• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Prelude - John Barry - Raise the Titanic
    It's Only Gold/End Credits - John Debney - Cutthroat Island
    Man Title - Basil Poledouris - Quigley Down Under
    End Titles - Richard Harvey - Animal Farm
    Looking at Heaven - Bruce Broughton - Tombstone
    The Enterprise - Jerry Goldsmith - Star Trek: The Motion Picture
    The Chairman's Waltz - John Williams - Memoirs of a Geisha
    Star Trek VI suite - Cliff Eidelman - Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
    The Burning Bush - Hans Zimmer - Prince of Egypt
    Harry in Winter - Patrick Doyle - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
    Reunion with Gurney - Toto - Dune
    End Credits - James Horner - The Land Before Time
    Finale - Georges Delerue - The Black Stallion Returns
    End Title - Ennio Morricone - The Untouchables
    Finale - Trevor Jones - The Dark Crystal

Time - 79:19 minutes

Explanations
    1) Great short starter cue. I always loved Barry's main theme for this
    2) It would be a sin if this one wasn't on here.
    3) Fun, laidback, memorable theme to help the listener relax after 10 minutes of Cutthroat.
    4) First use of choir on the CD, great summary of the themes in the score, with a heavenly reprise of the main theme
    5) See #2, Broughton at his best.
    6) See #5, Goldsmith at his best
    7) A small subtle cue with a violin solo gives the listener a break with the orchestral cues
    8) Best ending credits of the Star Trek series.
    9) Best cue from one of Zimmer's top scores, and some middle eastern sound for variety.
    10) Some added romance, even if the cue is repetitive.
    11) first use of the electric guitar then transforms into a heartbreaking orchestral performance
    12) See #6, love the fading cello ending.
    13) See #2, great main theme where Delerue is at his best.
    14) Rousing, heroic, even if Morricone didn't like it
    15) No explanations needed, this cue is the last because the ending where the final salute of the main theme then the major chord finish, blows me away everytime.

Overall, comments and suggestions are welcome as always.
    Some questions from me:

What's the strongest cues on the CD?
    What's the weakest cues on the CD?
    How's the CD order?
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2009
    One thing that screams out to me is the lack of anything pre-1979.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Ok, "MODERN film music for dummies".
  3. It is quite hard to make a good selection that wouldn´t tire the newbie. It´s only under that consideration that I can accept that Poledouris is represented by Quigley and not by Conan. Perfect selections for Goldsmith, Zimmer, Horner, Jones. Morricone is great, but I would have chosen something more quiet like Once Upon A Time In America, because that´s where he really shines through as a master. The Undiscovered Country is a perfect addition because of its Mars references. Williams HAS to get another track from his more famous scores, and I would definitely include something classic, like El Cid´s love theme or King of Kings or some Korngold, and, just to represent the modern approaches, Chevaliers de Sangreal would be nice, and then something from Powell, like X-Men 3 or Hancock. Overall, a nice selection, though it hurts me personally to find no James Newton Howard in this. Hand of Destiny. Nuff said.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    You could add a DJ Tiesto remix too! People love those! *cough* :p

Yes, I do know this could get me banned.
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2009 edited
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    It is quite hard to make a good selection that wouldn´t tire the newbie. It´s only under that consideration that I can accept that Poledouris is represented by Quigley and not by Conan. Perfect selections for Goldsmith, Zimmer, Horner, Jones. Morricone is great, but I would have chosen something more quiet like Once Upon A Time In America, because that´s where he really shines through as a master. The Undiscovered Country is a perfect addition because of its Mars references. Williams HAS to get another track from his more famous scores, and I would definitely include something classic, like El Cid´s love theme or King of Kings or some Korngold, and, just to represent the modern approaches, Chevaliers de Sangreal would be nice, and then something from Powell, like X-Men 3 or Hancock. Overall, a nice selection, though it hurts me personally to find no James Newton Howard in this. Hand of Destiny. Nuff said.

Honestly, the Williams cue was the last piece of the puzzle. I needed a cue that was xxxx length, and the waltz fit. Plus, it's a needed style change from the previous cues which are by and large largely orchestral cues. It's subtly is an asset in this case.

I don't have any golden age scores.

James Newton Howard and Conan The Barbarian 'Riders of Doom' is on the next CD. Powell is not.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    KevinSmith wrote
    Powell is not.

wave tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Oh wait we didn't have films prior to 1979. I know I go overboard on the older material but at least I try to listen to newer material.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    OK, so firstly it appears that you are wisely avoiding things that are extremely famous (ie there's no Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Dances with Wolves etc).

If you're restricting yourself to stuff of the last 30 years, then it's a nice compilation. I have occasionally made such compilations for people myself, and they are very different from what I would make for me to listen to in the car, for instance. Usually it's wise to stick to the melodic (as you have), frequently to the romantic also.

Of course, there's no perfect answer. If I were making a compilation of film music from the last 30 years then there's no way that "Journey to the Island" from Jurassic Park woudn't be on it, and no way there wouldn't be something from The Mission on it. Otherwise, it's fair game!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    A compilation like this will NEVER really please us hardcore fans. But then again, it isn't for us. It's a great selection of great music, and it's not as though the 'newbie' will know that it's missing a million and one other great tracks.
    Anthony:
    Sorry, but I haven't found a Powell score that blows me away.

Southall:
    The Mission suite is on my next CD

Steven:
    I'm just aiming for a comprehensive CD of great film music which I have, one composer per cue.

Also, no one has commented on my choices for Toto and Harvey.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    KevinSmith wrote
    Anthony:
    Sorry, but I haven't found a Powell score that blows me away.

"The End" from United 93?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Well I'm hoping this is just the first volume in a 30 (give or take) volume set, because though it's a nice selection, I wouldn't call it ultimate. It's only so if it's part of a series, otherwise you should call it 'An introduction into film music...' or something like that.

Like the other members said, tons of great stuff isn't on there, because there's only so much you can do with 80 minutes of space. But I know I'd have fun with it in the case I was a dummie.

EDIT: ok I just now read your comment on your next CD. So you may forget what I said. I know I'd want a hell of a lot more after that bunch of goodness.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. Well, this sure looks like a CD I would purchase immediately wink

I think the selection is awesome, yet my order would be slightly different. It's of course all a matter of taste, but I would startly slowly, place some bombastic stuff occassionally and mix that with softer cues. And in the final 4 a 5 tracks, bombast away wink

Meaning, Cutthroat Island would be my final track smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  5. First, Tobias said The Enterprise should be last... Now you too? I don't think that Cutthroat has the best ending (last 30 seconds).

I don't mean ultimate is the sense of best ever. I mean ultimate in the sense of this is my best compilation CD yet.
  6. KevinSmith wrote
    First, Tobias said The Enterprise should be last... Now you too? I don't think that Cutthroat has the best ending (last 30 seconds).

I don't mean ultimate is the sense of best ever. I mean ultimate in the sense of this is my best compilation CD yet.

everyone has his own final choice to end a score eh wink
    The final seconds of The Dark Crystal is indeed amazing, and it should always end the score of the Dark Crystal, but everyone wants his CD to end differently

ah who cares, at least it is a beautiful score
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  7. Instead of 'The Chairman's Waltz', how about the 'Reprise from Schindler's List'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2009
    KevinSmith wrote
    Also, no one has commented on my choices for Toto and Harvey.

Well, everyone has his own tastes. If I were to make a compilation of my favourite 5,000 scores then neither Toto nor Harvey would be in the running, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't like them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote
    Well, everyone has his own tastes.

BAH!
    Relativism at its worst!

I say bring back the rack for pop artists going soundtrack on us (with the possible exception of Trevor Rabin, whom I like. And obviously everyone has to like what I like.)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Southall wrote
    Well, everyone has his own tastes.

BAH!
    Relativism at its worst!

I say bring back the rack for pop artists going soundtrack on us (with the possible exception of Trevor Rabin, whom I like. And obviously everyone has to like what I like.)

I beg to differ....

YES vomit
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2009
    Updated but seperate compilation:

You Are Karen/End Title - John Barry - Out of Africa
    It's Only Gold/End Credits - John Debney - Cutthroat Island
    Riders of Doom - Basil Poledouris - Conan The Barbarian
    Looking at Heaven - Bruce Broughton - Tombstone
    Finale - Alan Silvestri - The Abyss
    The Enterprise - Jerry Goldsmith - Star Trek: The Motion Picture
    Gabriel's Oboe - Ennio Morricone - The Mission
    The Burning Bush - Hans Zimmer - The Prince of Egypt
    The Rebel Fleet - John Williams - The Empire Strikes Back
    The Ludlows - James Horner - Legends of the Fall
    Finale - Georges Delerue - The Black Stallion Returns
    Finale - Trevor Jones - The Dark Crystal

Better?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It looks like a good compilation to me!? I'd listen to it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Where is the older material????????
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    Where is the older material????????

OLD!!!

biggrin

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    30's, 40's, 50's, and 60's
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    KevinSmith wrote
    Ok, "MODERN film music for dummies".

There's your answer, Tom.

-Erik-
  8. KevinSmith wrote
    First, Tobias said The Enterprise should be last... Now you too? I don't think that Cutthroat has the best ending (last 30 seconds).

...and Kevin, I did also say that I would have put the Delerue cue next to last. Did you forget that? rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Erik Woods wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    Ok, "MODERN film music for dummies".

There's your answer, Tom.

-Erik-

That is a much better title for it Erik and will end my part of the discussion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Then please for the love of god say it. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Then please for the love of god say it. rolleyes

OK.

It

Happy now?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn