• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2009
    DAVID RAKSIN AT M-G-M OFFERS A BOUNTY OF MUSIC FROM THE GIFTED COMPOSER

Film Score Monthly’s new 5-disc set features a baker’s dozen of melodic scores by the great Golden Age composer of Laura

Linden, VA – February 16, 2009 – One of the greatest composers of the Golden Age gets his due with an unprecedented five-CD set of his film music for one studio: David Raksin at M-G-M.

Raksin was a highly advanced and modern composer with a gift for making complicated and dense orchestrations sound direct and accessible to the ear. Although highly intellectual, he was devoted to melody and the baker's dozen of scores on this collection shine with beautiful tunes, from the romantic strains of The Vintage (1957) to the moody and captivating The Man with a Cloak (1951). Other scores in the set are Across the Wide Missouri (1951), Kind Lady (1951), The Girl in White (1952), The Magnificent Yankee (1950), The Next Voice You Hear... (1950), Right Cross (1950), Grounds for Marriage (1950), A Lady Without Passport (1950), Until They Sail (1957), The Reformer and the Redhead (1950), and the Spencer Tracy-Katharine Hepburn classic, Pat and Mike (1952).

Raksin's indelible style from his classic scores such as Laura, The Bad and the Beautiful and Forever Amber is in full evidence here, and even those unfamiliar with his work will be delighted.

The documentation for this project is so extensive that it could not be contained in the CD booklet or online notes alone. The CD booklet includes an essay by Raksin's friend and scholar Marilee Bradford (with information from his personal papers) and producer's note by Lukas Kendall, while the FSM website houses – for free – complete liner notes for each film with track-by-track commentary.

This collection is almost entirely in monaural sound; extensive restoration work has been done to the magnetic film, optical film and acetate sources for a smooth listening experience. The five-disc set is packaged in what would normally be a 3-CD "butterfly" or "clamshell" jewel box with the additional discs stored on hinged trays. The 36-page booklet is illustrated not only with copious movie posters and stills but rare Raksin photographs for an attractive "scrapbook" presentation.

For a composer who gave the best and demanded the best, FSM has given the best. This 5-CD, six-hour presentation is limited to 1,500 copies.

It is available now from Screen Archives Entertainment at www.screenarchives.com.

Check it out at http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=11558
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    An impressive release for composer that is vastly underrepresented on disc. Certainly, Raksin is not for everyone. He can be quite challenging sometimes. I'd recommend the famous RCA sampler first (LAURA/BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL/etc.) before making a plunge on a set like this.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2009 edited
    Thor wrote
    An impressive release for composer that is vastly underrepresented on disc. Certainly, Raksin is not for everyone. He can be quite challenging sometimes. I'd recommend the famous RCA sampler first (LAURA/BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL/etc.) before making a plunge on a set like this.

I'm neither familiar enough with Raksin nor loaded with enough money to take a shot in the dark.

The only Raksin CD I have is the Gerhardt that Thor mentions.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. It's good to see that Raksin's discography is increased significantly with this 5-disc release. But there's not enough in this set for me to purchase.

I'm not too keen on the increasing trend to release many scores in multiple-CD sets. I very rarely want everything but sometimes there's something in there that I would buy as a separate CD.

But I'm sure that this set will sell out quite quickly.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    This will no doubt be great news for some people, but like Alan I won't be buying it - $60 is too much to lay down for a blind purchase, no matter how much music's there. I do like the Raksin albums I own (The Bad and the Beautiful, Forever Amber, and that one Intrada did whose name I can't even remember, which was paired with a stupendous Friedhofer score) but that's not enough for me to lay down the cash. Hopefully some reviews will appear before it sells out, but unfortunately that assumes that someone will review it. The most likely candidate is Tom - if he doesn't, I don't suppose anyone will.
  2. I'm not sure that Tom gets free multi-disc sets from FSM and so he'll have to lay down the cash.

There's certainly nothing in the clips that jumps out at me...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2009
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I'm not sure that Tom gets free multi-disc sets from FSM and so he'll have to lay down the cash.

There's certainly nothing in the clips that jumps out at me...

Normally multi-cd sets are not part of review copies. I'll ask anyway and then decide.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2009
    The set is on the way for me since it is Golden Age Material.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2009
    sdtom wrote

So anything is good to you just because it's Golden Age? Don't you think that there's good Golden Age and bad Golden Age as well? (not talking about this set in particular, just in general).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2009
    Thor wrote
    sdtom wrote

So anything is good to you just because it's Golden Age? Don't you think that there's good Golden Age and bad Golden Age as well? (not talking about this set in particular, just in general).

Huh? Where did that come from? Tom runs a Golden Age themed web site therefore this type of release is perfect for Tom to review and is why he got a review copy.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I think Thor maybe wasn't aware that Tom was getting a *review* copy.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I think that is the case Martijn. I'm also getting copies of "The Prince and the Pauper," "Death of a Salesman," and the Johnny Mandel set.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ah, gotcha! I didn't get the part about review copy and all that. I thought you just automatically bought it because it was Golden Age. Sorry for the confusion.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    I thought you just automatically bought it because it was Golden Age.

Well, he is known for doing that, too! Big fan of the "olf stuff" he is! wink

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2009
    A fan I am cheesy
  3. There was an order problem, and as a result, 30 copies of Kritzerland's recent sold out release of "Laura", are going to be available for sale. They've stated at FSM just a bit ago that it might go back on sale tomorrow with those 30 copies.

EDIT:
    He's just changed it:

The title will go live at midnight tonight and stay live until the remainder of the abandoned copies are sold, which won't take very long.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2013
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2013/06/04/too-late-blues/

A newer release from Kritzerland. I've had four tracks on a Dot LP I transferred to CD which David modified like Henry Mancini use to but this is a complete version. Beautiful theme and some improv jazz mixed in.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2013
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2013/08/22/f … 945raksin/

One of his new Kritzerland releases.
    Tom