• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2009
    A new joint leader! And with his first set of guesses, too.

1: NunoM - 23 points
    1= Erik Woods - 23 points
    3: Steven - 19 points
    3= John Chambers - 19 points
    5: Thomas Glorieux - 18 points
    6: Timmer - 17 points
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    cry

Where are these clues? I needs them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2009 edited
    I got them all except one. Once James updates the list I'll have 24 points.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

It merely proves that your memory is better than mine, I know every clip there....it's just dredging it out that's the difficult part slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Yup... so close to full marks. I suspect he's going to get the missing one before too long. It would be an impressive feat to get full marks without any clues.

1: Erik Woods - 24 points
    2: NunoM - 23 points
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

It merely proves that your memory is better than mine, I know every clip there....it's just dredging it out that's the difficult part slant

It's not a test of our allegiance to Goldsmith, it's a test of our memory as you quite rightly say*. I think I've got everyone I know, the rest are complete unknowns to me. Though I can guess which era in Goldsmith's career they are probably from.

*I say this because I'm embarrassed that I haven't got over 20.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I had one small clue! But I did finally manage to get them all!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Well done Erik!

1: Erik Woods - 25 points

Everyone else can keep playing though... perhaps I'll introduce a tie-breaker if anyone else gets full marks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2009
    Sent my guesses last night. I'll be happy with 10 points though I won't even get that far sad
  1. I hope to get at least 15. I don't know much of the older stuff (before the mid 70s).
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2009
    3: Timme - 19 points
    4: Steven - 19 points
    4= John Chambers - 19 points
    6: Thomas Glorieux - 18 points
    7: Timmer - 17 points
    7= DreamTheater - 17 points
    9: BhelPuri - 8 points

Is anyone else interested in playing? Shall I bother posting any clues?
  2. I'll play this weekend, but not having any clues (at any point) is kind of fun, imo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2009
    I plan on playing too.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2009 edited
    3: Timme - 22 points
    6= Timmer - 18 points
    7: DreamTheater - 17 points
    9: BhelPuri - 9 points

I'll leave it open till the end of the weekend to let other people send some guesses in. If anyone can get all 25 in one go then I think that's the only way of edging ahead of Erik!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2009
    Southall wrote
    6= Timmer - 17 points
    7: DreamTheater - 17 points
    9: BhelPuri - 8 points

I'll leave it open till the end of the weekend to let other people send some guesses in. If anyone can get all 25 in one go then I think that's the only way of edging ahead of Erik!

I can't strain my old brain anymore. I agree that unless someone sends in 25 correct guesses in one go then Erik wins.

p.s. You didn't update me.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    p.s. You didn't update me.

Oops, I do apologise. I didn't update BP either.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    James,
    Did I get all wrong with my last PM?

Boy! My hunches all amounted to wild stabs. crazy

I'm amazed at how you folks can identify those clips. punk All the action stuff kind of blurs into one for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2009 edited
    It's essentially identifying which era they come from, if they are filled with sound effects, it's mostly 80s stuff. And just listening where the theme comes in the cue, because Goldsmith wrote his action stuff based on his themes, sometimes simply around the main theme, that was the genious part about him, and why he wrote so much scores with their own personality.

But it goes to show I'm not the biggest Goldsmith connoisseur in the world.

Erik you are the clear winner, ..................bastard. tongue
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2009
    DreamTheater wrote:
    But it goes to show I'm not the biggest Goldsmith connoisseur in the world.

That's like saying you can only play at Grade 5 on the piano... it's still very good, just not as good as someone at Grade 6.
  3. Hehe, grade 5 is still pretty sweet.

But I had hoped to know a lot more from Goldsmith, I mean he's one of my top three composers and there's just tons I'm not familiar with, especially his older material (like pre 1975), which I don't like listening too much to I have to admit shame or I just don't know.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2009
    DreamTheater wrote
    ...especially his older material (like pre 1975), which I don't like listening too much to I have to admit shame or I just don't know.

uhm

You are missing out on sooooooooooo much! I'm interested to know what turns you off his pre-1975 work. Why is that year your cut off?

