• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. His scores for THE MAN WHO CRIED and Coppola's YOUTH WITHOUT YOUTH are really strong. Now he's scoring Coppola's next - TETRO. I suspect the first piece that plays when you enter this site is one of his themes. It very much has his touch.
    More music ensues. Not so sure about the second, livelier piece for bandoneon and guitar - it could be Golijov, but not necessarily. The reed-led third cue sounds like a source cue, but is gorgeous in any case.

http://www.tetro.com/

The first, melancholy piece, however recalls his backing orchestration for the song 'How Slow the Wind'. One of the later cues - the fourth of the fifth - quotes the vocal melody of that piece (but not the lyrics) more explicitly. It's a new version of the piece, suggesting that it forms the basis for (some of) the score.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2009 edited
    Great, a new score of his! I loved his Youth Without Youth, a real underrated gem. It had that nostalgic touch that you so rarely hear nowadays. Haven't heard The Man Who Cried, but I will certainly be checking out Tetro (apparantly he's here to stay with Coppola?).
  2. On the CD for The Man Who Cried how much is actually the composer's original material?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. There's only 4 pieces, amounting to about 12 minutes. I think it's a very good 12 minutes. However if you've heard his concert piece 'Night of the Flying Horses', you've heard the best of it in its definitive arrangement.
  4. franz_conrad wrote
    There's only 4 pieces, amounting to about 12 minutes. I think it's a very good 12 minutes. However if you've heard his concert piece 'Night of the Flying Horses', you've heard the best of it in its definitive arrangement.

Thanks for the information.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. 'The Man Who Cried' score is all performed by Kronos Quartet, giving it a lean, austere gypsy sound. The 'Flying Horses' piece re-orchestrates it for full orchestra. Having seen this piece performed live by a string orchestra and vocalist, I can tell you - it's breathtaking.
  6. I've had a listen to available clips and I certainly noticed the difference in orchestation between the original score and the concert piece. My first impression is that the Kronos Quartet version is the more appealing - though I am partial to string quartets!!
  7. There's also a version for completely different instrumentation on Yo Yo Ma's Silk Road Ensemble album, 'New Impossibilities'. This piece has gotten around. wink
  8. franz_conrad wrote
    There's also a version for completely different instrumentation on Yo Yo Ma's Silk Road Ensemble album, 'New Impossibilities'. This piece has gotten around. wink

I notice that this version you mention is sub-7 minutes and is available as an individual download. Unfortunately, the earlier version - the concert piece - seems to be above the time that allows for a single track download.

I am tempted to get the 4 Kronos Quartet tracks from the OST.
  9. I'm hoping someone will release this new Golijov score eventually. Here's a taste:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CQgHoAl4fU
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2010
    Michael, i recently noticed this mentioning of the cue which you included in your compilation thread:

"Luna" from Ayre (Golijov/Santaolalla)

Care to share some info on the work, as well as the stylistic route of the music?

Thanks.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  10. It's not a film score album. It was a kind of folk song / classical crossover album featuring a suite of songs written by Golijov, and a suite by Berio (arranged by Golijov), all performed by the Andalusian Dogs (incl. Santaolalla) and Dawn Upshaw.

http://www2.deutschegrammophon.com/spec … lijov-ayre
    (soundclips should be available here)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anywhere near the quality of Coulais' songs, for instance? Or Nick Caves?
  11. Nothing like them. They're meant to feel like folk songs from a modern international migrant community. The Golijov songs are quite good, but they're pretty wild and I wouldn't assume they're to everyone's taste. 'Luna' (from that compilation) is a short instrumental piece for guitar. Sounclips would be your friend here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks. What's the instrumentation in there, in general terms and if you do remember / am not asking much?
  12. From that link I provided:

Golijov notes that he has long felt a connection to the music of Luciano Berio, and Ayre is scored for an ensemble similar to Berio’s. Golijov also incorporates the accordion and ronroco (an Argentinian variant of the charango, a South American fretted lute) as well as the laptop, which Golijov regards as a 21st-century folk instrument

Full list of players:

Performers
    David Krakauer (Clarinet)
    Mark Dresser (Double Bass)
    Bridget Kibbey (Harp)
    Todd Palmer (Clarinet)
    Tara O'Connor (Flute)
    Erik Friedlander (Cello)
    Jamey Haddad (Percussion)
    Jeremy Flower (Sound Effects)
    Dawn Upshaw (Soprano)
    Ljova (Viola)
    Gustavo Santaolalla (Guitar)
    Jeremy Flower (Laptop)
    Eric Poland (Percussion)
    James Sommerville (French Horn)
    Gustavo Santaolalla (Ron Roco)
    Michael Ward-Bergeman (Accordion)
    Gordon Gottlieb (Percussion)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The laptop, the 21-st century instrument, i loved that sentence! smile Sounds very interesting. One last question:

Uplifting or sentimental / moody?
  13. Seriously, go to Amazon and listen to the soundclips from every track. You'll know straight away if you're interested in the style. I think it's good, but I doubt there are many here that would agree.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks, will do so. I found that lately, i've been largely attracted to more eclectic listens. smile