• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2009
    Do we HAVE to have a number one favourite score? Is it all that weird that some people don't? I mean, I can't even decide who my favourite composer is, let alone my favourite score. My alliances lies with too many... dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Steven wrote
    Do we HAVE to have a number one favourite score? Is it all that weird that some people don't? I mean, I can't even decide who my favourite composer is, let alone my favourite score.

I agree. I could never decide which is my favourite score the same way I couldn´t decide a favourite film. Simply impossible. Actually I´d find pretty hard to choose my 5 fav scores or films.

Easier with the best TV show though: "24"! tongue Nah, best TV show ever IMO is "The X Files".
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Do we HAVE to have a number one favourite score? Is it all that weird that some people don't? I mean, I can't even decide who my favourite composer is, let alone my favourite score. My alliances lies with too many... dizzy

Not weird at all. To be honest, it's a struggle to narrow it down to a shortlist of ten! I know some people have an instant answer to the question, but in a way I hope I never do - people who say "my favourite score has always been X and will always be X" must feel a little bit restricted by that (eg, however good a new score which comes along might be, in their eyes it won't be as good as X and they will react to it accordingly).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2009 edited
    Marselus wrote
    Easier with the best TV show though: "24"! tongue Nah, best TV show ever IMO is "The X Files".

WRONG! It's The Sopranos and always will be. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote

Not weird at all. To be honest, it's a struggle to narrow it down to a shortlist of ten! I know some people have an instant answer to the question, but in a way I hope I never do - people who say "my favourite score has always been X and will always be X" must feel a little bit restricted by that (eg, however good a new score which comes along might be, in their eyes it won't be as good as X and they will react to it accordingly).

Exactly. I could definitely draw up a short list of scores I'd lay my life on the line for, but I could never really quantify between them (even though I've tried). It gets to a point where it becomes like apples and oranges, so I end up having many No.1 scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, if you don't want to do so, then don't. What's the point of arguing.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote

There's always a point to arguing!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote
    Marselus wrote

Pah!
    It's Babylon 5.
    And even if it weren't Babylon 5, it would be Westwing.

Anyway, favourite score: CONAN, by Crom.
    (I don't really need to explain that one, do I?)

Favourite acronym: ROTDCMSIWFOHL
    (Rolling Over The Deck Clasping My Stomach In Wild Fits Of Hysterical Laughter ...always tends to stop chat/thread conversations that feauture entirely too many ROFLs, LOLs and RTFMs dead in their track).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Marselus wrote

FACT! beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

No, you don't have to answer and just like you Steven, I can't!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote

Arguing..? Say wha?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    people who say "my favourite score has always been X and will always be X" must feel a little bit restricted by that (eg, however good a new score which comes along might be, in their eyes it won't be as good as X and they will react to it accordingly).

Not at all. I really hope that one day someone, somewhere will write something as great or even better than Raiders... but since seeing the film as 6 year old and hearing that iconic score I haven't heard anything better. There have been scores that have come close... Empire, CutThroat Island, The Sea Hawk, Braveheart, etc... but even as I write those title out I still consider Raiders to be the finest score I've ever heard!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    Now its very difficult to say, Where Eagles Dare, Star Trek TMP, Superman, the list goes on.
    Goldsmith Rules!!
  1. Atham wrote
    Filmscoregirl wrote
    My favorite score is Apollo 13 - James Horner. I love the solo trumpet work by Tim Morrison, the vocals, the patriotism, the melodies, the emotion, the tension, the triumph, the hope, the bravery - all melded together in such fantastic music that I will never grow tired of and love the rest of my life.

I can understand why you chose this score as your favorite!
    The expanded promo score for Apollo 13 is very good indeed! It's high on my list that's for sure!

I believe your expanded version came from my direction a few years back Filmscoregirl!

Yes, I think so! I'm very grateful for that, thanks! It makes a HUGE difference without the dialogue and tunes in between.
  2. Marselus wrote
    Steven wrote
    Do we HAVE to have a number one favourite score? Is it all that weird that some people don't? I mean, I can't even decide who my favourite composer is, let alone my favourite score.

I agree. I could never decide which is my favourite score the same way I couldn´t decide a favourite film. Simply impossible. Actually I´d find pretty hard to choose my 5 fav scores or films.

