• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2008
    ^ That last thing you mention happens with the majority of the film composers out there today as well; typecasting, it happens to everyone.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2008 edited
    I was anticipating someone to say that (would've said so myself by my post was getting too long!).

It's true, and so I guess it brings me to this point: those "serious films" composers, those who are typecast to score "serious, Oscar-worthy" films only, are rarely my favourite. I'd almost use the phrase "sell out", referring to their refusal to consider the popcorn movies out there as worthy musical opportunities. In today's world, I would say that list consists of:

- Stephen Warbeck (Salvaged by one MAJOR thing: Mystery Men!!)
    - Jan A.P. Kaczmarek (Salvaged in my opinion by the fact that his music is SUPER GREAT! I don't care if he's a typecast sell-out!!!)
    - Alexandre Desplat (I haven't heard enough about him yet to know if I can forgive him, but the fact he did The Golden Compass is impressive)
    - David Julyan (No salvaging features discovered yet)
    - and of course Philip Glass (Influencial, to be sure, but otherwise meh)
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2008
    It seems to me that your problem is with serious music and serious films; not "classical" composers per se.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2008 edited
    But see, Kaczmarek doesn't score his "serious" films like a concert composer does. He's very good at offering a varied program that suits the film scene-by-scene, flipping the mood and pace in the middle of a track if it calls for it. I don't see Glass capable (or actually willing) of doing that.

Prokofiev is one concert composer who "barged in" the world of film music completely successfully, without imposing his concert hall sensibilities. Randy Newman is his modern day equivalent. I wouldn't have such problems with Glass if I didn't get vibe of "Get out of here small-fries, you cheap, unserious popcorn artists, I'll show you how it's done! I'll show you how film music can sound when done properly, the concert hall way!" from him. See, from his point of view, it's probably Ennio Morricone and John Williams who are the sell-outs!!

Anyways, that's the vibe I get. Maybe that vibe can go away if I listen to more....
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2008
    HeeroJF wrote
    Of course I didn't mean that. Santaolalla and Glass are two very different kinds of bad film composers. Because make no mistake I don't think either of them are very good at it. They all too clearly compose music that stems from their heritage. Santaolalla scores like a guitarist and Glass like a classical artist. Neither of which is "real" Steiner-like film music. It fits the film, but just barely. It's like asking Salvador Dahli to tapdance. Clearly a superlative painter and a genius, but he has no business trying to steal Fred Astaire's job.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree strongly with you again, Heero. In my opinion, what you describe is an awfully, awfully limited way of looking at what film and film music IS.

Why should all film music be "real, Steiner-like film music"?

I happen to think that the film medium is flexible enough to room MORE approaches and different TYPES of filmatic or film musical expression.

There are films that are well served by the classical, symphonic approach by educated film composers AND there are films that are better served with alternative musical expressions, such as Santaolalla, Glass or Eastwood.

You have to look at how the music supports the movie, first and foremost! Whatever background the composer has, is really relevant. The evaluation should be based on his WORK alone.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, i too figured out that Heero's tastes (for his own good or bad, still they're his own and he can do whatever he wants wink ) are very limited to specific fields and styles (perhaps even specific decades) that's why i didn't pursue the conversation any further.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    this is true of other composers also. Herrmann would not have fit well in The Odd Couple.
    listen to more classical music!
  1. Or As Good As It Gets.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2008
    Can you imagine what Bernie would have done with Brokeback Mountain? Yikes is all I can say
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
  2. Yikes indeed bunny
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2008
    Bernie Mac?
  3. Herrmann.