• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2008
    Thor wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    After learning at www.lionking.org that there are some supposed "background music" tracks on the OST, I got the Lion King OST on cassette for the first time, in 2003 (in 9th grade), after looking for it for a hell lot of time. Ah, that fateful day when I first listened to This Land!! spin

Then came Aladdin, A Bug's Life, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and The Beast, Toy Story 2 and Gladiator, which my cousin got from a friend of his. Then I discovered John Williams via Jurassic Park, JNH via Dinosaur, Jerry Goldsmith via Mulan, Michael Giacchino via The Incredibles and so on it went, making me the film music nut I am today!! biggrin punk

I'm a bit older than you, but I also discovered Williams through JURASSIC PARK. Or rather, that is the score that made me a TRUE fan. I had only passing knowledge of his music before that (STAR WARS and such). JURASSIC PARK I couldn't remove from my CD player!

The only difference, I guess, is that I became a fan of it AT THE TIME OF RELEASE, while you probably came to it much later. Heck, before I purchased it on CD, I had it as a CASSETTE COPY. Cassettes were probably passé before you were born! wink

Kids! rolleyes
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Elephant Graveyard? It's released as Hyenas on some pressings of the score (namely the German release and the Polish one)
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2008 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Elephant Graveyard? It's released as Hyenas on some pressings of the score (namely the German release and the Polish one)

"Hyenas" track is also on Japanese dubbed version, but what I bought was the Japanese release of English version. (I don't want to hear the bad singing of Japanese Simba boy on the CD tongue )
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2008
    Miya wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Ah, that fateful day when I first listened to This Land!! spin

Same here beer

I also remember that I was disappointed when I noticed my favorite parts of the score "Elephant Graveyard" and "Simba's Return" were not on the album... crazy

Yeah. But I was most furious the Stampede and King of Pride Rock tracks were butchered badly and missing out amazing highlights!!
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2008 edited
    Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade on LP in the spring of 1990. Followed closely by Back to the Future Part III, Music from Twin Peaks - both also on LP - and perhaps a couple of other LP's, I can't remember right now.

Around that time I got my first CD-player, though, and after a while the ball got rolling. I replaced the LP-versions of both Last Crusade and Twin Peaks with CD's, and in 1992 (or it might have been the year after) I bought Fire Walk With Me. Yeah, I was into Twin Peaks (and still am for that matter - and I *do* like the music still).

I picked up this and that over the following years, The Last of the Mohicans being one I remember being particularly happy to have found. That would probably have been 1994 or 1995.

Things didn't seriously start to roll before I moved to Ã…rhus and started my university studies, since that coincided with me getting daily access to the web in the uni computer room (that was before everybody was online). Fairly soon I got internet access from home, though.

Getting access to the internet meant, for instance, that I now finally knew how John Williams looked like. Remember, I'm from Denmark, and unless you were from one of the big cities (well.. Copenhagen really), film music was seriously underground stuff, and info on film scores, including the composers, was hard to get.

Well, as I said the web got things rolling. First I started frequenting Filmtracks, then other review sites, and finally, one day, I happened upon a small place - a cozy place with a warm fire and nice people to make you feel welcome after a long day - called Scorereviews..

After that my appreciation of film music took on a completely different hue - deepened, solidified. But that's a tale for another day.

In the meantime, before that happened, I'd picked up a number of scores over the years - we're talking late 90's, early 2000's here, and during that era I was primarily into Williams and Horner, but I had a smattering of Morricone's as well (fondly remember finding The Untouchables, which I'd been wanting for years) and, of course, Hans Zimmer. Also Basil Poledouris - I think the first Poledouris I got was Starship Troopers back in 1997 when the film premiered.

I can't honestly say I know how large my collection was at the turn of the millennium, but I know for damn sure that most of it has been added after.

I've been buying less these past couple of years, mostly due to economic issues, but I keep up to date, not the least through Maintitles and, before that, Scorereviews.

That's basically my story. As I said It started with Indy in 1990, and generally I credit John Williams for getting me into film music in the first place. I'd wanted the Indy-theme (I wasn't that much aware of the remaining score at that time) since I'd first seen Raiders in the early 80's. When I found Last Crusade in that music store on a trip with my school, I was both in heaven and in hell. In heaven for having found the LP, in hell because it'd be another week before I got home again and could listen to it...

But I can't, for the love of God, remember which was the first non-score CD I actually bought. The first non-score LP I bought was undoubtedly The Doors (their self-titled debut from 1967). The first CD might have been a boxed set of Mike Oldfield's first three records, Tubular Bells, Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn.
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2008
    Miya wrote
    My first soundtrack was Hisaishi's My Neighbor Totoro. I was 5 or 6 years old.

I had forgotten about this... before Totoro, I had a soundtrack of an ANPANMAN feature film on cassette! biggrin There were both songs and score tracks on it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anpanman

I gave it to my younger cousin long time ago... should I take it back and add to my collection? biggrin
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2008
    Wow, I feel silly for not having heard of this. The little dude in the cape looks vaguely familiar, but no more than that. Can you perhaps seek it out again as a CD and let your cousin keep the tape?

I wanna ride that metro! ^.^
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2008
    Fun topic. My first soundtrack, I guess, was the soundtrack for "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles", which I bought on cassette in 1990/91. But it was primeraly songs (only two score tracks by John Du Prez), so that doesn't count smile

My first real score cd was "Dick Tracy" by Danny Elfman. Before watching Batman in 1989, I wasn't even aware of something called filmmusic (to be fair, I was just 12 at that time). So when I, about 5 or 6 years later, saw the Dick Tracy cd in a store on sale, I just had to buy it. I remember everybody I knew thought I was weird because I listened to stuff like that, but I didn't care... it was the coolest music I had ever heard! punk

Anyway, 350+ cd's later, Elfman is still one of my favorite composers, and if it wasn't for his music, I probably wouldn't listen to film scores. So thank you, Danny... smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2008 edited
    Hey Artworks, we're the same age, I think! You're born in '77 too?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2008
    Actually I'm a year older... must have been 13 when I watched Batman smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2008
    And to think I was 30 already in 77, yikes
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2008
    Anyone care to guess my first reel to reel pre-recorded purchase. I didn't buy many
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2008 edited
    sdtom wrote
    Anyone care to guess my first reel to reel pre-recorded purchase. I didn't buy many

Eddison's recording of "Mary Had A Little Lamb"? wink

Sorry, couldn't resist - from one old-timer to another!

A shot in the dark this...Friedhofer's The Best Years of Our Lives?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn