• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2009
    Nominations for Best Foreign Movie

- Austria, "Revanche" Gotz Spielmann, director
    - Canada, "The Necessities of Life" Benoit Pilon, director
    - France, "The Class" Laurent Cantet, director
    - Germany, "The Baader Meinhof Complex" Uli Edel, director
    - Israel, "Waltz with Bashir" Ari Folman, director
    - Japan, "Departures" Yojiro Takita, director
    - Mexico, "Tear This Heart Out" Roberto Sneider, director
    - Sweden, "Everlasting Moments" Jan Troell, director
    - Turkey, "3 Monkeys" Nuri Bilge Ceylan, director
    Kazoo
  1. Some of the best films - THE EDGE OF HEAVEN, FLIGHT OF THE RED BALLOON, LET THE RIGHT ONE IN - weren't eligible.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    franz_conrad wrote
    Some of the best films - THE EDGE OF HEAVEN, FLIGHT OF THE RED BALLOON, LET THE RIGHT ONE IN - weren't eligible.

Why?
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  2. Each country can only nominate one film, and it has to come from a particular release period.

LET THE RIGHT ONE IN came out after November in Norway, so it will be eligible for next year's selection.

THE EDGE OF HEAVEN was Turkey's nomination in 2007, but it only started hitting cinemas this year.

FLIGHT OF THE RED BALLOON was a film made with French money in France by a Taiwanese director. It was never going to be the one French film picked to represent a whole year in French cinema.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    franz_conrad wrote
    Each country can only nominate one film, and it has to come from a particular release period.

LET THE RIGHT ONE IN came out after November in Norway, so it will be eligible for next year's selection.

THE EDGE OF HEAVEN was Turkey's nomination in 2007, but it only started hitting cinemas this year.

FLIGHT OF THE RED BALLOON was a film made with French money in France by a Taiwanese director. It was never going to be the one French film picked to represent a whole year in French cinema.

Thanks!
    Too bad, I would have loved an Oscar for LET THE RIGHT ONE IN, one of the best films I watched in 2008.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2009
    Bregt, don't we kind of...you know...have a thread for the upcoming Oscars here? confused biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    But those are for the 2009 awards. I just posted the first nominations for 2008 movies. tongue
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    franz_conrad wrote
    Each country can only nominate one film, and it has to come from a particular release period.

Errm,,, that would be Sweden!

mc
  3. I can think of three possible answers to that:

1. I was just testing you, of course.
    2. From this office in Australia, it's hard to tell the two apart.
    3. Sweden is indeed a beautiful country.

wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ......3.....with beautiful babes.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Christodoulides wrote
    ......3.....with beautiful babes.

Norway, Sweden and Finland! punk
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    For your information it will be 90 degrees here today and we're in winter, go figure
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    sdtom wrote
    For your information it will be 90 degrees here today and we're in winter, go figure

And we're freezing at -7 F in Minnesota. Perhaps it's a little better off than our Scandinavian friends tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BhelPuri wrote
    sdtom wrote

And we're freezing at -7 F in Minnesota. Perhaps it's a little better off than our Scandinavian friends tongue

It's quite mild here now but everything was frozen this last weekend, more like the "proper" kind of British winters I remember from when I was a kid.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    BhelPuri wrote
    sdtom wrote

It's quite mild here now but everything was frozen this last weekend, more like the "proper" kind of British winters I remember from when I was a kid.

Apart from the lack of snow!
  4. weren't we (Belgium) possible nominees? Don't know which movie but it has been in the news, too lazy to look it up now
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh