• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorGregg Nestor
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2008 edited
    UNIQUE MIKLÓS RÓZSA GUITAR RECORDING
    TO BE RELEASED IN NOVEMBER,2008

features: Sonata for Guitar (1986) and Kaleidoscope (2 guitars)

BUYSOUNDTRAX Records proudly presents THE MIKLÓS RÓZSA COLLECTION: MUSIC FOR GUITAR. The album features music composed for motion pictures by Miklós Rózsa, arranged for guitar by Gregg Nestor, performed by Gregg Nestor, Raymond Burley and William Kanengiser, augmented by Francisco Castillo (Oboe) and Carole Kleister-Castillo (Violin).

THE MIKLÓS RÓZSA COLLECTION: MUSIC FOR GUITAR presents the music of Miklós Rózsa in an entirely new light, adapting the pieces for two guitars, in arrangements based faithfully on the composer’s original scores by guitarist Gregg Nestor. THE MIKLÓS RÓZSA COLLECTION: MUSIC FOR GUITAR contains selections from EL CID, THAT HAMILTON WOMAN, YOUNG BESS, MADAME BOVARY, A WOMAN’S VENGEANCE, PROVIDENCE, BLOOD ON THE SUN, GREEN FIRE, MOONFLEET, TIP ON A DEAD JOCKEY, LYDIA and CRISIS. In addition to selections from Rózsa’s large filmography, this release contains two classical works, Kaleidoscope, Op. 19c, composed for his children in 1946 and his Sonata For Guitar, Op. 42, composed in 1986.

The link to the CD is as follows:

http://buysoundtrax.stores.yahoo.net/mirocomuforg.html

(paste that into your search engine to take you to the site - there you will also find several audio samples to listen to and enjoy)

In the last chapter of his autobiography, Rózsa offers this comment on his music--

I do write music for people, not for computers... I believe in music as a form of communication; for me it is more an expression of emotion than an intellectual or cerebral crossword puzzle...I am a traditionalist, but I believe tradition can be so recreated as to express the artist's own epoch while preserving its relationship with the past...I have tried always in my own work to express human feelings and assert human values, and to do this I have never felt the slightest need to move outside the orbit of the tonal system. Tonality means line; line means melody; melody means song; and song, especially folk song, is the essence of music, because it is the natural, spontaneous and primordial expression of human emotion.

Attached is a pdf or two detailing the booklet and artwork from the CD recording!

Guitarist Gregg Nestor's extensive publishing output includes "12 Folksongs-Copland,Britten,Seiber"-Voice and Guitar (Boosey and Hawkes Publishers, #6553)' Sonata for Flute and Guitar (Poulenc-J&W Chester Music,CH55653);By George-George Gershwin solo guitar arr. (Warner Bros. Music, GF0323); Leroy Anderson Suite-solo guitar (Belwin Mills Music); Guitar Cameos (EMI Music;London)'Casablanca' Suite (Warner Bros. Music, GF0297; Sonata for Guitar, Op. 42-Miklós Rózsa-dedicated to Gregg Nestor (Associated Music-G.Schirmer-HL50480350) Over 16,000 pages of arrangements for guitar solo, duo, chamber ensemble,voice and guitar,guitar and orchestra exist.
    For further information or to ask about score and separate parts availability for performance please contact:

GREGG NESTOR
    gmn002@aol.com
    818-890-6106
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2008
    Already pre-ordered it, Gregg, and looking forward to it!
    punk
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Thankyou Martijn - enjoy the recording!

GREGG NESTOR
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I spoke to Gregg on the phone last night and we had a pleasant conversation. A small world it is as I serviced his father for many years in the photo business when I was working for Nelson Photo. He is sending me a review copy for the various sites
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    sdtom wrote
    I spoke to Gregg on the phone last night and we had a pleasant conversation. A small world it is as I serviced his father for many years in the photo business when I was working for Nelson Photo. He is sending me a review copy for the various sites
    Thomas

Not bad.
    You're making quite the name for yourself, Tom! smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Sonata for Guitar, Op. 42-Miklós Rózsa-dedicated to Gregg Nestor

shocked

Whoah...
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm trying fireworks
  2. How old is Gregg Nestor?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. Pawel:
    I was born in 1955, so that makes me in the 53-54 yrs old area.

GREGG NESTOR
  4. You're in the age of my mom smile

Anyway, I wondered about your age since you had a concert dedicated to you. Could you expand about your meetings with the composer?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2008
    what concert? I'm confused confused
  5. Pawel:
    You must be referring to the creation of the Guitar Sonata. I posted this info at another site a couple o weks ago, but I will be happy to post it here.

The story of how the Guitar Sonata came to be is a case of circumstance.

