• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2008
    Thor wrote
    I don't generally like horror scores on CD (although it's interesting to analyze them in the film!) unless it's in a particular mode I call "delicious darkness", i.e. a more romantic approach to the subject matter - such as Chris Young's HELLRAISER or much of Marco Beltrami's stuff.

THAT SAID....the scariest soundtrack CD and probably also horror score that I know of is:

PET SEMETARY!

I'm a Goldenthal completist, but I don't think I've been able to play through that more than 2-3 times. It just freaks me out!

Shame it was for a pile o' shite film! Pet Semetary is King's scariest book, I'd like to see it done properly one day. Alien 3 is scarier score but that's just my opinion.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Timmer wrote
    Shame it was for a pile o' shite film! Pet Semetary is King's scariest book, I'd like to see it done properly one day. Alien 3 is scarier score but that's just my opinion.

Alien3 has some truly shit-my-pants scary moments... shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

....Almost as much as Mr. Baseball.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    HeeroJF wrote
    Timmer wrote

Alien3 has some truly shit-my-pants scary moments... shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

....Almost as much as Mr. Baseball.

biggrin beer

On a serious note with Goldsmith, aside from the obvious ALIEN I think The Mephisto Waltz is right up there with the scary scores.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    While all this is true, and parts of The Haunting are truly... well... haunting, I think on the whole Mr. Goldsmith is just too damn irresistible to effectively be scary. He's always so accessible and melodic and fun... and thus truly scary, disturbing, chaotic music from him is a rarity.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    HeeroJF wrote
    While all this is true, and parts of The Haunting are truly... well... haunting, I think on the whole Mr. Goldsmith is just too damn irresistible to effectively be scary. He's always so accessible and melodic and fun... and thus truly scary, disturbing, chaotic music from him is a rarity.

True, at least to many of us who understand and love his music so much. There isn't one Goldsmith score that's ever scared me, I just enjoy listening to his textures so much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Exactly. And in terms of inaccessability, I think only Freud would quality.

That stuff is tough to love...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    HeeroJF wrote
    Exactly. And in terms of inaccessability, I think only Freud would quality.

That stuff is tough to love...

The only thing that puts me off about Freud is the sound quality, I'd probably enjoy it a lot more if it were re-recorded but then, it's not very high on my personal agenda of JG scores I'd like to hear redone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNunoM
    How about "Temple of Doom" from Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom.
    That must be one of the most scary tracks not for a horror/terror movie.

And i agree with timmer about The Mephisto Waltz.
    I heard that score during the past halloween. Pretty disturbing stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    NunoM wrote
    How about "Temple of Doom" from Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom.
    That must be one of the most scary tracks not for a horror/terror movie.

And i agree with timmer about The Mephisto Waltz.
    I heard that score during the past halloween. Pretty disturbing stuff.

Agreed!!!

Someone shoot that wailing chick at the end of the track! She scares the bejeezus out of me! Shooot her! Shoot her in her head!!!! cry
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    I don't generally like horror scores on CD (although it's interesting to analyze them in the film!) unless it's in a particular mode I call "delicious darkness", i.e. a more romantic approach to the subject matter - such as Chris Young's HELLRAISER or much of Marco Beltrami's stuff.

THAT SAID....the scariest soundtrack CD and probably also horror score that I know of is:

PET SEMETARY!

I'm a Goldenthal completist, but I don't think I've been able to play through that more than 2-3 times. It just freaks me out!

I actually think Pet Sematary functions fairly well as a film, and - although this doesn't say very much - compared with many other King-adaptations it's positively excellent. No doubt the book is way scarier, but I still quite like the film. The sequel's a barrel of laughs, though - I particularly like Clancy Brown, who obviously realized, he signed on for a shitty job and took his acting way over the top. Funny stuff biggrin

Anyway, I haven't heard the music from Pet Sematary, but I take Thor's comment as a recommendation biggrin (I like scary music).

As for scary music I have heard, I think Steven's suggestion, the abduction music from CE3K, was a really good choice. From The Omen I have to mention the tracks where Goldsmith lets the choir whisper - that never ceases to freak me out!

Several tracks from Alien gives me the willies as well - good choice, too. Oh, and there's one track from Morricone's The Mission which I find deeply unsettling as well. I can't remember the track name, but I think it might be "Penance". Speaking of Morricone, there are several tracks on The Thing which are also chilling - if not outright scary.

Will try and think of more...
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Mogens wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

PET SEMETARY!

I actually think Pet Sematary functions fairly well as a film, and - although this doesn't say very much - compared with many other King-adaptations it's positively excellent. No doubt the book is way scarier, but I still quite like the film. The sequel's a barrel of laughs, though - I particularly like Clancy Brown, who obviously realized, he signed on for a shitty job and took his acting way over the top. Funny stuff biggrin

Anyway, I haven't heard the music from Pet Sematary, but I take Thor's comment as a recommendation biggrin (I like scary music).

As for scary music I have heard, I think Steven's suggestion, the abduction music from CE3K, was a really good choice. From The Omen I have to mention the tracks where Goldsmith lets the choir whisper - that never ceases to freak me out!

