• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthormarkrayen
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2009
    I just learned that a student film I wrote music for last April has been nominated for an Amandus award, a film competition for young film makers.

The film is online and can be seen at: http://www.nrk.no/p3tv/arkitektene-amandus-2009/

You can vote for the film by pressing the "Klikk her for å stemme" button.

The film is about a group of young children who attempt to prevent construction workers from pulling their tree house down. It has a very charming message and I'm sure it will come across clearly even to those who don't understand the language (there are no subtitles).

I had three days to write it, and was forced to record it with poor recording equipment (which explains the low mix). The musicians I managed to assemble (a piano sextet) were essentially sight-reading their parts, and a perfect synchronisation was therefore all the more difficult to achieve. Nevertheless, I feel the intent and spirit of the composition matches the visuals in an interesting way. Please take a look and tell me what you think!

- Mark
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I put my vote for it. Nice little film, I didn't need to know Norwegian to understand it, and a good and fitting score. Well done Mark smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    Thanks a lot, Tim. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2009
    Very nice music, Mark smile

The film is great too!
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2009 edited
    Thank you for your comment Ravi! The film is indeed superb considering it is a student film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2009
    He, he...quite nice for a student film, Mark. Loved the "bad" construction worker when he says "Nå er jeg drita lei! Nå river vi hele møkkahytta!". :D

Anyways, nice score as well; could have accompanied something even classier. Had a certain Bernstein/TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD vibe. Congrats on the nomination too!
    I am extremely serious.
  1. When he said WHAT? lol
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2009
    PawelStroinski wrote
    When he said WHAT? lol

Internal Norwegian thing, Pawel. It wouldn't be half as funny if I translated it to English.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2009 edited
    Thanks Thor for the comment, and I know! Really its the kids we're supposed to think are cute, but I sort of think the "bad guy" construction worker is just as cute with his hysterical accent...

I'm glad you made the Bernstein reference. "To Kill A Mockingbird" is one of my favourites and probably had a subliminal influence on the result. The concert version I have been preparing has an introduction similar to the opening titles of Bernstein's score. A bright single-voiced piano solo precedes the opening bars as heard in the film.