Dr. Rozsa had a great long time friend named Manuel Compinsky - a violinist who was first shown the violin concerto to make sure it was feasible before presenting it to Heifetz. I was in a coffee shop one day in Studio City(by Universal Studios) - called "Twains" - and I noticed a man reading a book on violin technique. I introduced myself to Manuel. It turned out he had made an arrangement of a "Fantasy on Fiddler On the Roof" for violin and piano and needed to have the music engraved. After working on this project with him, he mentioned that a close friend of his was preparing a solo Violin Sonata and had asked him if he knew of someone to engrave it out.

Manuel took me up to meet Miklós Rózsa. We began a month - 1 1/2 month period of revising the solo violin sonata until it was finished to his satisfaction. He mentioned that his friend Christopher Palmer was interested in having him write a Harp Sonata. Seizing upon this "opening" I casually mentioned about the wonderful works that his dear friend, Mario Castelnuovo-Tedesco had written for Segovia over the years, in particular a "Sonata, Omaggio a Boccherini". Dr. Rozsa asked how long about was the Sonata and I said about 16 minutes.

3 weeks later I received a telephone called with that distinctive commanding voice at the other end..." Well,... I've finished the first movement.... I don't know how gooooood it isss.....". And so began this great experience of developing the Guitar Sonata. I initially notated the music in black and then wrote out additions or technical alterations in red. Together we also shortened the 1st mvmt by some 90 measures into a very compact tight thing - every measure was important and nothing was "padded"

(The end result was that Christopher Palmer adapted two mvmts from "Bagatelles" and 2 mvmts from "Kaleidoscope" for a Harp "Sonata"). While I am sorry that the Harp did not receive the gift of a Sonata, I was glad that I altered the rudder of the ship in this case.

I still remember the day I finally played it for Dr. Rózsa and his intensity to details. At the end of the last movement, which is a sort of virtuosic tour de force with rhythmic chords and harplike arpeggiations, he took in such a notable gasp of surprise and delight and then, said ...verrrrry gooood..!

So the chance meeting in a coffee shop and the chance talking to a musician who happened to be reading a book on violin technique led to the creation of one of the great masterworks in guitar literature!

As I also mentioned, I recorded the Sonata twice due to some technical and interpretive suggestions. There also is a great and humorous story about that too - but for another time...

("Believe it or not"...)
  6. From Pawel:
    "You're in the age of my mom"

So Gnu, when can I meet your mom"?? (lol)

GREGG NESTOR wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Great story, Gregg! applause
    Thanks for sharing that with us.

Not to be maudling but in a geeky way it feels kinda wonderful that I'm now just two degrees removed from one the greatest icons in film music history, whose music I've loved above most others for decades. smile
  7. Yes, it does.

Gregg Nestor wrote
    From Pawel:
    "You're in the age of my mom"

So Gnu, when can I meet your mom"?? (lol)

GREGG NESTOR wave

Well, still happily married tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Now I get it. The sonata was dedicated to not a concert
  8. Yes, my bad.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2008
    the grammar nazi will be watching you closely cheesy
  9. It was a semantic not syntactic mistake biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    A pedantic mistake, rather. wink
  10. Hey, Morris didn't feature that in his typology!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    He was probably too busy making a fool of himself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    either way i will be evaluting every post you make from now on cheesy
  11. Martijn wrote
    He was probably too busy making a fool of himself.

lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    so far so good
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2008
    Woooo! My copy just came in, and it's a signed one as well. biggrin
    Looking forward to sampling it later tonight or tomorrow!
    punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2008
    what do you think?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2008 edited
    It's excellent! I love the two brief concertoes at the beginning of the CD, especially the 1986 Sonata. (I'd love to get me some sheet music of that. smile).

The film arrangements are beautiful, though I wouldn't have minded hearing a bit more El Cid (or even King Of Kings or Ben Hur...I've been trying out my own arrangement of Star Of Betlehem with my meagre skills, and I think it suits itself wonderfully to guitar.
    Anyway. My "'d rathers" are neither here not there.

I'm not certain the inclusion of the oboe and the violin on the El Cid love theme was needed: it's a piece that would have worked magnificently with three (or even two) guitars. But that's my personal preference: I *love* the sound of the acoustic guitar. love

What a lovely and worthwhile take on old favourites this CD offers.
    It's arrangements and visions like these that really refresh my listening experience, even with an old beloved master like Rozsa.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2008
    such a wonderful way to listen to Rozsa.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2009
    Interview with Gregg, as a guitarist and the Rozsa release
    http://blofeldscat.livejournal.com/76821.html

In fact, this website (can be reached also through www.dailyfilmmusic.tk) is a giant source of interesting film music review, articles and facts. Hadn't heard of this before.
    Kazoo