• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2010
    It's good to see some support for Gunning, he's a damn fine composer.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    like most good composers who never get the big break
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Or get rejected for "classier" / "bigger" names.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    sometimes it is all about who you know
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well very true; in all business and especially show business.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2010
    i'm getting this chandos release
  1. I've only dipped into this release and just bought some of the tracks: the Poirot variations track, the Rosemary & Thyme caprice and the Rebecca track. Lovely stuff.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2010
    There's a video of the recording session for the Gunning/Chandos cd-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQavWuRRmsM

Awesome! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2010 edited
    Thanks for that. My favorite part of the video is when Gunning talks about Cold Lazarus where they had the opportunity to use the WHOLE BBC Philharmonic in the recording. He then gives this joyful smile. No more words are needed to tell us just how much he loves this kind of music! Just a playful smile... almost like the kid in him is coming out!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2010 edited
    This is really odd. Somehow I only saw his name mentioned a few times on this forum, and then suddenly lots of people here know and love him. I must have not looked very well!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2010
    Bregt wrote
    This is really odd. Somehow I only saw his name mentioned a few times on this forum, and then suddenly lots of people here know and love him. I must have not looked very well!

He's been mentioned over the years Bregt, usually when me or someone else plays Firelight, Cold Lazarus or Wild Africa, he doesn't have many CD's of his music available so normally his name won't pop up that often.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Perhaps some people know him also for his non-film music output? Me, I've only known him for his film/TV work and even that was limited to his music for Wild Africa. This was followed much later by his music for Cold Lazarus and Karaoke.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2010
    Timmer wrote
    Bregt wrote

He's been mentioned over the years Bregt, usually when me or someone else plays Firelight, Cold Lazarus or Wild Africa, he doesn't have many CD's of his music available so normally his name won't pop up that often.

If you explore the Albany label there is more of his material. I'm just waiting for my review copy to arrive from Chandos.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Will you add it to MainTitles too? cheesy
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    What would you recommend to someone who's never heard anything more than 'FIRELIGHT' (and who doesn't really remember that and should probably revisit) by the man?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Start with When the Whales Came. Lovely lyrical score.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    No, start with Poirot, especially if you're acquainted with the series. One of my favourite CDs of all time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    http://www.albanyrecords.com/Merchant2/ … de=TROY686

I'm probably the only one on mt that has this recording but I'm absolutely thrilled with it.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Bregt wrote
    Will you add it to MainTitles too? cheesy

I feel there is certainly enough interest to do so Bregt. I probably won't get the recording till the 20th or so as it takes long enough for post from England.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    sdtom wrote
    http://www.albanyrecords.com/Merchant2/ … de=TROY686

I'm probably the only one on mt that has this recording but I'm absolutely thrilled with it.
    Thomas

I have it too but don't play it often. My top Gunning works are his scores to Firelight, followed by La Mome (very brief score), and Cold Lazarus.
    Wild Africa is nice but I need to be in the right mood for all the action and adventure. When The Whales Came gets a bit repetitive with the main theme appearing in many forms throughout. Poirot has an outstanding main theme that everyone has heard. The rest of the material didn't quite catch my interest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2010
    Just got my copy of the new Chandos recording of music of Christopher Gunning. Poirot Variants, a concerto for alto saxophone and orchestra is something that a pops orchestra should consider adding to their selection. This is a first time ever hearing this wonderful piece.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Since I seem to be on an audio bashing lately I can say that the 24-bit/96Hz recording to CD is very nice. They or my equipment take the harshy edge away from the lossless download. Say what you will but there is a difference at least in the first two selections on the CD. At the suggestion of Erik I had my computer checked and was told that it is what it is, nothing wrong. I was told that purchasing a Mac would improve things for me.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Actually, Tom, my suggestion was for you to play the FLAC files directly from your computer into your stereo system. I mentioned that there could be something faulty with your burning software since you copied the files from your computer to CD and then played that CD on your system. Skip the burning process and just play the FLAC files as they are.

Try that.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    tom what does purchasing a mac has to do with improving sound quality ? Do they brainwash you with crap or what ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    If he's using iTunes, some of the builds' interactions with various sound cards and various versions of Windows produce horrible, devastating effects to the sound. So for an iTunes user, switching to Mac could definitely improve the sound quality. And I'm sure the problems are not limited just to iTunes. On most PC setups the sound goes through so many steps and so much processing - both digital and analog - to get from the audio file to your speakers, that there are hundreds of things that can go wrong.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2010 edited
    Well, tell that to the hordes of composers using pc's, cubase and professional audio equipment, including myself (i am no composer though). wink It's all about the setup, it has absolutely nothing to do with pc's and mac's. Oh and mac's? Now intel, ati, same stuff there's in a pc. If you're using a 20 dollar creative sound blaster and compare it with the much more expensive cards in macs or even worse - in a mac pro, then what do you expect? If you compare similar pc stuff though on the same scale, then we are talking.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2010
    I know, I'm just saying, it's not completely without justification for someone to suggest that switching to a mac would improve the sound quality in certain situations. Using iTunes on XP a few years ago with a cheap sound card, I had awful microstutters. It had to do with how iTunes for PC was written, and I was under the impression that iTunes for Mac didn't suffer from the same ailments since the software was running on its native OS rather than being a port. More of a programming issue than an actual equipment issue.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2010
    Mac doesn't have as cheap sound cards as a cheap pc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2010 edited
    Unless you can convince me otherwise D or Erik I think the difference lies in the Jolida JD100A tube CD player. I'm not saying they're not better units on the market but I've not been able to hear the difference. The digital process without going through the CD player sounds different.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/jolida-jd100_e.html

Thomas