• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. As part of an experiment in an electroacoustics class, I've been commissioned to find and score two or three movie scenes that have no music. Unfortunately, most such scenes that I know of have no incidental music because they shouldn't. Now I'm looking for other unscored scenes that might work well. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!
  2. Some suggestions...

In the film CACHE (dir: Michael Haneke), there's a scene where Daniel Auteil's character goes to speak to his mother. The conversation is filmed at length, and you do start to feel the scene running on after a little while. Perhaps some very subtle music could characterise what Auteil is thinking in that scene, particularly in the second half? The film as a whole has no music.

In the film THE CLAIM (dir: Michael Winterbottom), there's a scene where the railroad company men (led by Wes Bentley) come to the town of Kingdom Come to clear out their property. The local landlord (Peter Mullen) and sheriff attempt to stop them by force, and a brief shootout ensues. The film uses no music in this scene from memory, although Michael Nyman did write music for it. Perhaps score the scene for its suspense/standoff potential.

In the film PERSONA (dir: Ingmar Bergman), there's a scene where Bibi Andersson (playing the nurse) tells the story of a sexual encounter to her patient. The monologue is quite famous, and if you've ever seem Andersson deliver it, you'll know why. From memory, there is no score here, but something that alludes to the enveloping erotic rhythms of lovemaking wouldn't be out of place. (Look at Nicole Kidman's two monologues in Kubrick's EYES WIDE SHUT as an indication of the way music might work in the Bergman scene.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2009
    One scene that always stood out to me... especially after seeing the Star Wars prequels... is the Speeder Bike Chase from Return of the Jedi. If this scene was filmed now a huge John Williams action cue would have been commissioned. I think it's fantastic that the bike chase wasn't scored to let the sound design shine! I think it makes the scene even more exciting!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!