• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2008
    you guys get this , anything you play thats a film score to anyone else its Star Wars.
    drives me nuts!!
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    moonie wrote
    you guys get this , anything you play thats a film score to anyone else its Star Wars.
    drives me nuts!!

Really? I've never tried this. I'll get back to you on whether or not I get the same results. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2008 edited
    Really? Anyone who hears modern film music as "it's star wars to me" is a d*ckhead; or deaf; imo.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think a lot of people tend to view soundtracks as songs from the movie rather than score.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    ok example , at work today, I put Star Trek TMP on my phone to listen to today at work, I play it on the small speaker the phone has, anyway, I play the main title, whats that they say, another one says its Star Wars, I preceded to lecture them, DONT EVER CALL STAR TREK STAR WARS!!!!
    Im a huge Star Trek fan, love Star Wars too but there is a Big difference as you guys know.
    They at least got a kick out of it. and no not a real kick altho I would have liked too.

sd smile
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, if that's what are talking about, i.e. big, bold brassy fanfare film music driven by the leitmotif (just like INDIANA JONES, JURASSIC PARK, STAR WARS, STAR TREK, SUPERMAN et al) you can be sure the average dude will call it all "STAR WARS".
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    My wife has John Williams Olympic fanfare music as a ring tone for me , one time I called her and a co worker of hers said, whats that Yanni ?

It almost drove me mad when she told me, YANNI !! you can guess the rest.
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It used to drive me insane, I have to admit. These days it doesn't really concern me too much, it's just the same as me talking to a hardcore Jazz fan and not knowing the first thing about it. We're all ignorant.

Except if your name is Martijn. I hate that guy. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yanni? LOL that's a good one lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    It used to drive me insane, I have to admit. These days it doesn't really concern me too much, it's just the same as me talking to a hardcore Jazz fan and not knowing the first thing about it. We're all ignorant.

Hardcore Jazz? Ignorant? No i am not! The answer to all is countless hours of headache-inducing but extremely technical improvisations that walk on the lines between actual music and showing-off over steady-held contrabass and drums rhythm section, huge total running times and lots of snobbery. There ya go. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Steven wrote
    I think a lot of people tend to view soundtracks as songs from the movie rather than score.

That's what I get ALL the time. I mention my passion in film music to a muggle and the first thing half the people say is: "Oh, like Queen of the Damned! That had good music!" It is so obvious they completely misunderstood my idea of "film music."

But the "it's still Star Wars to me" thing I get MUCH more often actually revolves around my passion for German board games. When I start describing the kind of board games I like (a concept 100% alien to the American public), somebody will invariably say "Oh, so it's kinda like Monopoly..."

Strangulations, indictments and manhunts usually follow. That's why I spend most of my time on MT through internet cafes all over the country, while on the run from the law.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

Hardcore Jazz? Ignorant? No i am not! The answer to all is countless hours of headache-inducing but extremely technical improvisations that walk on the lines between actual music and showing-off over steady-held contrabass and drums rhythm section, huge total running times and lots of snobbery. There ya go. beer

biggrin

Oh I dunno, I like quite a lot of Jazz. It's also a very wide definition that even many Jazz fans don't always agree on. But I've never been remotely interested in becoming a hardcore Jazz fan myself.

There's a lot of snobbery in pretty much any niche I think. But Jazz fans would appear to be swimming in it. Perhaps that's how they view us though? (If they knew about us. rolleyes )
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Steven wrote
    Oh I dunno, I like quite a lot of Jazz.

Does that turn of phrase imply that there's a lot of jazz styles that you like, or that you like some jazz but you like a lot of it, or that you simply like a lot of all kinds of jazz all the time?

Pretty little girl school?
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

biggrin

Oh I dunno, I like quite a lot of Jazz. It's also a very wide definition that even many Jazz fans don't always agree on. But I've never been remotely interested in becoming a hardcore Jazz fan myself.

