• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2009
    What may seem like a simple question is probably the toughest to answer. It doesn't have to be by a famous composer, it doesn't have to be well know, it doesn't even have to be good! But what is your favourite score of all time (and why)?

For me, it's Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade - this is the score that made me start noticing film music. The ever-so many motifs and themes, the many many action set piece cues, and on top of that it's got the Raider's March!

I'll never forget the first time I heard cues like "Indy's Very First Adventure" or "Belly Of The Steel Beast". Not only does it have one of the best themes ever composed backing up the rear, it's got the Nazi march, themes for Indy and his father and the Holy Grail, and awesome motifs for Panama Hat and the Cross of Corodano.

"On The Tank" is one of the most thrilling action cues I've ever heard, and I'd memorised the entire score for the sequence after only a few listens as a kid.

Awesome stuff! I can't think of what else to write, but while it may not by my most-played score nowadays, it's what got me into this stuff!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2009
    Hmm, tough question it is! Though i'm deeply touched by the emtions hidden in the scores for Gattaca (Michael Nyman), Stay (Asche & Spencer) and The Fountain (Clint Mansell), I still believe that the first soundtrack I owned is still my favourite to date. It's Danny Elfman's work on the first Batman movie. Why? Because it's just so incredibly great! Thanks Danny!
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
  1. Glory by James Horner.

I fell in love with the score after seeing the powerful film. The theme is spectacular and Horner gives it a bunch of wonderful variations. Whether it's the boys choir of Harlem, full orchestra, or overlaying civil war style snare drums, it's excellent in every form.

I'm particularly fond of the last four tracks. "Preparations for Battle" begins very thoughtfully and goes into an epic, noble, and orchestral variation of the main theme, ending with some bells that play as the troops start their run toward the fort across the beach at dusk. "Charging Fort Wagner" is Horner's version of O Fortuna, but it's so great that I enjoy it more than that piece. "An Epitaph to War" is another restatement of the main theme, this time very sad and soft. It's incredibly reflective within the context of the film. As the film ends and the credits roll over a picture of the bronze memorial to the 54th Massachusettes, the spectacular "Closing Credits" piece plays. It starts out very cool, and leads into the best (imo) variation of the main theme. The piece slowly dies down at the end and just leaves me with a very thoughtful feeling. It leaves the ensuing silence nearly as enjoyable as when the music was playing and prompts a sigh of contentment every time.

I love that score!
  2. No one score takes presidence over any other, but groups do.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2009
    Very difficult to answer but I'll give it some thought. Can't guarantee I come up with an answer though.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    THE THIN RED LINE (Zimmer). Changed a large portion of my life and certainly made me listen to music in a wholly different way from that point onwards.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2009 edited
    Pick a single favorite? Can't do that!
    I'd have to place the names of my top 40 scores on a spinning wheel and choose the one it stops on I think.
    But some the these scores would have to include: The Empire Strikes Back, Krull, A Big Country, Star Trek: TMP, Close Encounters, The Sea Hawk, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Poltergeist, Star Trek 2 & 3, Young Sherlock Holmes, Jaws etc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It depends on the day of the week!

Regular candidates would include Star Trek: TMP, To Kill a Mockingbird, Once Upon a Time in the West, The Mission, Papillon and Spartacus.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    It's very easy for me to pick one favorite, as you know. bunny

I can write a long essay to tell you why, but I don't have enough time now, so please wait until I finish my graduation thesis! wink

By the way, my thesis is not about lions.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I find it hard enough to pick favourite scores from individual composers let alone one single score. At a push I would probably say the Star Wars trilogy. (Empire being my favourite of the three, although I prefer to think of them as one continuous work.)

But picking one seems like an injustice to the rest, I don't want to set it in stone like many often do.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK > The rest...

wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I just can't answer this.

I just can't nail any one score down without putting them into categories.

i.e.

Score that means the most to me personally and emotionally - E.T.

My all time favourite Williams score - Close Encounters of The 3rd Kind

The score that was most influential on me - Goldfinger

My favourite Barry score - On Her Majesty's Secret Service / The Lion In Winter

The score that I've probably played more than any other - Conan The Barbarian

...and on and on and on and on and on............
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    THE THIN RED LINE (Zimmer). Changed a large portion of my life and certainly made me listen to music in a wholly different way from that point onwards.

And the additional music by John Powell? tongue
  3. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country - Cliff Eidelman
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Still thinking
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Thank you for this very useful information. rolleyes
  4. KevinSmith wrote
    Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country - Cliff Eidelman

You've gotta give me some reasons for this one. I recently got this score and have yet to really get excited about it. I would love to know what to look out for.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    christopher wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

You've gotta give me some reasons for this one. I recently got this score and have yet to really get excited about it. I would love to know what to look out for.

shocked

Awesome scoring for one thing!

shocked
  5. Steven wrote
    christopher wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

shocked

shocked

What Steve said...
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2009
    spin Once upon a time in America spin

Same favorite score as Zimmer.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    christopher wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

shocked

shocked

Weeeeellllllllllll... it's good, and I like Eidelman a LOT, but there are some parts of it which are less-than-awesome ("The Battle for Peace", the score's showpiece, is a bit limp for one thing) and let's face it, it's probably not even one of the best five Star Trek scores, let alone the best score of all time. But everyone's tastes are different!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Eidelman's Trek score is my third favourite Trek score, not far behind Horner's score at all. It may lack the vigour and seafaring energy of Horner's classic score, but I find it to be just as excellent film scoring. Though, as you quite rightly said, each to his own... some may even like Rosenman's the most! (To be fair, I LOVE the theme Rosenman came up with for that film. love )
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It's pretty amazing, but out of ten films, I don't think the Star Trek series ever actually received a bad score. If we're ranking them then at least three of Goldsmith's and both of Horner's would come before Eidelman's for me... but they're all pretty good. Even McCarthy's has its moments.
  6. A) the overture, nuff said. It's the musical definition of a space opera. A Holst homage, not ripoff

B) the end credits, again nuff said. Eidelman's effort has more emotion to it, and the suite format much more rewarding than Goldsmith's title-middle-title.

C) first use of choir in Trek, and by far the most effective use

D) first use of ethnic instruments

E) Eidelman's top notch action writing, much more in the style of a thriller than Horner's swashbuckling and Goldsmith's identifiable action style.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I would dispute D (Goldsmith and Horner's Klingon music?) and E, there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    plindboe wrote
    spin Once upon a time in America spin

Same favorite score as Zimmer.

Peter smile

Don't you mean Once Upon a Time in the West? Or was it really America who's Zimmer's favourite as well?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    OUATIA!? Ouataoifdgois#(*$ ? ?!?!

Could you please be a little more accurate in your writings?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Yes, sorry, I shall make it clearer.

OUATIA.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Read a couple of post above Demetris.
    Kazoo