• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2009
    Martijn wrote
    I would argue that closing the session is the more imperative here.
    I couldn't find any technical corroboration to back me up (well, not one I understood anyway dizzy ), but from experience I find that -especially if you're using post-2002 hardware- speed is far less a substantial factor.

On older PCs, especially on CD writers from 1998-2000, though, it's best to use the lowest possible speed.
    It's something to do with synchronising the laser which really was still in its infancy back then.

That's what I did with my old PC.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2009 edited
    Phew! Made it. A couple of weeks later and I have transferred my entire CD collection to digital files - except for a huge 50-CD box of classical music from Harmonia Mundi. I'll have to save that for later.

815 albums, 32 days, 56 GB. That's what it says. I actually have more CD' than that, but I've combined several discs in one file and stuff - except for some things that wouldn't combine, for some reason.

Just in the nick of time, too, as I'm going to Thailand on Friday. The only problem now is that I wanted to have some FILMS on there as well, but alas....I would have to convert som avi-files or something to a compatible iPod-format, and I don't know how to do that, nor do I really have the time.

It's been an interesting experience so far. It's probably old news to most of you, but the ability to just go from Oakenfold to Strauss to Supertramp in one click is a totally new experience for me. Weird.

I've acquired covers for all of them as well, which kinda makes it neat, IMO:

http://www.celluloidtunes.net/non-website/ipod.jpg
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    The only problem now is that I wanted to have some FILMS on there as well, but alas....I would have to convert som avi-files or something to a compatible iPod-format,

Ahem.
    Martijn wrote
    2) There are a couple of freeware programs out there that will (relatively) easily and quickly convert any movie file to MOV. I can watch a 1-hour TV show on as little as 200 MB, so that should do you.

and I don't know how to do that

Click - click - browse - click - click.
    Just don't touch the "power mode" :-)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Cool, Martijn! Sorry I missed that tip of yours earlier. I've just now downloaded the program, and doing a test run on an avi-file I had. Thanks.

I feel like I have at least four or five movie file/audio file conversion programs now. There should be one program for all kinds of conversions!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2009
    Hope it works out, Thor!
    I just finished watching some episodes of Lost and The Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles on my iPod Classic which I converted through Videora, and it works a treat!

You can queue a number of avis as well (although you unfortunately can't select them in a batch: you have to queue 'em one by one), but after a haggard ten minutes of queueing and a night of CPU-pumping action, the next morning you are the proud owner of a full TV series worth of iPod video files! punk
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Alas, I'm still in the analog world.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2009 edited
    Blah....didn't work. I think this is the reason: Once I had transferred all my CD's, I saw that the collection took up too much space on the C: disc (as I said, it was 56 GB), so I transferred the files to my D: disc instead, which is really a drive designed to contain data only. This was after I had synchronized the ipod with my computer. So films and music are now on the D: drive. However, when the film had finished converting, I got a message that it couldn't be added to the iTunes library. When I plugged in my iPod and pressed the "Films" category, it couldn't find the film there either. Even though the converted file is there on my harddisk - in the "Video" folder on the D: drive. And since there's no way to simply drag the converted file into the iPod, I think I'm stuck?! That is, unless I delete the whole ipod and transfer all the CD's again?!?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    This is exactly some of the nonsense I end up going through with my computer. Can't you just buy a low cost external hard drive and save it all there? We can get them in the states for $80.00 or so for a 500 gig unit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah, you can, Thor, but it's a workaround: enable "disk use" on your iPod (plug it in, and check the tick box in iTunes when it shows up).
    DON'T PUSH THE SYNC BUTTON. You will lose everything as you've migrated your iTunes library.

Now just drag the film from your explorer unto the movies icon/folder in iTunes.
    iTunes will copy the film to your iPod then.
    Hey presto!

(I'm pretty sure you can change something in iTunes to point to the changed location of your library, but I'm not sure how).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    sdtom wrote
    This is exactly some of the nonsense I end up going through with my computer. Can't you just buy a low cost external hard drive and save it all there? We can get them in the states for $80.00 or so for a 500 gig unit.