And I'm with you Marselus! The X-Files is definitely the best! smile (Though not the last two years of it.)

I think naming favorite movies would be easier than scores, because at least you could do one in each genre, right? I guess we could try that for film scores too. smile Favorite Western score, Comedy score, Action/Adventure, etc....That might be fun, eh?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Marselus wrote

FACT! beer

Ditto! punk

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES is the score. It has made a huge impact on my interest in soundtracks.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I decide to limit this to favourite SOUNDTRACK rather than score as it appears in the film, as that's a whole other thing and experience.

Within that, 'favourite' also changes according to season, mood and where you're at in life, among other things. So it's impossible to pinpoint. However, there are certain "cornerstone" soundtracks that have been with me throughout my soundtrack-appreciative life. JURASSIC PARK, obviously, which was one of my earliest soundtrack CD's alongside THE ABYSS, and which I know by heart. RETURN OF THE JEDI, my favourite STAR WARS score. The three Elfman classics NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS, BATMAN and EDWARD SCISSORHANDS. Zimmer's THE ROCK.

If someone put a gun to my head and asked me to name just ONE, I would probably go for JURASSIC PARK, though.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    And having chosen a single score I would appreciate it if Anthony would get off my case. He said nothing to Steven and others about not being able to choose a single score but decided to target me which he has also done when I've started up a new thread. The Goldsmith Happy Birthday could have been very easily included in the Goldsmith thread we already had. Nothing was said about that, however. I feel like I'm a target for some reason and I don't appreciate it.
    Thomas sad
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Southall wrote
    Marselus wrote

My dad's ordered the entire box set of The Sopranos. If I like it I'll have watched it all soon! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    I feel like I'm a target for some reason and I don't appreciate it.
    Thomas sad

Bah! No one is targeting you, Tom. Suck it up!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote
    sdtom wrote
    I feel like I'm a target for some reason and I don't appreciate it.
    Thomas sad

Bah! No one is targeting you, Tom. Suck it up!

-Erik-

I'm not targeting you (angelic), I'm just saying pick one! wink
  3. Should we just do a tournament? Just nominate 128 scores and let them duke it out for fun.

If I had to pick one right now I'd say...

THE LION IN WINTER by John Barry
    I'm your Piper at the gates of dawn.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2009
    Grimble Gromble wrote
    Should we just do a tournament? Just nominate 128 scores and let them duke it out for fun.

If I had to pick one right now I'd say...

THE LION IN WINTER by John Barry

beer

With a gun at my head this would be amongst the choices!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Interesting choice The Lion In Winter. Certainly a powerful one from Barry.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Everyone knows mine wink biggrin

Check my user info for the rest of the top 10.
  4. There has been more than one favourite score over the years... if you'd asked me in 1995, when I only knew 10, the best was CRIMSON TIDE. A few weeks later, it was DANCES WITH WOLVES again. If you'd asked me in 1997, PORTRAIT OF A LADY. If you'd asked me in 1998, it was KUNDUN. 1999, NOSTROMO. 2000, EMPIRE STRIKES BACK. 2002, ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST. 2004, VERTIGO. 2005, THE DANCER UPSTAIRS.

At this point, on this day, at this hour, I name...

PAPILLON (Jerry Goldsmith)

Ask me in two hours. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2009 edited
    If you would like me to pick one, Where Eagles Dare, from the first time I heard it in the theatre to now its my all time favorite score. I remember when I finally got this (years ago) from Soundtrack Album Retailers I couldn't get to my turntable (yes lets date myself) fast enough, and I played the sucker to death.

and yes as unbelievable as it sounds my all time favorite score is not a Goldsmith.
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2009 edited
    moonie wrote
    If you would like me to pick one, Where Eagles Dare, from the first time I heard it in the theatre to now its my all time favorite score. I remember when I finally got this (years ago) from Soundtrack Album Retailers I couldn't get to my turntable (yes lets date myself) fast enough, and I played the sucker to death.

and yes as unbelievable as it sounds my all time favorite score is not a Goldsmith.

WHERE EAGLES DARE is a helluva choice Mooner cool beer

And what a shame Ron Goodwin is another fine composer who is no longer with us, I met Ron a number of times and I can honestly say he was the funniest and nicest film composer I've met.
  5. Where eagles WHAT? biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website