• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2008
    What about shifting gears a bit and include the first piece of music you ever bought. Mine still was Peter Gunn but I also bought The Hamlet Fantasy Overture at the same time.
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2008
    sdtom wrote
    What about shifting gears a bit and include the first piece of music you ever bought. Mine still was Peter Gunn but I also bought The Hamlet Fantasy Overture at the same time.

The VERY FIRST piece of music I ever bought was film music related, it was JOHN BARRY's THE PERSUADERS on a 45rpm single n 1971, the show starring Roger Moore & Tony Curtis was very big at that time.

However I was an avid music fan way before that playing my older brother and sister's records ( Beatles, Stones, The Who, Pink Floyd etc etc ), three of my very favourite singles was David Bowie's 'Space Oddity', Eumir Deodato's seriously jazzed up 'Theme to 2001' and Hugo Montenegro's 'The Good, The Bad and the Ugly'.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. I can't say I remember what the first bought score was, but as it's the only LP I have that's soundtrack-related (and LP's are like, very old man tongue ) it might have been 1989, Back to the Future Part II. Man it was cool to own that music, but honestly there was a slight bit of disappointment because I hoped it would also feature the more grand themes from Part I, how was I to know that a sequel doesn't necessarily has the same music as the original. I'm still waiting for that release, almost twenty years later.

And when I first saw Aliens, which was about early '90s, and the music started working on a subconscious level, and I actually discovered that some dude writes music for film for a living I got seriously into the subject matter. Buying that one cemented my Horner-fanboyism in stone.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    89 is just plain ancient. What is 59?
    Thomas cheesy
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2008 edited
    My first one was a gift, The Star Wars Trilogy Anthology in 1994. The first one I BOUGHT was a cassette of the Batman Forever soundtrack (the songs,n ot the score). The first score CD I bought was "The Best of Star Trek" 30th anniversary compilation in 1996. The first full score was probably Babylon 5: In The Beginning in 1998.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    My first soundtrack was Hisaishi's My Neighbor Totoro. I was 5 or 6 years old. My brother and I had piano lessons, and played music from Ghibli films (they are widely used in piano classes in Japan). And of course we loved to watch Totoro over and over. So our parents gave us Totoro and later Kiki's Delivery Service and Laputa: The Castle In The Sky. We often played them in the car...

Several years later, I received a CD player for my 13th birthday (or maybe 14th, I don't remember exactly). I didn't have anything to play besides some classical albums and those 3 Hisaishi albums. I wanted something from Disney. I looked for The Lion King at Disney Store (at that time it was a great place for a Disney movie fan... ah good old days tongue ), but they didn't have it. But I found Lady And The Tramp instead. That's my first soundtrack I bought.

And then I found The Lion King at the largest CD store in my city... it was the fateful day. biggrin

After that I bought some Disney and Pixar soundtracks, and also began a quest for scores which caught my attention in the films - Homeward Bound, Fly Away Home, White Fang, Rescuers Down Under, etc. But later I found out that those were out of print or unreleased. sad (but Rescuers... was re-released a few years later)

But it's only four years ago when I started buying scores from wider range of movies. I still have a lot to listen for the rest of my life. smile
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I honestly cannot remember the very first piece of music I acyually purchased: I was lucky enough to live near the library so I only rented music for the longest time.

It may have been an LP of Return Of The Jedi, or maybe Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom, but that's really a guesstimate. (Reflecting on it, it may well have been Temple Of Doom, though, so that should have been 1984, I guess).

I clearly remember my very first CD purchase: the CD edition of Return Of The Jedi, and I also know exactly when I noticed film music was my thing: my dad had an old 45rpm' single from 1960 of three themes from Ben Hur. He used that music to underscore a slide show of my parents' honeymoon in Rome. He used to do slide shows a lot, with recorded commentary, music and sound effects and we loved it (this was well before the age of video recorders, or even day time TV in The Netherlands!).