That's exactly what i did, Tom.
    I havea couple of flaming HUGE external hasrd disks specifically for music and films.
    That way, even if my computer dies, I can always hook them up to another server without missing a beat.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I found mine to be very useful for my photos.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2009
    I have an opportunity to purchase an apple ipod 120gig for $219.00. Fair deal ?
  1. sdtom wrote

My first through was, "Hell, yes!" It seems to be a very reasonable price for the size. But I've not checked what the current prices are for iPods.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote

Is it used or new? The new 120GB iPod's go for $249 (US) So if it's brand new, $219 is a great deal! Now you have to start converting your music! wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Brand new with a 30 day return privilege
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm going to get it and get myself updated. I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2009
    I did buy it and now I'm going to need help getting the files into the ipod using?
  2. sdtom wrote
    I did buy it and now I'm going to need help getting the files into the ipod using?

Make sure that you add all your questions here so that they can be used as a reference for people later.

I'm always worried that my 60GB Zen is going to pack up at some point in the future (paranoia or just realistic?) and I don't think that there's going to be much option for me as far as capacity is concerned when I need to buy a new one.

I've currently ~40GB of music on my current player and I don't think that I've many options for space to store this music and have plenty of capacity for more. I may be forced to go iPod.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    sdtom wrote

iTunes?
  3. Steven wrote
    sdtom wrote

iTunes?

Are you not restricted to using iTunes when populating an iPod or can you sync with something like MediaMonkey?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Steven wrote
    sdtom wrote

iTunes?

Are you not restricted to using iTunes when populating an iPod or can you sync with something like MediaMonkey?

You can, but I don't see the point. The only problem with iTunes for some is that it is relatively processor hungry. But I've never had a problem with this, and I've never had any problems with iTunes. (Granted, I'm using a Mac and iTunes probably runs best on a Mac OS anyway?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yes, it does.
    I have to say that iTunes is a bit of a headache on PCs (especially where performance is concerned, ESPECIALLY when you have such an extansive library as I do).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2009 edited
    I've been using iTunes for a long time on my iBook G4, and haven't had much problems. There was a problem to play "continuous" tracks (e.g. Gradiator and The Last Samurai) smoothly on older versions but now it's fixed! It's getting better and better at every update. (But also they added unnecessary functions like Genius rolleyes )

The only one mp3 player I have is an old iPod Shuffle 512MB (!) ... it's horribly unsuitable to play whole albums, but I prefer playing physical CD if I want a whole listening experience. I only use my iPod to listen to favorite tracks at school or in train.

Anyway, some of the tips on this thread are very useful for me too. Thanks smile
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Miya wrote
    I prefer playing physical CD if I want a whole listening experience. I only use my iPod to listen to favorite tracks at school or in train.

Me too. Listening on the proper CD player is a much better experience smile
  4. I've heard that iTunes is a bit processor hungry - and that would be a good enough reason for me to avoid it if there are alternatives.
  5. DemonStar wrote
    Miya wrote
    I prefer playing physical CD if I want a whole listening experience. I only use my iPod to listen to favorite tracks at school or in train.

Wait until you have a lot of CDs that are distributed throughout where you live - and you've no idea where that CD is! Having them on a PC/media player is great as everything is just there!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2009 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I've heard that iTunes is a bit processor hungry - and that would be a good enough reason for me to avoid it if there are alternatives.

I suppose. But it depends, because some of its features are very handy (audio file converting, simple to make playlists, lots of track information like recently added/played, most played etc., eq, iTunes album art). But since I've nothing really to compare it to... well, I've nothing to compare it to.

But what else am I going to use? I have a Mac and and an a iPod. biggrin
  6. I've been using MediaMonkey the last few months and I've been finding out what it can do - and it seems to be able to do most of the things that you mention, Steven. And there are programs out there that allows you to convert audio files.

So, there are other things out there that does allow non-iTunes people to have the same functionality. But I can see an advantage to Apple that seems to be good at providing a single platform for all their products: Macs, iPods, iTunes, etc.

I assume that iTunes/iPods still can't play WMA files? If this is so, is it Windows that are resistant to allowing Apple add this to their iPod functionality? If I were forced to move over to an iPod I'd have to convert quite a few WMA files to mp3.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Steven wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I've heard that iTunes is a bit processor hungry - and that would be a good enough reason for me to avoid it if there are alternatives.

I suppose. But it depends, because some of its features are very handy (audio file converting, simple to make playlists, lots of track information like recently added/played, most played etc., eq, iTunes album art). But since I've nothing really to compare it to... well, I've nothing to compare it to.

But what else am I going to use? I have a Mac and and an a iPod. biggrin

The same for me. :apple: biggrin
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Miya wrote

Wait until you have a lot of CDs that are distributed throughout where you live - and you've no idea where that CD is! Having them on a PC/media player is great as everything is just there!!

I have 'em all on PC actually wink biggrin