• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2008
    Nominations:

EUROPEAN COMPOSER 2008
    Tuur Florizoone for AANRIJDING IN MOSCOU (Moscow, Belgium)
    Dario Marianelli for ATONEMENT
    Max Richter for WALTZ WITH BASHIR
    Fernando Velázquez for EL ORFANATO (The Orphanage)

Very cool to see the Belgian nominee, as he was also nominated and awarded in Ghent. I like the score, but not to that extent that I thought it would be nominated that often.
    Kazoo
  1. give it to Fernando Velazquez, it is good enough to win
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. Max Richter's score is pretty solid. An unexpected highlight of the year for me.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    give it to Fernando Velazquez, it is good enough to win

Although i haven't heard Max's and Tuur's (? Who? How is it like?) scores yet and i do want to listen to them, especially after Michael's recommendation on Max's, but yeah, Fernando's score is excellent.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. Orfanato is a really good score in the film and a solid piece of music as well, I agree. And Atonement is no slouch either!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  4. franz_conrad wrote
    Orfanato is a really good score in the film and a solid piece of music as well, I agree. And Atonement is no slouch either!

true, but Atonement is so easy to win, because of the movie's classic status, I say give it to Velasquez who had to make of a horror movie something more, and my god has he succeeded

for me, that is a harder job to do
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Orfanato is a really good score in the film and a solid piece of music as well, I agree. And Atonement is no slouch either!

true, but Atonement is so easy to win, because of the movie's classic status, I say give it to Velasquez who had to make of a horror movie something more, and my god has he succeeded

for me, that is a harder job to do

I agree. As much as I like Marianelli´s Atonement, I think Velázquez deserves an award for his score for The Orphanage.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2008 edited
    Max Richter is the winner for Best Original Score at the European Film Awards. Nice! I was not a fan initially, but after some listens I really like it. Interesting and good documentary/movie as well. No Belgian winner for music though.

Gomorra is the big winner with 5 awards (including Best Movie and Best Director). Haven't seen the movie unfortunately, but it's about the maffia in Napels, causing the writer of the story to hide from public life.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2008
    Since I'm only familiar with Atonement it kind of puts me out of the picture
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2009
    NOMINATIONS FOR 2009 ANNOUNCED:

EUROPEAN FILM COMPOSER:

-Alexandre Desplat for COCO AVANT CHANEL (Coco Before Chanel)
    -Jakob Groth for MÄN SOM HATAR KVINNOR (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo)
    -Alberto Iglesias for LOS ABRAZOS ROTOS (Broken Embraces)
    -Johan Söderqvist for LÅT DEN RÄTTE KOMMA IN (Let the Right One in)

More info here:
    http://moviescoremagazine.com/2009/11/f … ilm-award/
    http://scoremagacine.blogspot.com/2009/ … -film.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    I don't know any of these scores. But since my favorite composer among the above is Desplat, I naturally root for him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Believe me. You will be thrilled with all of them (apart Jakob's score, not that it isn't good, but because i haven't heard it yet and can't express my opinion therefore "All of them" has an exception in this case wink )
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    I vote Johan. Too bad my number one score of the year didn't get nominated.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Which was?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    Pino Donaggio's Oorlogswinter. The film didn't receive a nomination either. Still hoping for an Oscar nomination.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    D'oh! Of course! <slaps head>
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2009 edited
    Alberto Iglesias won Composer of the Year award yesterday at the European Film Awards in Bochum, Germany.

Das Weisse Band (Michael Haneke) won Best Picture, after it had won Palme d'Or in Cannes already. Has anyone seen this movie already? I've noticed the good reviews, but didn't managed to see it.

Full list here:
    http://www.europeanfilmacademy.org/the- … e-winners/
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2010 edited
    The nominations of the European Film Academy were announced during the film festival of Seville.