There's a lot of snobbery in pretty much any niche I think. But Jazz fans would appear to be swimming in it. Perhaps that's how they view us though? (If they knew about us. rolleyes )

No; i believe that film music fans are may more open to other, pure musical genres due to the varied nature of film music itself which in essence IS an amalgam of all those genres. Hardcore Jazz fans' ears are usually stupidly elitist and plugged against anything other than the description above. I once had a friend drummer who would refuse to listen to anything else than hardcore technical jazz on the improvisation side of things and his attitude towards everything else really annoyed me; hence the "i once had" biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    HeeroJF wrote
    Steven wrote

That's what I get ALL the time. I mention my passion in film music to a muggle and the first thing half the people say is: "Oh, like Queen of the Damned! That had good music!" It is so obvious they completely misunderstood my idea of "film music."

Just do what I do and when someone asks you want kind of music you like and tell them you listen to "film scores." Most of the time I'm met with a strange befuddled look to which I explain exactly what I mean. That way there is no misunderstanding. Most of the time they'll say something along the lines of, "Yeah, that's weird," and then just go about doing whatever. Every once in a while someone will be intrigued (or really appalled -- "you listen to music that doesn't have words!!!???). biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    The other thing I sometimes get from people who think they're doing an effort to show an interest in the discussion is: "So, what about classical music, you listen to that?"

Whatever it takes to deviate from the topic of film music as fast as possible, one way or the other....
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    People are just scared of the unfamiliar. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Too true.

And I won't even get started on the looks I get when I share my hobby of gutting small animals with a weedeater in my bathtub. People are just so close-minded, you have no idea...
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    I've experienced the star wars thing too.
    I hate when people call the Bond theme mission impossible. It seriously ticks me off! angry

What doesn't bother me though is when people hear the rock or black hawk down or any one of those many MV scores and say it sounds like pirates of the Caribbean. That just cracks me up. Then they say they love the Pirates of the Caribbean music and think it is the most amazing score ever and I want to hurt them. wink but seriously...
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I've heard this many times. My dad thinks Sky Captain is just Star Wars again...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Heh, Maykel had some music from the Da Vinci Code playing when he was at work and his colleagues asked if that was music from the Efteling.

What I don't like is when people think it sounds all the same. When I play one score and I'm asked if I put it on repeat. No! That's not the same track again! Those are variations on the theme!!
    crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregje wrote
    Heh, Maykel had some music from the Da Vinci Code playing when he was at work and his colleagues asked if that was music from the Efteling.

That's...an interesting conclusion... does he work at or close to the theme park?
    Or with a bunch of theme park nuts?

I'm not surprised though: it seems that to the uninterested / untrained ear, supporting music almost always sounds the same (hence the easy confusion between Goldsmith's Star Trek and Williams' Star Wars: "hey, it's all big, majestic and brassy".)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    David wrote
    People are just scared of the unfamiliar. wink

They're scare to admit their stupidity and total lack of musical education whatsoever, even the typical, as they've been going to the cinemas for 10-20 or more years in their lives and never realized there's actual music in the movies other than the songs they all automatically associate with the words film music and scores. There's no excuse for anyone, it's not like something we've been secretly doing in dark dungeons through the centuries for God's sake, everybody goes to the cinema since childhood, it's all around you, it's in your face; it's not just about film music, the same goes for classical music, jazz, blues, world music, anything. It'd make for such a better place if people didn't actually divide everything as 1) background noise VS 2) "oh-oh-oh Rihana is on, turn the volume up!!"
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    Right now I'm picturing Moonie as a overly nice Homer Simpson bottling up all his rage into this bobble in his neck. 'Yanni'? Grrrr.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Bregje wrote
    What I don't like is when people think it sounds all the same. When I play one score and I'm asked if I put it on repeat. No! That's not the same track again! Those are variations on the theme!!
    crazy

Someone told me exactly that about their experience listening to the first Pirates of the Carribean soundtrack. "Every track was the same!!" While some scores are indeed more repetitive than others, people need to learn about variations.

Anthony wrote
    I've heard this many times. My dad thinks Sky Captain is just Star Wars again...

We need to turn this back on them. Next time they listen to Mick Jagger, we should walk by and say "It's just the Beatles all over again."
  1. Or Bill Haley biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Who?
  2. Mr. Twist Again
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    That would be Chubby Checker.

Bill Haley is Mr. Alligator, or Mr. Around The Clock.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    See? I don't even have to fake it. I truly don't know any of those people.