• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2009
    DemonStar wrote
    For me, the technical aspect (in the film) and artistic aspect (on CD) of a score are both equally important. Two sides of the same coin. But I agree proper album editing makes a better listening experience. That's why Zimmer does that (though I think some of his edits are horrid).

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm very interested in how music works in films (in fact, I wrote my whole master thesis on that), but that's part of my FILM interest, not MUSIC interest (in which soundtrack listening belongs).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2009 edited
    I agree with you on that. But editing isn't ALWAYS necessary to make a score a good musical experience. A lot of scores sound great even taken unedited from the movie (at least to me). wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DemonStar wrote
    I agree with you on that. But editing isn't ALWAYS necessary to make a score a good musical experience. A lot of scores sound great even taken unedited from the movie (at least to me). wink

Yeah, I'm not totally dogmatic. Once in a blue moon, such as score may appear. But I would set it to perhaps 1% of all releases.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Surely, a bit like me, you're slightly agnostic about it? I find it hard to believe that you've never listened to a score as a souvenir of the film.

It doesn't happen often, but it does happen, and indeed I think this whole debate opened up after I said that was PRECISELY why I was looking forward to the Airplane album. With so many short cues, and it being such an esoteric score, I can't imagine that somebody who just wants a good standalone listening experience, divorced from the film, will enjoy it. But for someone like me who loves and is completely familiar with the film, I'm sure it will be a great experience. I'm trying to think of other scores where I think that way and can't off the top of my head, but there must be some. I happen to hold Airplane in such fond regard that I will be lurching into extreme fanboy territory when listening to this one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I listen to film music 'cause the music echoes to my feelings and emotions. I couldn't give a damn about the films most of the times.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    I listen to film music 'cause the music echoes to my feelings and emotions. I couldn't give a damn about the films most of the times.

That's me too most of the time, however certain scores are very hard to separate from the images the score accompanies.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Southall wrote
    ...the Airplane album. With so many short cues, and it being such an esoteric score, I can't imagine that somebody who just wants a good standalone listening experience, divorced from the film, will enjoy it...

After seeing that Airplane was being released - and hearing the comments such as the one above I decided to get a 4-minute track off one of the Silva re-recordings. That sounded great and I'm wondering it that would be enough for someone who hasn't seen the film more than 1-2 times and wants a reasonable resumé of the themes?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Steven wrote
    ...my CDs are collecting dust at the moment...

Same here - most of my music gets played off my PC or mp3 player; listening to my large "best of" playlist. It's rare that I listen to an entire CD all the way through.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2009
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Southall wrote
    ...the Airplane album. With so many short cues, and it being such an esoteric score, I can't imagine that somebody who just wants a good standalone listening experience, divorced from the film, will enjoy it...

After seeing that Airplane was being released - and hearing the comments such as the one above I decided to get a 4-minute track off one of the Silva re-recordings. That sounded great and I'm wondering it that would be enough for someone who hasn't seen the film more than 1-2 times and wants a reasonable resumé of the themes?

First off, there is over 41 minutes of original underscore that Elmer wrote. So it's more than just the few short themes repeated a few times. Secondly, if you look at the track list that La-La Land Records provided, you'll see that cues have been combined to provide lengthier tracks, and a more cohesive listening experience. (And IMHO, it's quite enjoyable.)

So while you and Southall might not envision it being an enjoyable listen, I frankly beg to differ.
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
  3. dgoldwas wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Southall wrote

First off, there is over 41 minutes of original underscore that Elmer wrote. So it's more than just the few short themes repeated a few times. Secondly, if you look at the track list that La-La Land Records provided, you'll see that cues have been combined to provide lengthier tracks, and a more cohesive listening experience. (And IMHO, it's quite enjoyable.)

So while you and Southall might not envision it being an enjoyable listen, I frankly beg to differ.

And that's an opinion that I also value. I've very little experience with this score - apart from this short suite. And I look forward to hearing samples when they are available (if they are not yet available). I don't want to have to rush to order this before it sells out and then find that it's not something I really wanted to buy. I've been stung a bit too much recently by the frenzy that's being generated with some of the releases recently.
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    Three words: Classic Elmer Bernstein.

If that's not enough of a selling point... wink
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
  4. dgoldwas wrote
    Three words: Classic Elmer Bernstein.

If that's not enough of a selling point... wink

I hear what you're saying! But, damn, I wish you hadn't!! wink

Apart from what I remember from the film (very vague) and from what I've heard from that short suite of music my experience with this particular score from Bernstein is non-existent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I think the Master of the World, recently released from Intrada, was an example of milking it as someone put it. You have a 31 minute score that could have been easily partnered with the Goliath and the Barbarians onto one CD. There was an awful lot of repeating just to get a little more. The vocal could have been a bonus track. I understand but I think the music writing and a novel is a good analogy. Some of it just doesn't need to be heard or read. I have to trust a good producer/editor.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2009
    A couple of points....

1. I enjoy listening to the Mancini albums and from what I understand there were actually two separate recording sessions when he did the music for a film. He made a separate orchestration for the album release as well as the OST. You were listening to film music but you weren't as it was arranged in a big band style (Breakfast at Tiffany's and Peter Gunn) as an example. It was a true listening experience.
    2. I for one don't have to hear or read everything. I had a discussion with someone who would have paid big dollars to read every word, note, and idea of a Harry Potter novel.
    listen to more classical music!