• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorpegastar
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2009 edited
    I want to expand my breadth of knowledge so I have been asking everyone, who is your favorite film composer? What is your favorite score? Mancini? Hermann? Elfman? John Williams? John Barry? Michael Kamen?

Just found out Michael J Lewis who is one of my favs and did the score for the animated The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is making his own movie and has samples of the score on his website http://www.youmakemydaythemovie.com definitely worth checking out. Wrote songs for it as well, can see music video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMvqfxsyYQs
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2009
    Wow you get around pegastar, you will enjoy this board much better anyway and as I stated over there, hehe, Sir Goldsmith!!
    Goldsmith Rules!!
  1. Score for score, Jerry Goldsmith -- hands down. Second cplace would probably fall to James Horner.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. Hans Zimmer.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    So this is what it feels like to go insane...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Justin Boggan - Symphonette 2

'nuff said!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote

'nuff said!

-Erik-

biggrin wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Erik Woods wrote

'nuff said!

-Erik-

LMAO :lmao:

We need one more emoticon! --> lol <-- isn't enough!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I don't have one but 5 top composers, choosing only one from which would be unfair.

- Hans Zimmer
    - John Williams
    - James Newton Howard
    - Jerry Goldsmith
    - John Powell

And yes, ALAN MENKEN!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    For his film scores its Hugo Friedhofer. For his scores and classical material its Vaughan Williams
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Michael G! punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    My top 4 has never changed....

JOHN BARRY

JOHN WILLIAMS

JERRY GOLDSMITH

ENNIO MORRICONE

After this it's a toss up between the fabulous likes of Bernard Herrmann, Basil Poledouris, Georges Delerue, Elmer Bernstein, Elliot Goldenthal........in fact, judging by the fact of how many scores I have by that particular composer then JAMES HORNER is probably that 5th place spot.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You have The Three J's too! (Except my Three J's are John, James and Jerry.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Geoff Zanelli
    Graeme Revell
    Gustavo Santaolalla
    Ramin Djawadi

Seriously,

Jerry Goldsmith
    Hans Zimmer
    John Powell
    Michael Giacchino
    John Williams
    James Newton Howard
    John Debney
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Favourite ever:

Jerry Goldsmith

Favourite living:

James Newton Howard / Thomas Newman / James Horner
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Hans Zimmer & Joe Hisaishi cool

And Thomas Newman. I haven't heard so many of his works yet, but so far, all what I listened impressed me.

John Powell will be in my favorites too, because I liked many of his music I've heard in fragments (in films, clips, and at StreamingSoundtracks), even though I don't have much of his albums.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    My all-time favourite is ENNIO MORRICONE

Second comes JAMES HORNER followed by JOHN WILLIAMS.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    Zbigniew Preisner, Eleni Karaindrou, Craig Armstrong, Lisa Gerrard, Kenji Kawai, Johan Söderqvist, Armand Amar, Jan A.P Kaczmarek, Ennio Morricone, Ryuichi Sakamoto etc.
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    James Horner!

For me, he almost always delievers something worth listening. And that's not the case with a lot of other currently working composers.
  3. BasilB wrote
    James Horner!

For me, he almost always delievers something worth listening. And that's not the case with a lot of other currently working composers.

I agree, though I think that has dimished over the recent years, but at least once a year he produces something worthwile. But he's still my fave composer because of his ability to write thematically strong and hugely exciting scores, you can't forget something like that, even if the quality nowadays isn't up to it anymore.

Runners-up are without a doubt John Williams and Jerry Goldsmith, along with Horner, the geniuses who made my body hairs stand up and my heartrate rising for many times in my life. My life would be a lot more boring without them.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    Geoff Zanelli
    Graeme Revell
    Gustavo Santaolalla
    Ramin Djawadi

Oooohoho... Is funny because they aren't favorite composers.... Oooohoho.... oh yes.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. Hans Zimmer's my idol, but I do know the classiest of all classiest composers was and will forever remain Jerry Goldsmith

punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Geoff Zanelli
    Graeme Revell
    Gustavo Santaolalla
    Ramin Djawadi

Oooohoho... Is funny because they aren't favorite composers.... Oooohoho.... oh yes.

-Erik-

Love that show. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    My favourite in terms of actually knowing them would be David Arnold. A geezer. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Geoff Zanelli
    Graeme Revell
    Gustavo Santaolalla
    Ramin Djawadi

-Erik-

Hahaha is that the foreign guy at Peter's job who explains why something's funny? Love him! hahaha
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Hi Steve, love the show. What's your fourth favourite song by Chesney Hawkes?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Geoff Zanelli
    Graeme Revell
    Gustavo Santaolalla
    Ramin Djawadi

-Erik-

Hahaha is that the foreign guy at Peter's job who explains why something's funny? Love him! hahaha

His name is Fouad. wink

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah! Struggled but couldn't remember his name!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeah! Struggled but couldn't remember his name!

I only remembered because I saw an episode with him in it yesterday.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Geoff Zanelli
    Graeme Revell
    Gustavo Santaolalla
    Ramin Djawadi

-Erik-

His name is Fouad. wink

-Erik-

Can anyone Explain me all this???

(seriously...I want to smile or something , I don't want be dizzy )