• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2009
    Anthony wrote
    I couldn't actually hear it as Hugh Edwards was just talking over the whole thing. rolleyes

Yep, BBC's idiot talking heads spouting diaho....dierea.......SHIT!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    I hope that piece becomes available in 32-bit sound, because it sounded beautiful. All four musicians did especially well in the cold weather, particularly Yo-Yo Ma and Perlman.

Williams should be lauded for doing an adaptation like this on short notice. Maybe he could do another for 2012?
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Keep in mind that John is getting up in years and people do slow down, not that I know anything about that smile
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote
    Keep in mind that John is getting up in years and people do slow down, not that I know anything about that smile
    Thomas

Pfft! What is 76 in this day and age?
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Thor wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    is this done knowingly by Williams? Because wasn't he inspired by Copland early in his career?

Oh yes, definitely. Here's an article on why that particular Copland piece was used:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111799 … 6&cs=1

ah cool, many thanks
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorHobo
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2009
    To someone who appreciates Copeland, the chamber music-type quartet, and the talent of the performers, the music at the inauguration is a refreshing change from the Marine Corp band music.

Having said that, I was deeply disappointed that John Williams did not cap his brilliant career with a newly composed theme-style composition that made his movie sound tracks so popular. We know that Williams can compose music that is both inspirational and refreshing. By choosing a rather high-brow piece, I believe Williams missed the opportunity to raise goose bumps and bring tears to the eyes of the common folks who clearly regard Obama as one of their "own kind". Something like Jurassic Park"s "Journey to the Island" would have been so much in keeping with the down-to-earth atmosphere of the entire inauguration. A pre-recorded backing track would probably been required to enhanced the dimension of music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Obama will have 4 years to show he is one of their 'own kind'
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Hobo wrote
    To someone who appreciates Copeland, the chamber music-type quartet, and the talent of the performers, the music at the inauguration is a refreshing change from the Marine Corp band music.

Having said that, I was deeply disappointed that John Williams did not cap his brilliant career with a newly composed theme-style composition that made his movie sound tracks so popular. We know that Williams can compose music that is both inspirational and refreshing. By choosing a rather high-brow piece, I believe Williams missed the opportunity to raise goose bumps and bring tears to the eyes of the common folks who clearly regard Obama as one of their "own kind". Something like Jurassic Park"s "Journey to the Island" would have been so much in keeping with the down-to-earth atmosphere of the entire inauguration. A pre-recorded backing track would probably been required to enhanced the dimension of music.

I know what you're saying, but that would have been very out-of-place, IMO. It showed necessary restraint, adding class to the proceedings. The LAST thing a ceremony such as this needs is another element that adds to the "over-the-top"-ness of it all.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2009
    LOL

But it's not that much of a surprise. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    Heh, turns out it was playback because it couldn't be played in the cold weather. So much for a breathtaking live performance smile

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/23/arts/ … r=2&hp
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Now that its over his real work will begin.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Stinky sneaky b********s biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2009
    I wonder how long before his hair turns completely white
  2. I'm surprised any of the bands in that weather had their live performance broadcast. Most event managers try to minimize real broadcasts for ceremonial occasions. It usually means there are 30 less things that can go wrong on a list of 1000 things that can go wrong. (See the recent Olympics, the Commonwealth Games before that, etc.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2009
    franz_conrad wrote
    I'm surprised any of the bands in that weather had their live performance broadcast. Most event managers try to minimize real broadcasts for ceremonial occasions. It usually means there are 30 less things that can go wrong on a list of 1000 things that can go wrong. (See the recent Olympics, the Commonwealth Games before that, etc.)

For sure
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2009
    For those who didn't know, Air and Simple Gifts is now available as a $0.99 download on iTunes. I just bought it. cool