• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2009
    Time to open a new Now Playing thread...

NP: Star Wars - John Williams

It has been a while... but it's always great to return to this classic!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2009 edited
    May I be the first to congratulate you on this, the second "Now Playing" thread at Maintitles?

NP: The Lazarus Project - Brian Tyler
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    May I be the first to congratulate you on this, the second "Now Playing" thread at Maintitles?

lol

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Southall wrote

This isn't bad at all. Tyler's strongest score in ages. Can't remember seeing anyone else mention it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Time to open a new Now Playing thread...

NP: Star Wars - John Williams

It has been a while... but it's always great to return to this classic!

-Erik-

A great start to the new thread beer

NP : VERTICAL LIMIT - James Newton Howard

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Southall wrote

This isn't bad at all. Tyler's strongest score in ages. Can't remember seeing anyone else mention it.

I liked it (and mentioned it some days ago wink ). Not his best score in ages IMO, but really liked his non over the top approach for a change.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Marselus wrote
    Southall wrote

I liked it (and mentioned it some days ago wink ). Not his best score in ages IMO, but really liked his non over the top approach for a change.

I think he's been on a run for about five years of writing generally decent stuff - neither notably good nor notably bad - and while this still falls within "generally decent", it's at the top end of that stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Southall wrote

I think he's been on a run for about five years of writing generally decent stuff - neither notably good nor notably bad - and while this still falls within "generally decent", it's at the top end of that stuff.

That's very odd for me to read 'cause i remember the score in the (Dead-boring btw) movie to be of equal dead-boreness. Is it possible it sounds so vastly different on CD? Has he recorded music that isn't in the movie? Perhaps.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    That's very odd for me to read 'cause i remember the score in the (Dead-boring btw) movie to be of equal dead-boreness. Is it possible it sounds so vastly different on CD?

YES!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I believe you, Southall liking it......well yeah, it must be something different there wink But am i interested? Well honestly, in the whole Thomas Newman and generally more organic film music - spree of late, i am not sure smile At least for now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Doubt - Howard Shore

Pretty good!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    IS it better than the promo, James? 'Cause i don't know if you've heard it, but it was pretty standard and nothing special in there was to be found.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Shawshank Redemption Thomas Nemwan

His best score? Who knows. It's my favourite though, while Little Women is my favourite Newman album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2009 edited
    NP: Alien³ - Elliot Goldenthal

I'm listening to the Adagio at the moment and I think that this is a fine cue to end my evening's listening. Beautiful stuff.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Star Trek Insurrection (Goldsmith)

Probably my favourite treck score since the original one. And the most equilibrated album (or bootleg) for sure.

A lovely main theme and a lot of action ( yes, sometimes a little bit on autopilot but with a splendid recording mixing orchestra and electronics) and some little reprises of all themes.

"The Drones attack" , "the hollow ship" or "the healing Process" are superb futuristic music.

The lovely tunes are pure Goldsmith, They touches me very much.

I will play next: Star Trek First Contact Complete.

This time I will listen the whole score without watching who composed what track. So I will judge the music for what it is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Spirited Away - Joe Hisaishi

One of his most orchestral works for Miyazaki, and much better than Howl (both score and film). Also here are many beautiful and memorable themes, as always. And his PIANO! smile
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2009
    Alexandre Desplat - Nid de Guepes

I tried listening to this many years ago but didn't make it beyond the first few cues. Then a few months ago I saw the movie and totally loved it (movie and score).
    Just started a fresh listen... there's a stirring string theme that's to die for!
  1. Miya wrote
    NP: Spirited Away - Joe Hisaishi

One of his most orchestral works for Miyazaki, and much better than Howl (both score and film). Also here are many beautiful and memorable themes, as always. And his PIANO! smile

I liked Howl more (the film). As for the score, I don't have either one, but they kind of sounded similar while watching the films. All of his piano stuff sounds the same to me.
  2. BhelPuri wrote
    Alexandre Desplat - Nid de Guepes

I tried listening to this many years ago but didn't make it beyond the first few cues. Then a few months ago I saw the movie and totally loved it (movie and score).
    Just started a fresh listen... there's a stirring string theme that's to die for!

