)
    4. Dawn / Finale – The Fight for Peace (6:45)
    5. Exit Music - Hatikvah (3:30)
    6. EXODUS – This Land is Mine (Lyrics by Pat Boone) (2:20)

BONUS TRACKS
    7. IT’S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD - Exit Music (2:06)
    8. SHIP OF FOOLS = Candlelight and Silver Waltz (5:11)
    9. JUDITH – Main Title Music - Sol Kaplan (4:09)

Suite from QB VII Composed by Jerry Goldsmith
    10. Main Title (2:02)
    11. The Holocaust (2:52)
    12. Visit to the Sheikh (2:14)
    13. The Wailing Wall (3:15)
    14. Kaddish for the Six Million (3:20)

SCHINDLER’S LIST - John Williams
    15. Schindler’s List (4:18)
    16. Remembrances (5:55)

17. CAST A GIANT SHADOW – Prelude - Elmer Bernstein (3:00)
    18. CAST A GIANT SHADOW – Land of Hope - Elmer Bernstein (3:21)
    19. EXODUS - Rhapsody for Cello and Orchestra (6:56)
    20. EXODUS – Concert Overture (4:28)

* Contains previously unrecorded music

SEPTEMBER 7th 2009 RELEASE DATE

Can't wait ! punk
  4. The complete score runs to about 79 minutes. Couldn't they have fitted it all onto one CD?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2009
    Not exactly sure what the h**l this 2nd CD is all about.
    Tom
  5. There is quite a bit on the second disc that I either already have in another form or is something I don't want. Depending on the cost of the 2-CD set I may pass and be content with the original release.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2009
    sdtom wrote
    Not exactly sure what the h**l this 2nd CD is all about.
    Tom

This is what the hell it's about straight from the horses mouth courtesy of the FSM message board.

"Originally I planned EXODUS as a single CD. Then I was offered the chance to record IT'S A MAD...WORLD and SHIP OF FOOLS by Gold..plus his EXODUS Rhapsody for Cello..

So, then it was gong to be a short-ish running double CD.

Then after he EXODUS sessions I found had some 83 minutes of score...just a few too many minutes to fit comfortably on one CD. (The manufacturers still get labels to sign a clearance form that if the time of a CD goes over 76:50 then if there are any faulty CDs it is not the fault of the manufacturer but of the record label..so they will not credit any faulties!!! Just imagine if the manufacturer pressed 3000 faulty CDs....)

So, then I decided to "go the whole hog" a record a whole load of extras to make both CDs well over an hour each. CD one being about 66 minutes, CD 2 being about 72 minutes.

This meant making an artistic cut from one CD to the next followng the main action cue "D-Day Bombs".

It might have be nice to have EXODUS as just one CD minus about 4 or 5 minutes of score...it certainly would have saved me thousands of pounds it cost recording the extras of SCHINDLER'S LIST, CAST A GIANT SHADOW, JUDITH etc...

and yes, QB VII is the suite I put together for Silva...but as I actually paid for the recording myself they let me licence these tracks... but I did take the opportunity to remaster them..."

- James Fitzpatrick

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    It might have be nice to have EXODUS as just one CD minus about 4 or 5 minutes of score...it certainly would have saved me thousands of pounds it cost recording the extras of SCHINDLER'S LIST, CAST A GIANT SHADOW, JUDITH etc...

and yes, QB VII is the suite I put together for Silva...but as I actually paid for the recording myself they let me licence these tracks... but I did take the opportunity to remaster them..."

I suppose in this game James Fitzpatrick's decision either way would not please a proportion of the buying public.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2009 edited
    I think the Prelude alone is worth those 17 Pounds.

Absolutely breathtaking and beautiful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2009
    You see, that is the kind of absurdity this obsession with presenting scores C&C leads to. There is one more option that Fitzpatrick seems to have forgotten, which has been used for many decades before this hysteria of having extra last note of the score, namely to make EDITORIAL choices based on your musical knowledge (or - if you do not possess this - get someone who has) and present a pure album experience, and weed out cues that don't add to the listening experience. I'm sure it's nice to have those extra tracks and all, but it's so totally UNNECESSARY. And the CD would have been much cheaper to make AND buy if it was on one CD.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2009 edited
    Thor wrote
    What Thor wrote

sleep

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    I'm really looking forward to this one.