Composer of the Year
    - Ales Brezina - Kawasakiho Ruze
    - Pasquale Catalano - Mine vaganti
    - Alexandre Desplat - The ghost writer
    - Gary Yershon - Another year

Best Film
    - Bal (Honing) - Semih Kaplanoglu
    - The ghost writer - Roman Polanski
    - Lebanon - Samuel Maoz
    - El secreto de sus ojos - Juan José Campanella
    - Soul kitchen - Fatih Akin
    - Des hommes et des dieux - Xavier Beauvois

All nominees
    http://www.europeanfilmacademy.org/2010 … lm-awards/

Winners will be announced on 4 December in Talinn, Estonia.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2010
    Desplat and Polanski for the win.
  5. I hope Desplat and Campanella win.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Apart from Desplat I don't know any of them and haven't heard the music so I can't say, have either of you heard or seen the works of the other contenders or is it favouritism?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Pure favouritism, and the fact that The Ghost Writer is one of the most intelligent and well directed films I've watched lately. As for the score, it works great in the movie, I think Desplat caught the mood of the film perfectly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Who are the rest of the composers? Any info?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    The nominations of the European Film Academy were announced during the film festival of Seville.

Composer of the Year
    - Ales Brezina - Kawasakiho Ruze
    - Pasquale Catalano - Mine vaganti
    - Alexandre Desplat - The ghost writer
    - Gary Yershon - Another year

Best Film
    - Bal (Honing) - Semih Kaplanoglu
    - The ghost writer - Roman Polanski
    - Lebanon - Samuel Maoz
    - El secreto de sus ojos - Juan José Campanella
    - Soul kitchen - Fatih Akin
    - Des hommes et des dieux - Xavier Beauvois

All nominees
    http://www.europeanfilmacademy.org/2010 … lm-awards/

Winners will be announced on 4 December in Talinn, Estonia.

Right here D.

Use yer mince pies, eh? rolleyes wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    Ales Brezina is a good Tsjech composer. His music to Obsluhoval Jsem Anglického Krále (I Served the King of England) is brilliant. No idea if Kawasakiho Ruze is any good...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    see? Not even joep knows about them for god's sake!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2010
    Film music city Ghent will present a unique concert in Tallinn on 2 December

On 2 December 2010 the Ghent Film Festival will present in cooperation with the city of Ghent, the province of East Flanders, the Flemish Community and Fluxys a concert in Tallinn featuring film music by Gabriel Yared, Shigeru Umebayashi and Arvo Pärt. The concert will take place on the eve of the European Film Awards in the Estonian capital, which is also the European Capital of Culture 2011 and a twin town of Ghent. Gabriel Yared will attend the concert as guest of honour.

Moreover, on 4 December, the European Film Academy as part of the annual presentation of the prestigious European film awards will present him with the European Achievement in World Cinema Award. As usual the excellent musicians of the Brussels Philharmonic – the Orchestra of Flanders are on hand as performers. Dirk Brossé will conduct. The concert will be broadcast on the classical music channel of the Estonian State Radio.

http://www.filmfestival.be/about2.cgi?g … mp;lang=en
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2010
    How many Estonian members do we have?

(Don't bother. I'm being rhetorical. wink )

It's not that weird a venue though: apparently Estonia is quite hip and up 'n' coming though as far as holiday destinations go. Or so I've read (It may be a clever but desperate ploy from moribund Baltic states...).
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2010 edited
    The Ghost Writer was the big winner yesterday. It won the award for Best Film, Best Director, Best Scenario, Best Music, Best Actor, ...

The fantastic Belgian film Mr Nobody won the Public Choice Award. Go see it. It's a beautiful film.

Desplat was not the only film composer receiving an award, also Gabriel Yared got one, Lifetime Achievement Award.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2010
    Bregt wrote
    The Ghost Writer was the big winner yesterday. It won the award for Best Film, Best Director, Best Scenario, Best Music, Best Actor, ...

Nice! punk