• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2009 edited
    DemonStar wrote
    BTW, great new avatar icon, Miya! biggrin

THANKS! bunny

NP: Little Women Meet Joe Black - Thomas Newman

Love both score biggrin
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Horton Hears A Who! - John Powell

-Erik-

It's interesting listen this score after we have a masterclass with powell in ubeda about the ideas he was considerating for this score.

Indeed. At that time I didn´t fully understand what he was talking about, what did all those weird samples he played in his laptop mean and why did he had a smile in his face for all the masterclass. Once I listened "Horton Hears a Who" for the first time I fully understood. Simply brilliant.

I still don't understand. His talk was absolutely poo. It felt as if he didn't actually want to talk and just wanted to listen to his iPod instead. He didn't explain what any of that weird music meant or why it was specific to him. rolleyes

And what was with all the casual questions afterwards? Places like Ubeda are where the hardcore fans are meant to pick the brains of the composer! sad

I think the translator had trouble working out what I said exactly. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2009
    Anthony wrote

Hey, did you ask something? (I hadn´t still recognised you) What was it?
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Marselus wrote
    Anthony wrote

Something along the lines of:

"Last week you recorded Stop Loss and you conducted yourself. From what I understand, you don't normally conduct, so why did you, and are you planning to do it more in future?".

His reply was something lame like "Money, and no."

I stared blankly and after a few seconds he elaborated.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE LORD OF THE RINGS : THE RETURN OF THE KING - Howard Shore

There was nowhere else to go BUT put the third score on! punk cool

I'm already thinking of what to play next? Something similar or totally different?? The Trilogy is a hard act to follow.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Miya wrote

Love both score biggrin

That's an all too disturbing coming together of two titles! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Anthony wrote

Something along the lines of:

"Last week you recorded Stop Loss and you conducted yourself. From what I understand, you don't normally conduct, so why did you, and are you planning to do it more in future?".

His reply was something lame like "Money, and no."

I stared blankly and after a few seconds he elaborated.

Oh yes I remember it! Actually I was about to ask this question when you asked it. I also found interesting to know if he planned to do more conducting. His answer was pretty clear though: NO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: The Da Vinci Code - Hans Zimmer

Chevaliers De Sangreal is awesome, as are tracks like The Citrine Cross and Kyrie for the magdalene!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : CHINATOWN - Jerry Goldsmith

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

cool

You and your fancy signed CDs... slant
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

cool

You and your fancy signed CDs... slant

Wow! You remembered that this is the CD I had signed by the master. cool beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Most things Goldsmith-related I will remember, yuh. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    A sparkly clean house, a cup of hot hazelnut coffee, a couple of freshly baked croissants, a wonderful book and some brathtaking music in the background! What else do I need?! Only the wish that my love were here... love

Following Tim's lead
    NP:The Lord of the Rings ~ The Return of the King (Complete Recordings)
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  1. Hans Zimmer - Hannibal

Dear Hans,

I have followed your scores with enthusiasm for quite a while. This one I bought just like that when I saw it in the shop and I think it's my second favorite of yours after The Thin Red Line (and was my most favorite score until I rediscovered TTRL after second or third watching of that film).

The monologues and generally postmodernist character of the score is what I think was a stroke of genius. The darkness of the cello/bass writing, Klaus Badelt's Strauss parody. The Avarice theme is also one of your best and so influential for your later darker scores.

I just love Hannibal.

Tata,
    P.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer - Hannibal

Dear Hans,

I have followed your scores with enthusiasm for quite a while. This one I bought just like that when I saw it in the shop and I think it's my second favorite of yours after The Thin Red Line (and was my most favorite score until I rediscovered TTRL after second or third watching of that film).

The monologues and generally postmodernist character of the score is what I think was a stroke of genius. The darkness of the cello/bass writing, Klaus Badelt's Strauss parody. The Avarice theme is also one of your best and so influential for your later darker scores.

I just love Hannibal.

Tata,
    P.

I agree!
    Even if I´d send to jail the one responsible of including the monologues. It is a score cd for christ sake, a SCORE CD!
  2. The dialogues add tot he atmosphere. It was Zimmer's idea to include them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    PawelStroinski wrote
    The dialogues add tot he atmosphere. It was Zimmer's idea to include them.

...and this idea was so great that no other album of a Zimmer score since does have dialogues. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    I think it is always a bad idea to include dialogues in the scores. I mean I am enjoying a theme or I´m delighted by a specific cue and then suddenly somebody starts talking slant
  3. Thomas wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    The dialogues add tot he atmosphere. It was Zimmer's idea to include them.

...and this idea was so great that no other album of a Zimmer score since does have dialogues. biggrin

They told him to add them in More Music from Gladiator (he was against it).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    markrayen wrote
    NP: Largo Winch (Alexandre Desplat)

I suspect Desplat is the best active film composer in Hollywood these days.

Double that.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Largo Winch Alexendre Desplat

Those who complain about the lack of good scores that came out last year need to remove their earplugs. I, for one, am very pleased with 2008's score output.

And I was hoping to have that by now, hopefully it'll turn up Monday, Tuesday....

Have you heard Benjamin Button yet? Another impressive score from Desplat (yet again).

Indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Just Played: Medal of Honor Airborne (Giacchino)

Kickass score to end a mediocre day... so it became an alright day after all. I hope Giacchino keeps doing VG scores, because he never ceases to amaze me there...
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I'm with you there. Perhaps after Lost is over thought he should step down from TV scoring. I can't see him topping it - but I can see him topping all of his movie and game scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer - Hannibal

Dear Hans,

I just love Hannibal.

Tata,
    P.

I agree!
    Even if I´d send to jail the one responsible of including the monologues. It is a score cd for christ sake, a SCORE CD!

HANNIBAL is one of the best scores he has ever produced. I haven't decide if Da Vinci Code is the best of the two yet.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2009
    NP - To Kill A Mockingbird (Elmer Bernstein)

This is the original soundtrack with Bernstein conducting. It is perhaps first and foremost famous because of Bernstein's ingenious choice to speak through the eyes of the children in the film, but it is also fantastic music in it's own right!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Steven wrote
    Miya wrote

Love both score biggrin

That's an all too disturbing coming together of two titles! shocked

I haven't seen Meet Joe Black, so I'm not sure what will happen when March sisters meet Brad Pitt! biggrin

NP: Meet Joe Black Again
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer - Hannibal

Dear Hans,

I just love Hannibal.

Tata,
    P.

I agree!

HANNIBAL is one of the best scores he has ever produced. I haven't decide if Da Vinci Code is the best of the two yet.

Steady now Jordi wink
  4. Just finished playing Le Roi et l'Oiseau - Wojciech Kilar. I bought this one after hearing a clip from the animations clip guessing contest we had not too long ago. Thanks to whoever did that one (I can't remember, sorry shame ) and to everyone here that is continually opening my eyes to great music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    GEORGE FENTON - planet earth

Such orchestral power and lyrical nature of melodic arrangements is not frequently met in the medium. A very coherent mammoth of a work, clearly some of the most powerful material the man has ever written.
  5. NP: Ponyo / Cliff / Sea (Hisaishi - not sure how the title goes)

Once again, Joe Hisashi proves he's the Japanese John Williams! (Hi Joep!) wink

J/k. Look, it's a really nice score. He could do this sort of thing with his eyes closed, and yet it doesn't sound terribly like Spirited Away, which you'd expect. The hommage to 'Flight of the Valkyries' is a lot of fun, and there's strong melodies running through the well-orchestrated whole. It sits nicely alongside his other strong recent work.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am