• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. What is the best Compilation CD of Different Original Film Soundtrack of All Time?

I realise that there are a lot to choose from, and that some of the best include Hitchcock compilations (by different composers and by different films by Bernard Herrmann), as well as some great Morricone ones, as well as some mediocre ones (like a 2-CD collection of Hans Zimmer from 10 years ago, with only one great tune), really great John Williams ones that were available in their entirety anyway, and of course, so much of what Silva Screen has done.

There are a lot of criterion to choose from as well. For me, that would include, film soundtrack themes that have never been available before, which I was desparate to have, even if it is just a bit here and there.

My favourite hands down is the Ennio Morricone double-CD with tracks from about 30 different films, from Good Bad Ugly to Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion.

I got a great one a few months ago to rival it from 1M1records.com which has scoring from High Tide and Road Games. And from Time Guardian. You know, that sci-fi film with Carrie Fisher no one has ever seen.

It's hard to choose a couple of favorites from so many different selections. They are my top two.

Honourable Mention: The Fantasy Film World of Bernard Herrmann

Simon
  2. Hey Simon welcome on board. wave

I know Erik Woods here knows a thing or two about great compilations, he introduced me to some of them.

You can't go wrong with Varese Sarabande: a 25th Anniversary Celebration, especially if you're into older film music. The best thing about this 4-CD set is how each track flows into the next, it's insanely well put together and every disc is a theme in itself, be it epic themes, or subdued beauty.

And I for one love Space and Beyond, a sci-fi compilation by Silva with the most famous space themes and the second CD entirely devoted to Star Trek. Space and Beyond II: Alien Invasion is also pretty good.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. DreamTheater wrote
    Hey Simon welcome on board. wave

I know Erik Woods here knows a thing or two about great compilations, he introduced me to some of them.

You can't go wrong with Varese Sarabande: a 25th Anniversary Celebration, especially if you're into older film music. The best thing about this 4-CD set is how each track flows into the next, it's insanely well put together and every disc is a theme in itself, be it epic themes, or subdued beauty.

And I for one love Space and Beyond, a sci-fi compilation by Silva with the most famous space themes and the second CD entirely devoted to Star Trek. Space and Beyond II: Alien Invasion is also pretty good.

Yep the Space and Beyond albums are legendary, definitely go for those smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2009
    Compilation material is a difficult one at best to try and put together. As an older member the Varese set is not older in my mind as an example. I think you need to try and narrow down the decade(s) you're most interested in and then go from there. Having said that I'll mention a favorite of mine with newer material which is The Big Picture/Cinc. Pops.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2009
    DreamTheater wrote
    You can't go wrong with Varese Sarabande: a 25th Anniversary Celebration, especially if you're into older film music. The best thing about this 4-CD set is how each track flows into the next, it's insanely well put together and every disc is a theme in itself, be it epic themes, or subdued beauty..

The 30th Anniversary set is pretty great too (arranged the same way!), and about 95% of it was totally new music to me!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2009
    Crikey shocked Tall order!... well, for my money for older (pre-eighties) scores, I don't think you can beat any of the Charles Gerhardt/National Philharmonic Orchestra compilations.
    Excellent, excellent material, with the finest performances of the best of the best of film.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Crikey shocked Tall order!... well, for my money for older (pre-eighties) scores, I don't think you can beat any of the Charles Gerhardt/National Philharmonic Orchestra compilations.
    Excellent, excellent material, with the finest performances of the best of the best of film.

Yeah, but none of them contained the ORIGINAL soundtrack recordings, which I assume it what Simon meant.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hmmmm. I didn't infer that from his post.
    Oh well. For what it's worth at any rate.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I didn't get that idea either.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I guess it was the word "original" in the headline that made me think so.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    He hasn't come back to respond so
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    We've been used. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2009
    cheesy