I mean, one year earlier you get one of Goldsmith's masterpieces, Chinatown. Or the TV mini-series QBVII.

Papillon is 1973 and it's really modern for it's time.

Wild Rovers... one of Goldsmith's great westerns.

In 1970 Goldsmith's knocked out 2 WWII classics... Patton and Tora! Tora! Tora!

The Sand Pebbles is also a lot more modern then you think with a dynamite main theme!

The Blue Max is one of my Top 5 Goldsmith scores. A soaring adventure score. If you are turned off by the sound quality of the original soundtrack recording then track down the splendid 16 minute suite re-recorded in 1987 which was re-released with a new title called Goldsmith Conducted Goldsmith on Silva Screen Records. Trust me, you won't be disappointed. I love the use of the wind machine in that score.

A Patch of Blue is such a mature work coming from Goldsmith at such a young age.

Rio Conchos, a blistering western score that was wonderfully re-recorded by Intrada Records. The OST is on FSM.

Try those out! You might be pleasantly surprised.

-Erik-
  4. Hey Erik thanks for your comment. I know I'm missing out but it's mostly because of sound quality issues, I didn't like some of the releases you mentioned. I only have Patton and Papillon (which I bought a few months ago). But that french release sounds phenomenal, so I like it, and will continue to like it when I hear it more.

I admit there was a time I wouldn't give some scores the time of day, simple because I was into something else or it didn't stand out after one listen (which is my main problem, come to think of it), so I dismiss it. Wild Rovers, prime example: I heard that one but nothing stood out, so I quickly forgot about it. Fact is, most of the music I'm familiar with, I already heard in the movies. And before 1975 I just didn't watch too many, I was born that year smile And The Blue Max is indeed wonderful, I too have the Silva Screen compilation so that's an allright one in my book, but then again I had no need for the expanded score, as those 16 minutes are enough for me.

What I want to say is, it's mostly because of my own ignorance and my dislike of these older, harsher sounding recordings that there's lots I didn't like listening to, Goldsmith or anyone else for that matter. But these recent times I found myself revisiting older scores that I didn't like before so maybe it's time to just do that.

Thanks again for your recommendations, will do my best to check em out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2009
    James Horner.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    James Horner.

A random comment from the thunderer!?? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Nah, just trying to steer things back on-topic! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The final leaderboard... well done to Erik! And well done to everyone else. Lots of points here, considering there were no clues, and not all of the clips were from famous scores.

6= Timmer - 18 points
    8: DreamTheater - 17 points
    8= plindboe - 17 points
    10: Christopher - 10 points
    11: BhelPuri - 9 points

The answers...

1. Chain Reaction
    2. Extreme Prejudice
    3. Papillon
    4. Outland
    5. Take a Hard Ride
    6. Supergirl
    7. Star Trek: Insurrection
    8. The Wind and the Lion
    9. The Edge
    10. Under Fire
    11. Total Recall
    12. US Marshals
    13. Six Degrees of Separation
    14. Caboblanco
    15. Rambo 2
    16. Powder
    17. The Final Conflict
    18. The Blue Max
    19. Patton
    20. Wild Rovers
    21. Logan’s Run
    22. Gremlins 2
    23. Bad Girls
    24. The Secret of NIMH
    25. Masada
  5. Drats, Extreme Prejudice and Outland, I should have known those 2, I own the bloody things angry

Still, thanks for the trip down memory lane
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  6. A couple of questions, James.

Is the clip from Chain Reaction one of the two tracks featured in the Goldsmith Box?

Is the clip from Patton from the re-recording or the OST?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I believe the clip from Chain Reaction was "Ice Chase", which is indeed on the Fox Box.

Patton is the Varese re-recording. That piece ("German March") does not feature in that form on the FSM release of the original tracks. (I much prefer the re-recording, I have to say.)