• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2009
    I just read that John Williams has composed some new music to be played at Barrack Obama's inauguration on January 20th.

"... the Joint Congressional Committee on Inaugural Ceremonies has also enlisted none other than John Williams — best known for scoring Star Wars and Jaws — to compose a new work to be played by cellist Yo-Yo Ma, violinist Itzhak Perlman, pianist Gabriela Montero and clarinetist Anthony McGill. Williams also wrote music for Obama’s election-night rally in Chicago’s Grant Park. We know they won’t be playing “The Imperial March” on inauguration day, but still. If you want to feel like a bad ass to instrumental music there are few other people worth calling."

http://www.thetripwire.com/news/2008/12 … uguration/

I wonder if the music will be available as a recording to buy at some point? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Artworks wrote
    I wonder if the music will be available as a recording to buy at some point? smile

I certainly hope so! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Me too. I just hope I get to actually HEAR it in full, as I don't think this event will be covered on Norwegian TV, at least not in full.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    Me too. I just hope I get to actually HEAR it in full, as I don't think this event will be covered on Norwegian TV, at least not in full.

Just quoting this for posterity.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2009
    Martijn wrote
    Thor wrote

Just quoting this for posterity.

He, he...yeah, and be sure to conveniently omit the part that this is an autonomous concert piece and not a film score! wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Why of COURSE!
    This ain't snopes! We actually like innuendo, urban legends and outright falsehoods here!
    wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorKrish4479
    The Imperial March is suitable music for Obama.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Is that so, Krish4479?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    Thor wrote

As far as I know, cnn.com/video/ will be streaming the entire event live. I'm not sure what time that will be for you, but it should be on there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Jon Burlingame interviews John Williams about his newest composition, written for the Obama inaugural on Tuesday:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117998645.html

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Very interesting. I hope it's great! Too bad there's not a full orchestra behind this. I love Copeland's arrangement of this piece so much--I just think of it in terms of a big orchestra and lots of grandeur. I'm hoping this will be a great one, too. It will certainly sound distinct.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Krish4479 wrote

Don't be silly -- the Imperial March is more suited to McCain and... gag, Palin's inauguration.

Which thankfully didn't happen.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    • CommentAuthorKing Rao
    Matt C wrote
    Krish4479 wrote

Don't be silly -- the Imperial March is more suited to McCain and... gag, Palin's inauguration.

Which thankfully didn't happen.

Ah, political sniping -- wonderful. Because really, there's not enough of that on the internet...
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2009
    But, but Krish started it!
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sleep

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    sleep
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2009
    Beautiful piece of music, and the performances by Itzhak Perlman and Yo-Yo Ma totally took my breath away. Those guys know what they are doing! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Pretty impressive considering it was freezing weather too. I'm surprised they kept the dexterity in their hands so well!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I couldn't actually hear it as Hugh Edwards was just talking over the whole thing. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
  2. Artworks wrote
    You can watch it here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDUTM3NViHc

that didn't take very long to be on the internet rolleyes
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Nope, Youtube is a wonderful place smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Artworks wrote
    You can watch it here:

That's what I said. smile

What an odd piece.
    I'm not sure what to make of the tone. I do not understand its somber beginnings, nor the inclusion of a hymn. There's Williams' sense towards Americana, for sure, but I just don't get what he's trying to convey here.

Well, I like it better than Soundings, anyway.

The performance was first-class by all though!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Artworks wrote
    You can watch it here:

That's what I said. smile

What an odd piece.
    I'm not sure what to make of the tone. I do not understand its somber beginnings, nor the inclusion of a hymn. There's Williams' sense towards Americana, for sure, but I just don't get what he's trying to convey here.

Well, I like it better than Soundings, anyway.

The performance was first-class by all though!

You do know that much of the piece is an arrangement of the Copland piece "Simple Gifts", right? (probably the Americana you're hearing).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I know nothing of Copland. shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote

Well, then it's time to get going. smile The theme is featured in his piece "Appalachian Spring", which is one of his most-recorded pieces. I recommend this set, which also has many other nice works.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Thor wrote
    Martijn wrote

Well, then it's time to get going. smile The theme is featured in his piece "Appalachian Spring", which is one of his most-recorded pieces. I recommend this set, which also has many other nice works.

is this done knowingly by Williams? Because wasn't he inspired by Copland early in his career?
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Artworks wrote
    You can watch it here:

thanks!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    Steven wrote
    Pretty impressive considering it was freezing weather too. I'm surprised they kept the dexterity in their hands so well!

... and they enjoyed it so much! Such intricate and exhilarating details in the second section - above all it just seemed so fun to play! The beginning and ending reminded so much of Saving Private Ryan with the violin/cello duet. Some parts seemed crazily eccentric (first stages of senility perhaps...?), but yet so utterly inventive and musically convincing.

I hope this piece gets published as soon as possible!

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    is this done knowingly by Williams? Because wasn't he inspired by Copland early in his career?

Oh yes, definitely. Here's an article on why that particular Copland piece was used:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111799 … 6&cs=1
    I am extremely serious.