• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2008 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Mr. Twist Again

Martijn wrote
    That would be Chubby Checker.

Bill Haley is Mr. Alligator, or Mr. Around The Clock.

Suddenly i feel oddly dizzy and in urgent need of ma buckit.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2008
    I used to be annoyed by the ignorance of Average Joe regarding film music too, but not so much anymore. We all have our interests, and it's silly to assume that everyone should share even a bit of it. Of course, someone mistaking some symphonic film music piece for STAR WARS may not be entirely up-to-date on popular culture or films, but it's no big deal, really. There are hopefully many other things to talk about.

I think one of the reasons why film music fans are so defensive - even to the extent of agressive behaviour towards his fellow fan (see FSM) - is because they spend so much energy trying to validate their minority interest to "outsiders". But it also seems to be a sign of PRIDE for many. They're proud that to be part of an "exclusive club".
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2008 edited
    True, and true. Sad but true. But I think what upsets me the most about being a film music fan is that feeling that our interest just "doesn't belong" in any layer of popular culture. Especially when it comes to public displays. There will always be rock concerts and classical concerts. EVERYWHERE. Any Joe can get to one easily in any major city.

But the rock world flips its nose up at us saying: "Oh you weirdos like that instrumental stuff without any words. You're too fancy for us, go away."

While the classical world flips its nose down at us!!! They say: "Your music is but a pale imitation of real music. Yours is popcorn music, not serious."

That leaves us perpetually stuck in the middle. Making film music concerts a rarity like pope's poop. Here in my town, whenever the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra does a "night at the movies" program (which they've done ONCE in three years), they dress it down like a "bonus" feature in the season. A crowd-pleasing extra. Something not serious. Something just for fun. You can tell by the way the advertise it. If I owned a music hall, it would feature all film music, all the time. I would DRILL into people's head that film music is serious music. I'd play North by Northwest until they could stand no more.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2008
    HeeroJF wrote
    While the classical world flips its nose down at us!!! They say: "Your music is but a pale imitation of real music. Yours is popcorn music, not serious."

That's exactly what I want it to be though. Music that takes itself seriously is usually shit. wink
  1. Classical music takes itself seriously and it's not shit by any means.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2008
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Classical music takes itself seriously and it's not shit by any means.

beer
  2. beer beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    beer beer beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    vomit

(it felt like the right emoticon at the time)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. No that would have to be :booze: :booze: :booze: :booze: beer wine vomit :hangover: bunny
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    It used to drive me insane, I have to admit. These days it doesn't really concern me too much, it's just the same as me talking to a hardcore Jazz fan and not knowing the first thing about it. We're all ignorant.

Except if your name is Martijn. I hate that guy. slant

Hardcore Jazz? Ignorant? No i am not! The answer to all is countless hours of headache-inducing but extremely technical improvisations that walk on the lines between actual music and showing-off over steady-held contrabass and drums rhythm section, huge total running times and lots of snobbery. There ya go. beer

biggrin

Oh I dunno, I like quite a lot of Jazz. It's also a very wide definition that even many Jazz fans don't always agree on. But I've never been remotely interested in becoming a hardcore Jazz fan myself.

There's a lot of snobbery in pretty much any niche I think. But Jazz fans would appear to be swimming in it. Perhaps that's how they view us though? (If they knew about us. rolleyes )

No; i believe that film music fans are may more open to other, pure musical genres due to the varied nature of film music itself which in essence IS an amalgam of all those genres. Hardcore Jazz fans' ears are usually stupidly elitist and plugged against anything other than the description above. I once had a friend drummer who would refuse to listen to anything else than hardcore technical jazz on the improvisation side of things and his attitude towards everything else really annoyed me; hence the "i once had" biggrin

It just sounds like your view on jazz "fans" has been coloured by one bad apple D, I have a few friends who are seriously into jazz and I'm not exactly a slouch in that department myself, ALL of those friends are open to many other types of music including film scores.

Jazz is an incredibly wide spectrum of music and I don't pretend to know it all...I don't.

Reading on various boards over the years it strikes me that film score fans can be every bit as snobby and elitist as those they point the finger at. More open to different types of music my arse.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am for one. I listen to everything you can find out there, as long as it sounds good to my ears. And of course not all jazz fans are like that, but i DO know several of them who are close-minded as hell.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    Interesting topic. Just to shed some light on the topic, at my school the music section is divided into one department for jazz/popular music, and one department for classical music. The professors from both sides don't get along at all, and the students of the two departments barely socialize with one another. In the school cafeteria at lunch time you'll often see one table for the classical students and one for the jazz/popular music students. Its crazy, like two completely different species. Part of the reason for this must be that the two sides are competing for the same funding, with the popular music studies often on the winning side, while classical studies and projects are often neglected because the people who have the money are mostly pop musicians themselves and don't care for classical disiplines. They wouldn't even let me rent an oboist for my woodwind sextet, or offer reasonable bi-instrument studies for pianists (the only bi-instrument available is piano...), while the jazz pianists got a cd production funded, and numerous concert projects, and pretty much whatever they asked for.

