• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2009
    To me, CDs always sound a bit flat, so I'm always tweaking the audio settings on my PC to flesh it all out a bit. At the moment it's all set up to louden things up a bit, add more bass and a bit more echo. With aggressive action stuff it really makes it sound deep and violent. cool

Does anyone else use any cool effects to make music sound beefier (or on the contrary)?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    What´s exactly your setup then?
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I do play around with the bass/treble on CD player and the numerous output presets in jetAudio and Winamp, but I never edit the original music file itself unless it's from a poor quality bootleg or something.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Marselus wrote
    What´s exactly your setup then?

I don't physically edit the music file, but I change all the settings on my soundcard (Audigy 2 ZS...yeah, old school!), and media player (iTunes/Winamp). I've then got my PC hooked up to my TV amplifier so it all comes out on a nice 5.1 home theater system. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Depends on the system you have. I have pro-gear at home with studio speakers which are capable of reproducing the entire correct frequency spectrum as it was recorded, mixed and intended and at the right analogies; so i don't tweak anything.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And one should also pay special care to the room acoustics, in which you usually listen to usually listen to your music. All non-studios, have natural frequencies and their harmonics which along with standing waves, reinforce some frequencies whilst they decrease the strength of others, unfortunately.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    CHANGING ANYTHING is a sign of a weak system. I use very nice equipment which I won't go into now and most of the time it is fine. I say most of the time because nothing will beat a live performance in a place with proper acoustics. My recent concert proved to me how inadequate my system can be. Stravinsky was correct when he said music wasn't meant to be recorded.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
  1. I often change the sound as well, but never to the point that it crosses the line
    sometimes a little less and just putting your volume up is a better way
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I like more treble and a bit more bass no matter where I'm listening to my music. It's just a personal preference.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    An equalizer offers millions of possible settings and in my opninion these are millions of possibilities to decrease the sound quality...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I press "Play".
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Pfff... I don't even do that.
    I take out the CD and hum the main theme while staring intently at it.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2009
    Martijn wrote

cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Martijn wrote

lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    I like more treble and a bit more bass no matter where I'm listening to my music. It's just a personal preference.

-Erik-

Actually you'll find that more people automatically do that too smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's the one annoying thing about iPods: no freely manageable equalizer.
    Just a number of standard "enhancing presets", none of which really suit my needs.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    It's the one annoying thing about iPods: no freely manageable equalizer.
    Just a number of standard "enhancing presets", none of which really suit my needs.

The same as the majority of cheap hi-fi / mini hi-fi systems smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    I'm playing most of my music while I'm behind the pc, so I have everything ripped to mp3 256/320 or sometimes flac. I invested in a Creative XFi audio card that can upscale stereo sound to surround, removes some crisp. And let me tell you, it makes A HUGE difference. When I'm in the car and put in the regular cd, it all sounds so dull, so amplifying it really improves my experience.

Btw, I play back the music on a 4.1 surround set of Altec Lansing. Not too expensive, but I'm considering upgrading to a Logitech Z-5500.
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I still contend that if it is properly recorded you need nothing unless you have less than equipment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    I still contend that if it is properly recorded you need nothing unless you have less than equipment.

What exactly is your definition of properly recorded? Everyone's preferences are different.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The ideal situation is a church like the one I attended not too long ago and heard the San Diego Chamber Orchestra perform without any amplification or equipment of any sort. The acoustics were wonderful. If a preamp, amp, miking had been to used to accentuate the bass, cymbals, etc. it would have taken away from the performance in my opinion only.

I agree with you that most everyone has different feelings about how it should sound in the home. I've got speakers that provide dynamic range I'm happy with while others don't so I can see the need to change to improve the sound from a smaller set of speakers connected to a computer. A nice tube amp with Klipsch speakers really doesn't require an equalizer. But I'm spoiled.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2009
    Other than Thomas and Thomas who doesn't use settings
  2. sdtom wrote
    The ideal situation is a church...

I'd agree there, Tom.

I've only had limited experience of listening to music in a church setting - I was lucky enough to attend a concert in a church in Lyon during a conference - and it just sounded wonderful. The music just enveloped the audience and everything just sounded crystal clear.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2009
    There was also a church that Herrmann used in England that had incredible acoustics.