Several tracks from Alien gives me the willies as well - good choice, too. Oh, and there's one track from Morricone's The Mission which I find deeply unsettling as well. I can't remember the track name, but I think it might be "Penance". Speaking of Morricone, there are several tracks on The Thing which are also chilling - if not outright scary.

Mogens, If you read King's book Pet Semetary you'd realise just how poor the film is.

Good call on Morricone, there's a track on EXORCIST II : THE HERETIC which is creepy as hell, full of strange noises and eerie wailing vocals, I think it's called Little Afro Flemish Mass, a very unsettling track
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Aren't all STEVEN KING films circling around crap-status? Except for few of course, like the MIST which - i haven't seen - but has gotten a generally very high praise around and i gather it must have something to it. Not the biggest fan of the Steven King hordes of film adaptations I am in any case but there are some like Dreamcatcher which are absolute gutter imo and i heard from people who are fans that it's one of the average-to-good ones!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Aren't all STEVEN KING films circling around crap-status? Except for few of course, like the MIST which - i haven't seen - but has gotten a generally very high praise around and i gather it must have something to it. Not the biggest fan of the Steven King hordes of film adaptations I am in any case but there are some like Dreamcatcher which are absolute gutter imo and i heard from people who are fans that it's one of the average-to-good ones!

Dreamcatcher is dreadful beyond belief! vomit

There are plenty of good to BRILLIANT King adaptations....

THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION
    THE GREEN MILE
    STAND BY ME
    CARRIE
    THE MIST
    SALEMS LOT
    ( the original, not the crappy remake with the excellent score by Gordon & Gerrard )

An awful lot of bad one's too..........
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    STEVEN KING

You're doing it wrong. It's KING STEVEN. wave

Yes, bad joke. Me, hypocrite. Eh what ya gonna do?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    STEVEN KING

You're doing it wrong. It's KING STEVEN. wave

Yes, bad joke. Me, hypocrite. Eh what ya gonna do?

Hah! in yer dreams biggrin wink

He got it doubly wrong in that case, it's STEPHEN King. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote

There are plenty of good to BRILLIANT King adaptations....

THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION
    THE GREEN MILE

Couldn't agree more on these, 2 of my all-time favorite movies. Forgot about those 2 but as i said, i am not a huge fan of his work, i missed this point.

STAND BY ME
    CARRIE
    THE MIST
    SALEMS LOT
    ( the original, not the crappy remake with the excellent score by Gordon & Gerrard )

An awful lot of bad one's too..........

Haven't seen those yet.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Of the one's you've not seen D, I'd seriously recommend STAND BY ME, one of THE greatest "coming of age" movies ever, forget the rest of the junk about and see it, it's a truly emotionally poignant and heartfelt film with a true feel good factor, quite rightly regarded as a classic and with a superb cast.

Do yourself a favour! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You're turning into ME! Too many adjectives! But i guess it's that good, eh? wink beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    You're turning into ME! Too many adjectives! But i guess it's that good, eh? wink beer

shame wink

As for the film? Yes! It really is THAT good!!!
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    Timmer wrote
    Mogens wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

PET SEMETARY!

Mogens, If you read King's book Pet Semetary you'd realise just how poor the film is.

Good call on Morricone, there's a track on EXORCIST II : THE HERETIC which is creepy as hell, full of strange noises and eerie wailing vocals, I think it's called Little Afro Flemish Mass, a very unsettling track

Actually I did read Pet Sematary (my bad for not making that clear), and I still stand by my opinion on the film. I'm a bit puzzled that you think it's *that* bad - which elements do you find particularly bad (or is it just the whole thing?).

I never heard The Heretic, but I'm intrigued now smile
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The key to scary music in my minority opinion is how does it translate to audio without any visual help. I still go back to Psycho. Classical the nod goes to the Night on Bald Mountain.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Mogens wrote

Still a relatively recent addition in my own collection... so I'll have to pay more attention to it as well. But I remember quite liking it upon first few listens.

It's true, Morricone can do it. Some of his "Gallio" scores are bone-chilling.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Mogens wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Mogens wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

PET SEMETARY!

Actually I did read Pet Sematary (my bad for not making that clear), and I still stand by my opinion on the film. I'm a bit puzzled that you think it's *that* bad - which elements do you find particularly bad (or is it just the whole thing?).

I didn't like the whole thing, just badly made IMO.

As for THE HERETIC I'd say it's well worthwhile, 'Reagan's Theme' alone is worth the price of the album which is still easily available I believe?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2009
    HeeroJF wrote
    Mogens wrote

Still a relatively recent addition in my own collection... so I'll have to pay more attention to it as well. But I remember quite liking it upon first few listens.

What did you think? I love that album.
  1. Not scores "Scare" me, but I always thought -- since I heard it -- the darkest score I have heard was Shirley Walker's "Final Destination (1)".

And there is a particularly wonderful EVIL cue in "Something Wicked This Way Comes", which is not on the Intrada CD.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2009 edited
    Seriously. Just kill it.

This one too!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2009

? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Creepy photobombers, scare the shit out of me. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Gotcha biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2009
    Never thought of this as such......freezing