The real heart of the matter is however the fact that people don't respect each other. The popular music students act arrogant towards us (I'm on the classical side) and don't support us by attending our concerts. They think our disiplines are "boring" and that all a classical musician can do is read notes from a piece of paper. However, if you ask one of those students to play a simple invention by Bach, they are instantly ridiculed and exposed to the fact that students of popular music can't play even the simplest of polyphonic music.

Likewise, classical students aren't impressed by the technical skills of the jazz students. They seem lazy and are often tecnically inferior (they can play fast alright, but lack good sound production and intonation). All their music follows the same simple form patterns, and while they think they are being more creative than us and "improvising", their art is often bounded by even more rules than ours, and often results in the dullest clichés and movie-score ripp-offs. For instance last year there was a cd-production by the keyboard students called "music for an imaginary movie". I never heard it, but my composition professor said it was embarrassing how they were constantly ripping off John Williams' romantic film scores.

We're basically acting snobbish towards each other all the time, and the mutual lack of respect (and insight) is getting worse every year as the number of new applicants every year is increasing for popular music studies, and decreasing for classical studies. The reason for this is partly due to the fact that many of the applicants on the popular music side aren't serious applicants. They are rock-band members and primadonnas with a dream to become famous rock stars or appear on those "Idol" talent shows. Classical applicants are averagely more dedicated and often have pure intentions with their studies - simply because fame and glamour isn't a motivation to get into the business. Of course this argument doesn't keep the popular music professors from using the applicant numbers as an argument to increase the number of students accepted every year - at the expense of the number of study places on the classical side! And all the non-musicians in the faculty meetings - who don't have a clue - are agreeing with their unfair and biased rhetoric!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2008
    Mark, thank you for the excellent reply. You are completely spot-on on a subject matter so wide, complex and on so many different levels. Part of what you so eloquently and in detail advanced on before, is what i am saying too; there's inherent snobbism in almost every professional musician out there but some of them overdo it; jazz musicians are one of these kinds; they tend to overlook and mock classical musicians as “boring” and “staff that belongs to the conservatoriums only” and crap like that while obviously they never set foot on a big classical music concert or an opera production, to witness first hand the musicianship and work that is demanded for such a production to work; plus the classical music audience is very demanding and extremely hard to please, something jazz players don’t face either. But to tell the truth, their attitude doesn't help the proud side of the classical musicians most of the times either, in order to overcome the jazzists snobbism and try to set the first step into setting once and for all such idiotic conflicts wink I am on the latter side btw, classical piano but working as a sound engineer, recordist and cameraman / video technician I can say I’ve worked with all kinds of musicians so far, from traditional world music ensembles to heavy metal bands and large-scale opera / classical music productions and have witnessed all the aspects of the pie.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    What a load of bollocks!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    confused
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    Yep, I of course admit I haven't been able to evade a certain degree of snobbism myself (I presume that was what you meant with the wink ?). At our Christmans gathering a few weeks ago my piano professor asked all the students if we had any contact with the jazz pianists. While most of them replied no, my reply was something like "well, I see them around but usually just meet them with a sceptic look every now and again" (It was a joke, mind you).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Hey mark, thanks for sharing. Snakker du om Norges Musikkhøgskole her?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    (In English so everyone can understand:)

Hi Thor. No, I'm talking about the music conservatory at Agder University College (UiA), though I've heard the situations are similar all over the country as well as in the United States.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2008 edited
    markrayen wrote
    (In English so everyone can understand:)

Hi Thor. No, I'm talking about the music conservatory at Agder University College (UiA), though I've heard the situations are similar all over the country as well as in the United States.

Oh. Well, it's interesting because I've been involved with the Institute of Music at the University of Oslo many times (even though I was teaching Media Studies, several of my courses involved people and subjects from the music institute), and there was no "arrogance" or division like you describe it there. But perhaps that is because this is mostly a theoretical study, not really aimed at educating musicians.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2009 edited
    There is another infamous remark... When people hear some music with light strings they tend to narrow it down to Disney music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2009
    Joep wrote
    There is another infamous remark... When people hear some music with light strings they tend to narrow it down to Disney music.

