• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Wow. This place is incredible for the soundtrack collector.

So incredible, I visited there twice, even though I had only a few days to see the sights of Tokyo.

So incredible, I couldn't purchase anything, because there was too much to choose from. (And because the Yen is not good for Australians at the moment.)

People, you just don't see physical soundtrack sections like that in stores any more. They have many sold out limited editions on the shelf. They have every recent limited edition release I can remember from the last few weeks.

All you Tokyo-based afficianados are fortunate indeed. lick
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2008
    You went to Tokyo? Japan is heaven for everything it seems these days, not just score CD's.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. To go there, I did indeed go to Tokyo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2008 edited
    Yes, what an incredible place we have!

I visited there several times. I bought Spanglish there a few years ago, but I didn't purchase anything except it. I haven't been there recently, though, because I noticed it's really frustrating to stare a pile of treasures I can't afford to buy. crazy

But you should go to Tower Records Shibuya if you get a chance. It's more incredible! More soundtracks, and many are sorted by composer names. They even have "Remote Control Team" category! biggrin Apparently there is a buyer who knows film music (he also writes soundtrack reviews at towerrecords.co.jp).

I heard there was also a soundtrack store called Sumiya in Shibuya, but it was closed down last year. I never have been there...

I have a dream... one day, when I get a decent job and make enough money, I'll go to Tower Records and put all the soundtracks I want into my shopping cart... lick biggrin
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2008
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2008 edited
    Ha Tower Records in Shibuya... I bought Troy there... haha kind of souvenir. Nice selection, love those Japanese covers. There is also a nice little cd shop with a superb ost collection somewhere in those streets behind Shinjuku station. I remember you have to up one or two flight of stairs. Anyone knows that one... great stuff... a few copies of the complete Krull for example were just sitting there. Thank the Japanese for their broad taste. (albeit sometimes a bit weird; Hentai and such smile

ps. I was amazed how polite these Japanese people are... they just can place vendor machines at each corner in suburbs... and nobody breaks them, pisses on/in them, put them on fire, or put dogshit in/on it. I know in Europe they would do that right away... I was also walking on the street in Tokyo, in the middle of nowhere, passing by a group of sewer workers, all neatly outfitted in a kind of superb retro workmans outfit, with great helmets. When I passed by they all bowed together. I felt a bit akward... hehe. Quite amazing. I myself live in Hong Kong, but Chinese are way different, more ragtag, making their own uniforms and such, without any regulations and such. Great people, nothing against them (my wife is Chinese) but not as well disciplined as Japanese, but a bit more "colorful". Anyway... enough of my useless ranting.
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2008
    Talos wrote
    Ha Tower Records in Shibuya... I bought Troy there... haha kind of souvenir. Nice selection, love those Japanese covers. There is also a nice little cd shop with a superb ost collection somewhere in those streets behind Shinjuku station. I remember you have to up one or two flight of stairs. Anyone knows that one... great stuff... a few copies of the complete Krull for example were just sitting there. Thank the Japanese for their broad taste. (albeit sometimes a bit weird; Hentai and such smile

ps. I was amazed how polite these Japanese people are... they just can place vendor machines at each corner in suburbs... and nobody breaks them, pisses on/in them, put them on fire, or put dogshit in/on it. I know in Europe they would do that right away... I was also walking on the street in Tokyo, in the middle of nowhere, passing by a group of sewer workers, all neatly outfitted in a kind of superb retro workmans outfit, with great helmets. When I passed by they all bowed together. I felt a bit akward... hehe. Quite amazing. I myself live in Hong Kong, but Chinese are way different, more ragtag, making their own uniforms and such, without any regulations and such. Great people, nothing against them (my wife is Chinese) but not as well disciplined as Japanese, but a bit more "colorful". Anyway... enough of my useless ranting.

A touch of that kind of culture wouldn't go amiss here! rolleyes
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    Wow. This place is incredible for the soundtrack collector.

So incredible, I visited there twice, even though I had only a few days to see the sights of Tokyo.

So incredible, I couldn't purchase anything, because there was too much to choose from. (And because the Yen is not good for Australians at the moment.)

People, you just don't see physical soundtrack sections like that in stores any more. They have many sold out limited editions on the shelf. They have every recent limited edition release I can remember from the last few weeks.

All you Tokyo-based afficianados are fortunate indeed. lick

I'd like to hear more about your Japan visit Michael? Pics even mayhap???? smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. No chance of pics, as only a few were taken, and they were mostly personal.

I think what's unfortunate about Tokyo is that you can't photograph 'the system' or the behavior, which are the really interesting things about the city. There are sights, but they seemed more suited to abstract representations - painting, animation - than photography. If only you could somehow get a photo that summed up the incredible service culture or the general adherence to order. Amazing.

I should have taken an mp3 recorder on reflection rather than a camera, as the soundscapes would have said more than any pictures.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    franz_conrad wrote

I should have taken an mp3 recorder on reflection rather than a camera, as the soundscapes would have said more than any pictures.

Awesome idea. That's part of what we have to do for our project work on my Music and Sound tech course! That would have been handy... wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    You gotta love the Japanese...the care and interest they show towards the art of film music is astounding.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    You gotta love the Japanese...the care and interest they show towards the art of film music is astounding.

Indeed!
  4. Steven wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Awesome idea. That's part of what we have to do for our project work on my Music and Sound tech course! That would have been handy... wink

A walk down the average street would probably feature frequent peaking, but the range of natural and automated sounds is very striking. I only occasionally put my ipod on to shut it all out.
  5. I'd love to visit Japan someday - life there seems so different.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2008
    I heard they have pretty hot women wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    I heard they have pretty hot women wink

Name a country that DOESN'T have hot women??

and no, Antarctica doesn't count wink
  6. biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Talos wrote
    making their own uniforms and such, without any regulations and such.

shocked How dare they!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn