• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2008
    No, I am not opening the door to the most generic thread we could possibly have here (that goes to locats, right?); I'm talking about when the score or thematic material is actually used diagetically (in the movie) rather than just as underscore.

For example, at one point in The Incredibles, Bob Parr/Mr. Incredible actually hums the main theme.

There have got to be more that I know of that are just not springing to mind...

...I declare the floor open!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2008 edited
    Close Encounters of the Third Kind! ta la la la laaaa

And The Holiday immediately popped in my head... Jack Black plays a film composer biggrin , and he "writes" themes for other characters in the movie (Iris's theme and Auther's theme, which were not used in Zimmer's underscore until Black "wrote" them... Zimmer said "it's like russian dolls")
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiH4HPdbhmc

(I think I understood your idea of this thread, but please tell me what does "diagetically" mean? It's not in my dictionary dizzy )
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Diagetic = quite literally in the movie - part of a scene - you see the stereo/TV/character it's coming from. Usually songs being played on a radio etc.

Non-diagetic = music that's there but not part of a scene. If you were a character in the movie you would not hear it. Basically 99% of the scores we listen to.

What I'm wondering is how many movies take part of the score and inject it IN to the movie (i.e when characters can hear it, sing it etc.)

Another example would be Bolt - the hamster sings Bolt's TV show theme!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Actually, it's DiEgetic, not diAgetic. It hails from the Greek word diegesis, which means "source".

There are quite a few examples of characters whistling or humming the main theme of the score in the film itself, e.g. Jack Nicholson in WITCHES OF EASTWICK.

If I remember correctly, Williams' score for THE LONG GOODBYE works in both ways. It's a mono-thematic score, and it's both used diegetically and non-diegetically throughout.

Another such transition is in KILL BILL, when Daryl Hannah's character first whistles "Twisted Nerve" as she walks down the hospital corridor, but then Herrmann's full score takes over on the non-diegetic side.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Ant's spelling troubles kick in again!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A Janitor whistles the theme to Goldfinger in On Her Majesty's Secret Service.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    I don't know if it counts, cause it's not quite the music, but the sound of the typewriter is part of the music in Atonement just like the sound of Robbie's mother hitting the truck of the police car when they take Robbie away. And the soldiers' song is part of the score in Elegy for Dunkirk, also from Atonement.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Timmer wrote

Timmer's got it! cheesy wink

These are all essentially little musical easter eggs. Another one is Matthew Fox's character in Lost plays his theme on a piano at one point. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkck
    Timmer wrote

And Vijay plays the Bond Theme in Octopussy. (And it is just as cheesy as it sounds.) Also, they play the CE3K theme as the entry code in Moonraker. (Which is also just as cheesy as it sounds.) A pigeon also does a double-take in that movie, which has nothing whatsoever to do with this, but it is so cheesy that Moonraker should be disowned as a Bond film. (Not to get OT, but for fun, check out the Agony Booth review of Moonraker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Anthony wrote
    Diagetic = quite literally in the movie - part of a scene - you see the stereo/TV/character it's coming from. Usually songs being played on a radio etc.

Non-diagetic = music that's there but not part of a scene. If you were a character in the movie you would not hear it. Basically 99% of the scores we listen to.

Thanks for a language lesson! biggrin Diegetic is neither on my dictionaries anyway... at maintitles I've learned some words that are not in dictionaries. (scoregasm for example? wink )
  1. Thor, how did Plato define it? Diegetic and mimetic?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    In Shrek, Princess Fiona sings her own theme (Fairytale theme) with a little bird. And then... you know the result. biggrin It's on the album.

Also in Corpse Bride, Victor plays his theme on piano, and later he and the corpse bride play a duet. Those are also on the album (with a bit of dialogues).
  2. Should we mention Hoist the Colours? biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    These are all essentially little musical easter eggs. Another one is Matthew Fox's character in Lost plays his theme on a piano at one point. cool

Really? Do you remember in which episode that happens?
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Thor, how did Plato define it? Diegetic and mimetic?

Yes, but that dichotomy does not really correspond to the difference between diegetic and non-diegetic we use today. For him, this was the difference between SHOW (diegetic) and TELL (mimetic), the latter being an IMITATION or REPRESENTATION of life.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Marselus wrote
    Anthony wrote

Really? Do you remember in which episode that happens?

The Man From Tallahassee when Kate breaks into Jack's house at the barracks. It's quite an odd version of Jack's theme though. You can pick it out, but it sounds like it's mixed with Ocean's Apart.

Also, minutes later you have the MOH U-boat theme appear when Locke goes down into the submarine!
  3. David Raksin's Laura theme is heard everywhere in the movie. In a café/restaurant, on the radio, etc.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    David Raksin's Laura theme is heard everywhere in the movie. In a café/restaurant, on the radio, etc.

A jazzy version of The Ipcress File plays on a radio in the film.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    A clever one is Jim Carrey singing the action music and leading the orchestra into it during the satellite scene. smile

Happens at 5:45
    http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=aXDesQcat … re=related wink
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Oh, and during the star trek parody scene during the fight.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=g82yZXXpxY8
    • CommentAuthorRanietz
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2008 edited
    This is from Family Guy when they do a parody of Star Wars. http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=EH5oRJKTWuc. I don't know if this was just posted on this forum but it's funny so it's worth repeating.

Also in S.W.A.T the main characters hum/sing the main theme from the S.W.A.T TV show.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2008 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Should we mention Hoist the Colours? biggrin

Yes! punk

Hogwarts students sing Double Trouble (with frogs biggrin ) in Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban.

And don't forget Mr. Tumnus's A Narnia Lullaby in The Chronicles Of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe!
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2008
    Touch of Evil (Henry Mancini) was originally composed music, but all used diegetically.
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    What about M and Peter Lorre whistling. quite famous
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkck
    The theme to Our Man Flint is played in 97 different styles ad nauseum throughout most of the two movies as dance music, background music, radio music, band music and quite possibly in Morse Code.

"If you don't mind, sir, I prefer to use my own personal code."
    "But I would rather you use the government code."
    "I already know mine. It's a mathematical progression, 40-26-36. It's based on..."
    "I can imagine what it's based on."
    (Most likely the theme to Our Man Flint.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2008
    The opening theme song from Death Note plays as various characters' cellphone ring tone throughout the series.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
  4. Mogens wrote
    Touch of Evil (Henry Mancini) was originally composed music, but all used diegetically.

Good one!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2008
    for sure
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2008 edited
    In Get Smart, there's a scene where Mawell's entering the passkey to open an entrance door, and the emitting key tones make up the Get Smart theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2008
    In Red Cliff, the main theme is played on the flute by a boy, while everyone listens to melody, and one of the main character is visualizing the landscape that the music is describing