This is a score that I've struggled to get into myself. It sounds as though I need to see the movie and then revisit this one?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP Outlander (Geoff Zanelli)

As much fun as the score is in the movie, a typical RC main theme and a secondary (although beautiful) theme are not enough to sustain 64 minutes of music using all the tricks from the factory.

And why, WHY do these guys keep doing the same: burying a symphonic score under tons of rythms or enhancing the score (I´d say damaging) by adding sampled brass / strings? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote

As much fun as the score is in the movie, a typical RC main theme and a secondary (although beautiful) theme are not enough to sustain 64 minutes of music using all the tricks from the factory.

And why, WHY do these guys keep doing the same: burying a symphonic score under tons of rythms or enhancing the score (I´d say damaging) by adding sampled brass / strings? confused

This is how they learned to work. IF they leave their mostly library-based material NAKED, without tons of reverb, eq and electronic enhancement and fx, it will sound fake and dry.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote

This is how they learned to work. IF they leave their mostly library-based material NAKED, without tons of reverb, eq and electronic enhancement and fx, it will sound fake and dry.

I thought exactly the same, but then I watched this:

http://www.vimeo.com/2931602

I mean it proves it can be done without all the reverb and electronic enhancement you mention, and make it sound purely orchestral. That´s why I really don´t understand.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    But those are different arrangments, for the concert usage only. If they left the original orchestrations and arrangements that were aimed for the movie, it would sound dry and naked. They don't want a "heavy"orchestral character in those films. They want them ultra-easily digestible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    But those are different arrangments, for the concert usage only. If they left the original orchestrations and arrangements that were aimed for the movie, it would sound dry and naked. They don't want a "heavy"orchestral character in those films. They want them ultra-easily digestible.

But why would anyone want music that sounds blatantly "worse"? If you're going to overwhelm your 60-piece string section by dubbing synth strings on top of it, why bother hiring the real ones in the first place?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

But why would anyone want music that sounds blatantly "worse"? If you're going to overwhelm your 60-piece string section by dubbing synth strings on top of it, why bother hiring the real ones in the first place?

Exactly, why don´t do it right for the movie (if you have the means, that they usually have as they do blockbusters), instead of doing it right for the concert suite.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Kung Fu Panda (Zimmer and Powel)

One of the most underrated ( yes, I said underrated ) scores in a long time.

Come on guys (reviewers) this is a increible score! It fits perfect in the movie, it incredibly entertaning outside the movie ( well devoloped and edited album )

THE CHINESE ORCHESTRATIONS AND THEMES ARE AWESOME!

i really can't understand how people can't be amazed with this score...it is beyond me tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

New generation directors who have obviously not grown up with orchestral material primarily, who are forming and following trends that are aiming their pop-corn flicks to similarly oriented, younger audiences who won't appreciate an orchestral quality in their fast-food cinematic products. Think about that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Kung Fu Panda (Zimmer and Powel)

One of the most underrated ( yes, I said underrated ) scores in a long time.

Come on guys (reviewers) this is a increible score! It fits perfect in the movie, it incredibly entertaning outside the movie ( well devoloped and edited album )

THE CHINESE ORCHESTRATIONS AND THEMES ARE AWESOME!

i really can't understand how people can't be amazed with this score...it is beyond me tongue

Unfortunately, because this is a forum, you'll only encourage more underrating with comments like that. But I agree, I think it's fantastic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

New generation directors who have obviously not grown up with orchestral material primarily, who are forming and following trends that are aiming their pop-corn flicks to similarly oriented, younger audiences who won't appreciate an orchestral quality in their fast-food cinematic products. Think about that.

But if the directors feel that way then it's because they've been conditioned to do so by the prolifieration of the cheap Media Ventures sound in blockbuster films. The early Zimmer action scores featured generally very small orchestras (for budgetary reasons) - there are certainly no budgetary restrictions any more for the RC action scores, so I'm sure they could change that perception if they wanted to. Not every film demands a grand orchestral score - in fact, perhaps not many really do - but if you're going to hire an orchestra, you may as well use it properly (if you even know how to, which many of these composers probably don't). Stick a piece of RC action music in a film without the synths and I guarantee you that the young, impressionable audience will react with amazement at how much better it sounds.