• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2009
    Economy is heavily screwing with your British pounds. Your country should have removed them years ago wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    Looks good indeed.

Why not put up the Estimated value in EUR as well. Who uses Sterlings anyway these days?

It's not our fault that the rest of the world has an inferiority complex.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    Economy is heavily screwing with your British pounds. Your country should have removed them years ago wink

Ah, but for me personally the pound has stayed the same in value. Your damn euro's have gone up! tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2009 edited
    Euro is definitely not under an inferiority complex as we speak, in relevance to what happens to BPounds and US.dollars. As for inferiority complexes in general, it would appear contrary, with a country who is a member of a large union like the E.U and that's the only one refusing to change their currency to match the very union. wink tongue kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I just don't see why using ponds while Euros more commonly used, and eventually will replace the Sterling anyway.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    As for inferiority complexes in general, it would appear contrary, with a country who is a member of a large union like the E.U and that's the only one refusing to change their currency to match the very union. wink tongue kiss

Us Brits like to do the opposite. Just take a look at our comedy. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2009
    Bregt wrote
    I just don't see why using ponds while Euros more commonly used, and eventually will replace the Sterling anyway.

It won't. What's the point?
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    Euro is definitely not under an inferiority complex as we speak, in relevance to what happens to BPounds and US.dollars. As for inferiority complexes in general, it would appear contrary, with a country who is a member of a large union like the E.U and that's the only one refusing to change their currency to match the very union. wink tongue kiss

It would make sense for a strong currency zone to maintain its independence under certain circumstances than for it to be with a group of weaker currencies that had greater collective strength than it. (Ie. Britain won't benefit as much as Slovenia from conversion to the Euro.) It all has to do with whether you want an independent monetary policy.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

It would make sense for a strong currency zone to maintain its independence under certain circumstances than for it to be with a group of weaker currencies that had greater collective strength than it. (Ie. Britain won't benefit as much as Slovenia from conversion to the Euro.) It all has to do with whether you want an independent monetary policy.

And we do. Of course, in reality our government and (supposedly, but given recent events obviously not) "independent" central bank have squandered that, but if they'd handled things better then we'd be much stronger for it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2009 edited
    But they didn't, and you're not.
    Britain has always been rather arrogant in how it approached European unity (and in all honesty, has gotten more out of the bargain in thirty years than any other country, bar perhaps France), but this has always been the risk.

Now that the "unimaginable" (actually the "very, very imaginable") has happened, nobody's been able to step up to the plate, and the piper has to be paid.

The interesting thing will be to see how the pound will maintain itself over the course of the recession. It should be interesting revisiting this thread in, say, two, three yeas time.

(Who's this Giacchino fellow people keep interrupting this interesting subject with?)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Our aloof refusal to join the Euro would have been a great success had it been coupled with strong, intelligent financial leadership from the government and from industry. But it wasn't.

I wonder, what benefits the central currency will bring to different member states during this recession. It will be interesting to return in, say, two or three years to see how the only economy really comparable to Britain's at the time of the Euro's launch (Germany's) fares. I think that will be a useful gauge as to whether our politicians (acting, it has to be said, on the back of massive public opposition to joining the Euro - based on nationalistic, rather than economic, grounds) made the right call or not.

I'm interested to know why you say Britain's got more from European unity than any other country. Reading our jingoistic press would lead one to believe that no country has given more but taken less.

Giacchino fans, feel free to join the debate.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

But that whilom strong currency is on the opposite site as we speak, and its fate would appear so, long before the downfall.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2009 edited
    Continuing the discussion from the Giacchino topic.

EDIT: Mods, feel free to change the title.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    Continuing the discussion from the Giacchino topic.

EDIT: Mods, feel free to change the title.

Should have called the topic 'LOADS OF MONEY!'

depends if you've ever heard of Harry Enfield
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    I think you meant moolah and not mullah. The latter is the term for an Islamic priest.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BhelPuri wrote
    I think you meant moolah and not mullah. The latter is the term for an Islamic priest.

LOL biggrin I missed that.