• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2008
    The mixer/recordist has a big impact on the final sound. They choose how the orchestra is recorded, where to place the mics, what mics to use and then they have all these recordings to play around with when it comes to mixing. They can choose which instrument/s you can hear over others, they can effect the 'shape' of the sound, i.e. whether it sounds as though it's right in front of you, or coming from a huge church hall, they can make each instrument sound sharp and defined or they can muddy the recording. Endless possibilities are there for a mixer who will be in close communication with the composer/director to make sure they're getting the right feel, the right sound. I would imagine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Ah I see, so they're not just doing their work stuck in a stuffy booth. They're actually hands-on. He kinda is to the composer what the cinematographer is to the director then, no?
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Good analogy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Good analogy but weak joke then, eh? I see where I have to concentrate my energies today. biggrin
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I calls em like I sees em.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Behind every score, every musician, every orchestra, every album and every great composition even recorded, it's a sound engineer. Always remember that.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Behind every score, every musician, every orchestra, every album and every great composition even recorded, it's a sound engineer. Always remember that.

And behind them are mindless producers telling them what to do!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, they don't always pay attention you know. They might seem to follow instructions but most of the mindless producers know shit about sound engineering, it's the engineer who's on the console and who's going to setup the mics in techniques, numbers and distances he wants them at.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Well, they don't always pay attention you know. They might seem to follow instructions but most of the mindless producers know shit about sound engineering, it's the engineer who's on the console and who's going to setup the mics in techniques, numbers and distances he wants them at.

I know... it was a joke... sort of.

BTW, the composer have a lot more input into the sound, set up and mix then you give them credit for.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorviolaone
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I know... it was a joke... sort of.

BTW, the composer have a lot more input into the sound, set up and mix then you give them credit for.

-Erik-

This is true...and the amount of detail that goes on to get exactly the right sound...it's not just in the mix. It's also to do with the way it's played. One cue can get played 10 diferrent ways to get the right sound.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2008
    Erik Woods wrote
    There's plenty more... but I'm sorry to say Demonstar, the LOTR trilogy recordings could have been MUCH better! I understand what they were trying to pull off but the cavernous recording doesn't help the music.

Yeah it could've been, especially for FoTR and TTT. But Return of The King sounds amazing to me!