• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2009
    INTRADA Announces:

MASTER OF THE WORLD/GOLIATH AND THE BARBARIANS
    Composed by Les Baxter
    INTRADA Signature Edition ISE 1029

Intrada's latest Signature Edition release is a 2-CD set featuring Les Baxter scores from two colorful American Pictures International spectaculars. Master of the World (1961) tells the tale of a man determined to end war, even if he must destroy the combined military forces of the world himself. Vincent Price plays Captain Robur, a monomaniacal airman targeting warmongering countries from his fabulous zepplin, the Albatross. A kidnapped scientist named Prudent (Henry Hull) his daughter Dorothy (Mary Webster) and government operative John Strock (Charles Bronson) are unwilling passengers who strive to undermine Robur’s plan from within.

Two years earlier, Baxter would score Goliath and the Barbarians (1959). Set in the year 587 AD, innocent Italian villagers find themselves beset by a vicious horde of marauding barbarians. What the villainous crew fails to realize, however, is that Goliath’s father is among the casualties and the aggrieved son must settle the score. Disguised as a simple woodcutter Goliath is tested by the barbarians in a series of baroque physical challenges, not to mention the erotic wiles of the daughter of the Duke of barbarians. Goliath eventually leads the charge and sends the barbarians packing.

For both film's, Baxter broke away from his usual hit pop/cocktail lounge music and composed colorful, epic adventure music. The original LP release for Master of the World was a rerecording of the score, and that stereo LP presentation is presented here in its entirety. After an exhaustive search, Intrada was able to locate and include here 20 minutes of the original film recording of the score, in perfect stereo sound and featuring most of the key set pieces from the film. Goliath and the Barbarians also presents the entire stereo LP program. This two-CD set is limited to 1000 copies.

INTRADA Signature Editions ISE 1029
    Retail Price: $24.99
    IN STOCK NOW
    For track listing and sound samples, please visit
    http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.6170/.f
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Good releases, I'm going to have to think about this?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2009 edited
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2007/09/21/m … es-baxter/

I reviewed this in September of 2007 and always had a fondness for it. Worth exploring.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Sold out? dizzy
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Not to my knowledge?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Click the link.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. once again, a 1000 copies sell out, no matter which album it is rolleyes
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2009 edited
    They've hit fanboy gold with this trend; who would have thought these limited edition thingies would sell like crazy regardless of composer, score or subj. quality?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    It is sold out!!! I'm surprised to say the least. Apparently there is lots of money in the soundtrack community, Border's book shoppers,(60 people in line when I was there) and SD Padre baseball fans (record attendance for their first home stand).
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Our(US) March retail sales figures came out and it was some of the worst figures in the history of America. Glad to see there are still thriving businesses.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    once again, a 1000 copies sell out, no matter which album it is rolleyes

True but this one sounds like a winner. The samples are just lovely. I would have picked this one over the Goldsmith but I really want to save the $$.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    good marketing on the part of Intrada by getting the money upfront
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2009
    For those of you who didn't know Baxter did some conducting of the muzak 101 Strings
  2. sdtom wrote
    For those of you who didn't know Baxter did some conducting of the muzak 101 Strings

Sorry, Tom but none of that made any sense to me at all. sad
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    This is a Les Baxter thread. There were album upon album from a group called the 101 Strings. Les Baxter did some conducting of the orchestra without credit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The 101 Strings were one of the original sources of elevator music.
  3. sdtom wrote
    This is a Les Baxter thread. There were album upon album from a group called the 101 Strings. Les Baxter did some conducting of the orchestra without credit.

Thanks, Tom. I hadn't heard on 101 Strings.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/101_Strings

Thomas

4. Tom, thanks again!
  5. La-La Land Records announces
    THE DUNWICH HORROR: LIMITED EDITION

Music by Les Baxter
    Limited Edition of 1200

SHIPPING MAY 12th
    RETAIL PRICE: $19.98

ORDER "THE DUNWICH HORROR: LIMITED EDITION" NOW from www.lalalandrecords.com

La-La Land Records presents the premiere CD release of Les Baxter's (HOUSE OF USHER, PANIC IN THE YEAR ZERO, MAN WITH THE X-RAY EYES) score to the 1970 AIP Lovecraft-inspired horror feature THE DUNWICH HORROR, starring Dean Stockwell, Sandra Dee and Ed Begley, and directed by Daniel Haller. Baxter's acclaimed score, anchored by an infectious main theme, whisks the listener away in a lush soundscape, tinged with psychedelic motifs, electronics and rock. The original LP assembly is presented here, remastered, and supplemented with more than 20 minutes of BONUS TRACKS, obtained from the Les Baxter estate, containing previously unreleased original DUNWICH score cues -- several of them not used in the finished film. CD Booklet features in-depth liner notes by Jeff Bond. This is a limited edition of only 1200 Units.

TRACK LISTING:

1. Dunwich (Main Title) (2:25)
    2. Sacrifice Of The Virgin (1:54)
    3. Black Mass (2:47)
    4. Sensual Hallucinations (2:20)
    5. Strange Sleep (2:25)
    6. Cult Party (3:49)
    7. Necronomicon (1:59)
    8. Reincarnation (5:14)
    9. Devil Cult (1:33)
    10. Strange Sleep (4:35)
    11. Devil's Witchcraft (1:51)

BONUS TRACKS
    12. AIP Logo #1 (Not Used) /
    The Kettle / The Glass Prism /
    The Black Mass /
    Devil Cult (Complete Version) (7:34)

13. The Promise / Liz and Armitage /
    Sensual Visions / Devil's Hopyard Parts 1-3 /
    Cult Party (8:30)

14. Elizabeth's Car /
    Cora's Car Wreck (Not Used) /
    Cora's Death (Not Used) /
    THE DUNWICH HORROR-
    End Credits (Not Used) (2:01)

15. Loops, Stingers and
    Alternate AIP LOGO Theme
    (Not Used) (3:37)

Total Time: 52:53
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I wasn't impressed at all with the film
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    I wasn't impressed at all with the film

The film is very much an oddity from what I remember? Kinda psychodelic.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Not a typical Sandra Dee film
  6. I never even heard of this composere before several weeks agon. Now Intrada and La-La Land bring out his goodies? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Baxter has been a fixture for a long time in the industry.
  7. sdtom wrote
    Baxter has been a fixture for a long time in the industry.

sorry, never heard of him
    That doesn't mean he isn't any good of course, but hadn't had the pleasure of hearing his music
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    He never really got past the 'B' status as far as films are concerned.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2009
    sdtom wrote
    He never really got past the 'B' status as far as films are concerned.

Far more talented than some of the hacks around now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2009
    I agree he found a market and was successful within it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2009
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2009/05/02/m … es-baxter/

After a couple of re-writes the review of the release
    Thomas