I probably first consiously became aware of that music when I was 5 or so, and I discovered that single amongst his collection when I was 8 (at that age I was already way more into Meco's disco version of Star Wars my dad had bought, but historically Rozsa got in there first!)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkck
    The first piece of music I can remember buying was Meco's Star Wars on 45. Oooh...disco. Star Wars also introduced me to MAD magazine, comic books, trading cards, action figures and scrap-booking (I still have that scrapbook). It was basically my introduction to pop culture.
  2. Timmer wrote
    ...I'm sure I had a conversation with Alan ( Falkirkbairn ) about Geoff Love and His Orchestra and his many Film Theme albums!?

This was certainly one of my earliest purchases, but I can't remember when it was bought. There were some great themes on this - Jaws, The Towering Inferno (song rather than theme), Psycho, The Eiger Sanction, Earthquake, Airport '75, Three Days of The Condor, Death Wish, etc. A great starter selection.

I believe that the first soundtrack that I bought was Star Wars - firstly on cassette and then the 2-LP set. And this release was my first exposure to proper liner notes! Unfortunately, I had to throw out this (along with the liner notes and the poster) because of water/mould damage.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. markck wrote
    The first piece of music I can remember buying was Meco's Star Wars on 45...

I think that I bought this "version" before the John Williams/LSO version.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    markck wrote
    The first piece of music I can remember buying was Meco's Star Wars on 45...

I think that I bought this "version" before the John Williams/LSO version.

bought that and the JW Star Wars 45 rpm single simltaneously. I think the 2 lp came out about a week later.....at least where I live anyway.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Incidentally the very first single I ever bought was The Timelords' (secretly KLF) Doctorin' The Tardis.
    Followed shortly by Alice Cooper's Poison

As one can see, I've always been the epitome of refined taste.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    Cocoon!

mc
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2008 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Incidentally the very first single I ever bought was The Timelords' (secretly KLF) Doctorin' The Tardis.

Loved that "Timelords" track cool

Which sampled cough ahem cough......gary glitter slant

ps. a very early single I bought was Alice Cooper's Elected cool ....and still a corking track! punk
  4. Martijn wrote

We have similar sublime taste: I bought the other single from AC's "Trash" way back, "Bed of Nails" cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2008
    As far as the first single is concerned my dad got me "Call of the Faraway Hills", from Shane which I believe was performed by Paul Weston. Keep in mind I was only a few years old so I could be wrong. To my knowledge no OST material has ever been released from this film.
    Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthorAlthazan
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2008
    Zbigniew Preisner - La Double Vie De Véronique smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2008
    And I never bought a 78 new or an Edison Cylinder contrary to what seem on the board might think
    cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    After learning at www.lionking.org that there are some supposed "background music" tracks on the OST, I got the Lion King OST on cassette for the first time, in 2003 (in 9th grade), after looking for it for a hell lot of time. Ah, that fateful day when I first listened to This Land!! spin

Then came Aladdin, A Bug's Life, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and The Beast, Toy Story 2 and Gladiator, which my cousin got from a friend of his. Then I discovered John Williams via Jurassic Park, JNH via Dinosaur, Jerry Goldsmith via Mulan, Michael Giacchino via The Incredibles and so on it went, making me the film music nut I am today!! biggrin punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Here's a list of all the first score albums I bought from each of my favourite composers (although one very important newcomer to my list of favourite composers is missing since I haven't technically bought anything by that composer yet shame ):

Jerry Goldsmith: Star Trek: First Contact
    John Williams: Star Wars: The Phantom Menace
    James Horner: Braveheart & The Perfect Storm (The Perfect Storm was the first Horner score I bought, Braveheart was my Mum's)
    David Arnold: Stargate & Independence Day (bought together if I remember correctly)
    Thomas Newman: The Shawshank Redemption
    Hans Zimmer: Gladiator
    Alan Silvestri: Back To The Future Pt. III or The Mummy Returns... I can't remember
    James Newton Howard: Treasure Planet
    Bruce Broughton: Lost In Space
    Danny Elfman: Batman & Edward Scissorhands
    Elliot Goldenthal: Final Fantasy
    Michael Giacchino: The Incredibles
    John Powell: Chicken Run