EVERY LAST NOTE! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote
    What Thor wrote

sleep

-Erik-

Even you have to agree that padding the running time with bonus tracks that have nothing whatsoever to do with either Gold or EXODUS is a bit weird; just because you need to have those 30 seconds of music as the protagonist flushes the toilet?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote
    What Thor wrote

sleep

-Erik-

Even you have to agree that padding the running time with bonus tracks that have nothing whatsoever to do with either Gold or EXODUS is a bit weird; just because you need to have those 30 seconds of music as the protagonist flushes the toilet?

But that flushing the toilet music COULD in fact be the best part of the score.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote
    What Thor wrote

sleep

-Erik-

But that flushing the toilet music COULD in fact be the best part of the score.

-Erik-

I'm talking about the bits that don't add anything to the overall experience, let's say an almost verbatim repeat of a theme or some perfunctory, schizophrenic cues. To weed these out instead of spending tens of thousands of dollars on recording pieces of music that have nothing to do with either score or composer - just to pad out the running time - would have seemed so much more sensible to me.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Blah blah blah blah same old same old

I've been baited but I think I'm just going to let this go! Bregt, where is the :beating a dead horse: emoticon?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote
    Blah blah blah blah same old same old

I've been baited but I think I'm just going to let this go! Bregt, where is the :beating a dead horse: emoticon?

-Erik-

Yeah, my opinion on C&C is same old, same old. However, this thing with padding out running times with completely unrelated tracks just to have every single second of music of a score, is a brand-new thing. It takes the absurdity one step further! dizzy
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    However, this thing with padding out running times with completely unrelated tracks just to have every single second of music of a score, is a brand-new thing. It takes the absurdity one step further! dizzy

I welcome it. Why don't we LISTEN to those other unrelated cues before we pass judgment huh? Oh, that's right... you're not buying this. Your loss.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote
    However, this thing with padding out running times with completely unrelated tracks just to have every single second of music of a score, is a brand-new thing. It takes the absurdity one step further! dizzy

I welcome it. Why don't we LISTEN to those other unrelated cues before we pass judgment huh? Oh, that's right... you're not buying this. Your loss.

-Erik-

Hey, I've got no problem with the QUALITY of those tracks. They might sound like bloody Karajan and the Berliner Philharmoniker for that matter! I'm sure they're all fine and dandy. No, I'm just perplexed by the inclusion of them in the first place - a natural(?) consequence of a C&C presentation that went JUST over 1 CD. It's just....crazy.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Of the bonus tracks is it the cues from Ship of Fools and Judith that are so far unreleased?

And to people who know better than me, how are the already-available recordings of the rest (e.g., QB VII)?
  8. Thor wrote
    You see, that is the kind of absurdity this obsession with presenting scores C&C leads to. There is one more option that Fitzpatrick seems to have forgotten, which has been used for many decades before this hysteria of having extra last note of the score, namely to make EDITORIAL choices based on your musical knowledge (or - if you do not possess this - get someone who has) and present a pure album experience, and weed out cues that don't add to the listening experience. I'm sure it's nice to have those extra tracks and all, but it's so totally UNNECESSARY. And the CD would have been much cheaper to make AND buy if it was on one CD.

I think he knows how important this completeness thing is as a marketing badge at the moment. It's a brand that instantly makes a certain proportion of the buying public go for it, even if they already have a perfectly good release. (Despite your years of - admittedly sensible - protestations on this issue, the words 'complete' and 'not quite complete' push people's buttons in this market.)

Personally I wish he'd stuck with one disc, and got it around 70 minutes or so. Having said that, I would like to hear his take on the QB VII material. I assume he'd give it less of a dry sound than the original album recording. And it certainly is a score worthy of at least one revisiting.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2009
    Actually having the CD now the choices do make sense.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2009
    This morning I was listening to Exodus again, specifically the short but effective Rhapsody For Cello and I pondered how well this score could work in a total symphonic setting like Korngold use to do with his themes.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2009
    I'm kind of working on the review between football, baseball, and other things
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2009 edited
    I've gone ahead and ordered Exodus, after only hearing the fragment on the Screen Archives page. It's the only Gold I will own.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.