Very true. Disney music has that sort of 'twinkle' about it that most can actually recognize. Though you can't always let your ears guide you, as it can be deceiving.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2010 edited
    Discussion moved from here.

Thor wrote

I still think nostalgia is a HUGE reason for why the prequels are dismissed by people who grew up with the old ones. Not the only reason (as I said, the films have their shortcomings), but far more than any other. As such, they are quite underrated.

I don't doubt it. But the biggest reason is because they're not very good. Nothing really makes sense, the characters are boring, poorly written and poorly acted, the plots are messy (just what the hell was The Phantom Menace actually about!?) and to top it off it ruins everything that was magical about the originals. Let's take one example: the force. The way Yoda describes the force in Empire appeals to our sense of wonder and awe, and it encompasses what was so mythical and wonderful about the originals. Fast forward to 1999 and we get midichlorians. MIDICHLORIANS. Now, I would call myself a man of science, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy fantasy and fiction. I don't want 'the force' to be explained by science, I want it to remain mystical!

I honestly recommend watching RedLetterMedia's reviews to get a better understanding of why me, Erik and others despise them so much. I know it's lazy to link to another person's review, but they're very well made and completely destroy the prequels by revealing them for what they really are.

There are aspects about them that I do like, the obvious being the music, but also the design of the ships, the worlds and so forth. Even though it's used terribly because Lucas is lazy filmmaker and likes to rely on CGI to cover up his inability to direct, some of the CGI is actually quite impressive (and some not so impressive like fake-looking Yoda). But overall they're just... awful. Just awful.

Yes, I realise the irony of the thread title.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2010
    Steven wrote
    Discussion moved from [url=http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discussion/73/24/david-arnold/#Item_16]here[/
    I don't doubt it. But the biggest reason is because they're not very good. Nothing really makes sense, the characters are boring, poorly written and poorly acted, the plots are messy (just what the hell was The Phantom Menace actually about!?) and to top it off it ruins everything that was magical about the originals. Let's take one example: the force. The way Yoda describes the force in Empire appeals to our sense of wonder and awe, and it encompasses what was so mythical and wonderful about the originals. Fast forward to 1999 and we get midichlorians. MIDICHLORIANS. Now, I would call myself a man of science, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy fantasy and fiction. I don't want 'the force' to be explained by science, I want it to remain mystical!

Well, I think it does. It's something between religion/spirituality and science, and doesn't really need any more description, no more than Hitchcock's "Mcguffins".

I don't think this particular aspect is in any way inferior to the "force philosophies" in the original.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You're wrong, but I'll take your opinion into consideration nonetheless.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Transferred from the other thread:

Thor wrote
    I would say the opposite - that they are pretty good films as a whole, but that there are certain elements that don't work so well.

What exactly makes then so good then? Again, refer to Red Letter Media's reviews of Phantom and Clones for the reasons why the films are so bad!

-Erik-

'Good' and 'bad' are in the eye of the beholder, anyway. I wouldn't necessarily say that the prequels are particularly good, but they're not bad either. I love everything from the visual canvases (filmmaking is so much more than just storytelling, as AVATAR recently proved) to the myth/political aspect that is even expanded further than the originals to the action setpieces to the atmosphere to character arcs. On the downside is a slight over-reliance on CGI here and there, some mediocre direction/acting, some kiddie stuff that is a little too kiddie, Jar-Jar and some awkward dialogue.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2010 edited
    Thor wrote
    (filmmaking is so much more than just storytelling, as AVATAR recently proved)

No, films just have different ways to tell a story other than words and dialogue. A pretty picture, a pretty scene, is meaningless unless it adds to the story in some way. The visuals in Avatar add to the story because we're supposed to be taken in by the beauty of the landscapes and the creatures, they're not just pretty for the sake of being pretty. It's pretty because the story requires it.

The Star Wars prequels prove that impressive visuals (albeit with many a fake looking environment) are nothing without a good story to back them up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Steven, I agree with everything you said. My love of the CGI in the prequels does not translate in any way to a love of the films themselves. I just love eye candy, and I feel the same way about the good bits of CGI in the prequels as I would about nice eye candy in a video game. Or anything else that is especially nice to look at. But the films themselves, yes, they are awful. One of the most hilarious events of my life was watching Attack of the Clones for about the tenth times with some friends and making fun of practically every single line of dialogue! It is so bad its better enjoyed as a spoof of Star Wars than a real prequel. tongue
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Also I have grown to almost despise Avatar because when you get past all the visual splendor, it turns out that the writing, character development and acting are almost as bad as the Star Wars prequels. It's just that Cameron is so much better a film-maker than Lucas that he manages to bury most of the stale, rotten framework under layers and layers of illusory magic.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!