Apart from The Mummy Returns and Treasure Planet (which I still both love), they're all Top 20 material to this day. The first ones never leave you... well, in the world of soundtracks at least. cry
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    sdtom wrote
    And I never bought a 78 new or an Edison Cylinder contrary to what seem on the board might think
    cheesy

Not a bit of it, Tom.
    (We all thought you'd just bang some animal-skinned drums in the caves to drive the dark away and entertain your tribe wink )
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Here's a list of all the first score albums I bought from each of my favourite composers

GAH, you're young. vomit

(Nothing against your excellent choices there. I just can't stand the fact that you're young)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2008 edited
    My score-fanaticism really hit the ground running when I bought Gladiator I think? I'd always been into film music because we had the odd score album or compilation lying around. First Contact and Space: Above & Beyond II are the ones I remember listening to a lot when I were a wee lad.

Edit; I think it started with The Phantom Menace now I think about it. That's far more appropriate! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's likely: Gladiator was 2000, Phantom Menace 1999.
  5. For sure it was the TV that I think first got me listening out for the music when I was watching something. Definitely, TV themes as well as the music that was heard from films shown on the TV.

So, it would be things like The Persuaders, Space: 1999, UFO, Starsky and Hutch, The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe, The Water Margin, The Flashing Blade, Hawaii 5-0, Cannon, The Rockford Files...the list is probably endless.

There are so many potential great TV releases that COULD happen. I wonder if they ever will?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Devil's Advocate, JAMES NEWTON HOWARD, one of my top favorites.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2008 edited
    DemonStar wrote
    After learning at www.lionking.org that there are some supposed "background music" tracks on the OST, I got the Lion King OST on cassette for the first time, in 2003 (in 9th grade), after looking for it for a hell lot of time. Ah, that fateful day when I first listened to This Land!! spin

Then came Aladdin, A Bug's Life, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and The Beast, Toy Story 2 and Gladiator, which my cousin got from a friend of his. Then I discovered John Williams via Jurassic Park, JNH via Dinosaur, Jerry Goldsmith via Mulan, Michael Giacchino via The Incredibles and so on it went, making me the film music nut I am today!! biggrin punk

I'm a bit older than you, but I also discovered Williams through JURASSIC PARK. Or rather, that is the score that made me a TRUE fan. I had only passing knowledge of his music before that (STAR WARS and such). JURASSIC PARK I couldn't remove from my CD player!

The only difference, I guess, is that I became a fan of it AT THE TIME OF RELEASE, while you probably came to it much later. Heck, before I purchased it on CD, I had it as a CASSETTE COPY. Cassettes were probably passé before you were born! wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2008
    In black 'n' white too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2008 edited
    Thor wrote
    DemonStar wrote

I'm a bit older than you, but I also discovered Williams through JURASSIC PARK. Or rather, that is the score that made me a TRUE fan. I had only passing knowledge of his music before that (STAR WARS and such). JURASSIC PARK I couldn't remove from my CD player!

The only difference, I guess, is that I became a fan of it AT THE TIME OF RELEASE, while you probably came to it much later. Heck, before I purchased it on CD, I had it as a CASSETTE COPY. Cassettes were probably passé before you were born! wink

Hehe, I got it in 2003 or 2004 I think. A friend of mine got the MP3 tracks from a digital music online store. About 10 years after its release! tongue I was 14 then smile

Actually cassettes are very much in use out here even now!! tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2008
    DemonStar wrote
    Ah, that fateful day when I first listened to This Land!! spin

Same here beer

I also remember that I was disappointed when I noticed my favorite parts of the score "Elephant Graveyard" and "Simba's Return" were not on the album... crazy
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp